Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Warner Instant is Dropping Titles

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Eastmancolor

Eastmancolor

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted February 01 2014 - 11:50 PM

I recently noticed that titles are disappearing off of the Warner Archive Instant streaming site.  Titles like WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD, FOOTLIGHT PARADE, THE MASK OF FU MANCHU, MARK OF THE VAMPIRE and some others are gone.

Yes, DVD's exist for these films and I have them all, but it was nice to be able to watch them in HD.  Piped through my projector they looked great.  And since the vast majority of films on the site will never make their way to Blu-ray, it was nice having them available in HD.

I guess one shouldn't count on a film favorite always being available on Warner Instant.  Titles will randomly vanish.

Here's hoping that stops really soon!

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,080 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 02 2014 - 01:47 AM

I recently noticed that titles are disappearing off of the Warner Archive Instant streaming site.  Titles like WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD, FOOTLIGHT PARADE, THE MASK OF FU MANCHU, MARK OF THE VAMPIRE and some others are gone.

Yes, DVD's exist for these films and I have them all, but it was nice to be able to watch them in HD.  Piped through my projector they looked great.  And since the vast majority of films on the site will never make their way to Blu-ray, it was nice having them available in HD.

I guess one shouldn't count on a film favorite always being available on Warner Instant.  Titles will randomly vanish.

I'm not surprise by that as I expect more titles to appear to take those titles spot.

By the way, I just noticed that Mighty Joe Young and Son of Kong in HD are available to stream.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts

Posted February 02 2014 - 07:33 AM

Titles rotate in and out every few months. Like the film, buy a copy.
This simple fact remains... Rental Streaming doesn't replace a good purchased (digital or physical) film collection.
Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#4 of 26 ONLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,674 posts

Posted February 02 2014 - 09:46 AM

But why do films have to be removed at all.  

Once they've been prepared for streaming, what reason is there for taking them away?

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 880 posts

Posted February 02 2014 - 09:46 AM

Dropping titles...that is very disheartening.  I was really hoping they would continue to add and not delete any!   Also "THE NAKED AND THE DEAD" streaming is a terrible non anamorphic transfer with the terrible sound.    REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE is the full color version instead of the DVD which has the "golden" color tones of the original and DVD.

Ken

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Eastmancolor

Eastmancolor

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted February 02 2014 - 11:10 AM

Towergrove, as I noted in my initial post, I HAVE bought these titles on DVD in the past. I prefer owning physical discs, I have thousands of discs.

The WB Instant site has many of the films in HD, however. Physical discs for the vast majority of the titles are standard def. That's why I'm upset when a title is pulled. Sure I can still watch a SD disc (provided one exists) but I wanted to be able to see the films in HD as well.

And with my high speed hard wired Internet connection and Roku player being piped thru my digital projector, the picture quality is beautiful on most of the HD titles.

I just wish we could count on the films being there. Why must WB rotate out titles? They own them all so it's not a rights issue.

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,080 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 02 2014 - 03:15 PM

But why do films have to be removed at all.  

Once they've been prepared for streaming, what reason is there for taking them away?

I don't know, only Warner can answer that question.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 483 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted February 02 2014 - 04:39 PM

That's why i buy DVDs and BDs of films I know I will want to watch again and again. Trust no one and count the cards.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted February 02 2014 - 04:47 PM

I don't think it's Warner's intention to accumulate their entire library onto Warner Arcive Instant, but rather for it to be a boutique of lesser-known titles in rotation.

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts

Posted February 03 2014 - 09:47 AM

I don't think it's Warner's intention to accumulate their entire library onto Warner Arcive Instant, but rather for it to be a boutique of lesser-known titles in rotation.

Yes it was mentioned in interviews with Warner in the past that titles would rotate out. Its so the service stays fresh. I would like foe them to keep everything on there but it not gonna happen.
Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,098 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 03 2014 - 10:42 AM

The Disney vault idea is a horrible thing for consumers and a money maker for studios.  The stupidest part of it is that it encourages piracy.

• MatthewA likes this

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted February 03 2014 - 11:08 AM

Its the same model as Amazon Prime or any of the premium channels like HBOGO . Streaming movies are here today and gone tomorrow. I am not exactly sure how streaming works but could it be a storage problem, where they only have so much space or hard drive . to store what they are streaming. It would be better if they let you know in advance how long a title would be available. I am sure that some that are removed will eventually come back. That does happen with Amazon Prime. If the Warner streaming serice has a customer service e-mail you could request they return a favorite movie that they removed or  add the request to their Facebook wall.

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted February 03 2014 - 11:21 AM

Physical media triumphs again. 

• MatthewA and schan1269 like this
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,098 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 03 2014 - 04:11 PM

I disagree with that Gary. If a title is available for purchase digitally it should always be available for purchase. They can rotate stuff in and out of the streaming catalogs all they want but if a customer is looking to pay cash money for a purchase of a digital title that was ever available and its not there I say that's encouraging them to go pirate it.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn Park, MD

Posted February 03 2014 - 05:47 PM

eh i can't really condone that. I know when i was young i wanted to be a Zorro or a Scarlet Pimpernel (okay perhaps i still do) where when you don't get what you want, you are being "encouraged" to rise above and do things to right the wrongs....but to me part of that doesn't hold up when you grow up.

The companies have the right to chose their distribution. Just because i don't like it (in this case though it hardly bothers me), i don't really feel this is encouraging me to commit a crime. If anything i'm encouraged either to study their business practices or to wait and hope for change. I can't really agree that just because it is available illegally ,and if not legally, that i'm encouraged to get the illegal version. It's still a crime and a movie is certainly not a big enough care for me to see it as anything other than an "oh well, i'll live"

Blanket Quote for myself for all my postings from Feb 2014 and on

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

If the horse doesn't want to drink, i'm not going to lead them to water

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   Patrick Donahue

Patrick Donahue

Second Unit

• 259 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted February 03 2014 - 06:15 PM

That's just the business model of the service, which is told to you up front. Titles are rotated in and out because if you could see every title in the Warner catalog for only $9.99/month you probably wouldn't purchase anything from them.

I also disagree with this somehow being a victory for physical media. Streaming subscriptions and physical discs are two completely different businesses, with their own advantages and disadvantages, not to mention their own markets.

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,080 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 07 2014 - 06:57 PM

Some new titles added.  I'll be watching Tall in the Saddle in 1080p this weekend.

http://instant.warne...d=2471#CF_2471;

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted February 07 2014 - 07:06 PM

eh i can't really condone that. I know when i was young i wanted to be a Zorro or a Scarlet Pimpernel (okay perhaps i still do)

I was wondering about that headgear.

#19 of 26 ONLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,632 posts

Posted February 07 2014 - 08:05 PM

Some new titles added. I'll be watching Tall in the Saddle in 1080p this weekend.

http://instant.warne...d=2471#CF_2471;

And they updated the Roku app to add a Watchlist, which is a great enhancement.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,080 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 08 2014 - 04:49 AM

By the way, Warner Instant Archive has an app in which you could view which titles are "Leaving Soon".

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users