Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Connecting a non smart tv to internet/home network?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Black_Blade

Black_Blade

Auditioning

• 3 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay, Ontario

Posted January 20 2014 - 07:03 AM

I am just wondering if its possible to connect my led tv to the internet so that I would be able to utilize the bigger screen.  The only way I do it now is by connecting a short VGA cable I have from my laptop to my tv.  Just wondering if there is a way to do this wirelessly thru the usb or hdmi connector?  My cheapo laptop only has a vga and usb connection though.  My tv is an LG 47LV3500 (not a smart tv).  Googled it and all can see is write ups about how to connect internet ready tv's, which would be a no brainer if I had one of those...lol.  Any helpful info would be much appreciated.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,197 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 20 2014 - 08:58 AM

Netgear PTV(but your laptop probably isn't compatible)
Chromecast

No idea until you tell us your operation system. Might be less expensive to replace your laptop.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,043 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted January 20 2014 - 09:37 AM

It would probably be easier and cheaper to use a wireless keyboard and mouse, leaving the laptop near the TV, rather than trying to transmit the video signal wirelessly.

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,049 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 20 2014 - 11:09 AM

Chromecast seems to be the way to go here.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users