Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Time Bandits (Region B) -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Blu-ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 of 44 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,056 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 07:52 AM

What I don't do for HTF...

In preparation for examining Arrow's new Blu-ray of The Fury, I added a new Oppo region-free player to my battery of gear.

A quick setup, firmware upgrade, and ready to test.  My test disc -- Terry Gilliam's Time Bandits, an odd and delightful film, now somehow over two decades old.

I got the Blu-ray, because James White had performed the requisite transfer and clean-up necessities, and finally I've been able to take a quick look.

What I'm seeing, is in a word, magnificent.  Totally film-like, with proper original grain structure, and a beautiful rendering of color and densities.

This what one receives when a bona fide archivist is given the reins.  Think Sony and Fox.

A great fantasy from the always wonderfully odd minds Mr. Palin and Mr. Gilliam, now available in a perfect Blu-ray.

Tons of extras, and for those who delight in such things, a beautiful steel case.

Image - 5 (derived from an Arriscan of the original camera negative)

Audio - 5 (both original 2-track Dolby encoded, as well as 5.1)

With another world of regions out there, I can't believe it took me this long to go for a region-free player.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 44 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,026 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 26 2013 - 08:00 AM

Did my "rants" over the last two months have any sway in picking up a region-free?I have 7 more pre-orders for the year of BD from the UK, Fr and De that have no sign of ever getting a domestic release.Several of them are Huppert.

(by the way, on the fence on this one...but glad it is good in case I decide on it)

#3 of 44 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,612 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 26 2013 - 08:05 AM

With another world of regions out there, I can't believe it took me this long to go for a region-free player.

May I just say ..... stunned?       :)

#4 of 44 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,612 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted October 26 2013 - 08:07 AM

And on a serious note, is adding the new player better than using one of the plug-in mods for which you enter the code and cycle the player off and on (besides the convenience factor)?

EDIT:  I do suppose there are many good reasons to get a newer Oppo, anyway!

Edited by Charles Smith, October 26 2013 - 08:17 AM.

#5 of 44 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 958 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted October 26 2013 - 08:15 AM

Very happy to see you taking on some region B locked discs Mr. Harris.

In addition to The Fury and Time Bandits, James White has performed restorations on The Passion of Joan of Arc and Zombie Flesh Eaters (Zombi 2/Zombie) in Region B, both of which I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on.

#6 of 44 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,026 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 08:35 AM

Very happy to see you taking on some region B locked discs Mr. Harris.

In addition to The Fury and Time Bandits, James White has performed restorations on The Passion of Joan of Arc and Zombie Flesh Eaters (Zombi 2/Zombie) in Region B, both of which I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on.

I'll chime in on TPoJOA. Easily a benchmark for pre-30s movies. I had it before my Orei arrived. Easily recommended.

#7 of 44 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,495 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted October 26 2013 - 08:42 AM

What I'm seeing, is in a word, magnificent.  Totally film-like, with proper original grain structure, and a beautiful rendering of color and densities.

That's what I'm seeing too; Arrow's work of late has been quite stunning. With more riches to come.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#8 of 44 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,453 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted October 26 2013 - 09:06 AM

Yeah the transfer is really great. The U.S. and Previous UK blu release for this title was 1080i and some say it looked worse than the DVD. I went region free a few years back. Shocked Mr Harris wasn't yet! There are some cool region locked Blus to enjoy. I just got the UK 3 Disc Wicker Man set WED and so far it seems the best release of that film. 

other titles to ponder are 

Cleopatra - Eureka

Lifeboat - Eureka

Odd Man Out - Netwerk

Lost Weekend, The - Eureka 

Dr Mabuse - The Gambler + Testament Of... - Eureka 

Care, The - Arrow

Foxy Brown - Arrow

Double Indemnity (Although it could use more restoration curious to see the U.S. when it gets released.) 

Edited by Powell&Pressburger, October 26 2013 - 09:07 AM.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#9 of 44 OFFLINE   tele1962

tele1962

Second Unit

• 495 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 09:33 AM

I think David Mackenzie deserves as much praise for his work on encoding these movies.

RAH, I am pleased you like them...................look out for Cinema Paradiso's 25th Anniversary release. :)

#10 of 44 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,026 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 09:34 AM

Hey Robert. Another "crime against the US market"....(definitely a love it or hate it movie...but no matter how you shake out the tone of the movie, the visuals are striking)

http://www.amazon.co...st tenabras lux

#11 of 44 ONLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,721 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 10:38 AM

I am migrating from owning region-free Blu-rays from the UK and other countries, to region-locked due to better images and bonus content.

Time Bandits, as available in the USA on Blu-ray, seems pretty paltry in terms of quality and bonus content.

Without derailing the thread, does anyone care to recommend a brand and vendor for purchasing a solid other-regions player?  (I see RAH mentioned the Oppo, but not the model.)

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#12 of 44 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,026 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 10:49 AM

I'll gander a total guess this is where Robert got his...if he bought it online...

http://www.bombayele...layers_s/72.htm

I have the Orei M2. Yeah, it is cheap...but it works. Tempted to buy a 2nd...but this time one of the LG 220.

I didn't pay $199 for the Orei. I paid(counting mailing* my original dead one back) $119.

*Turned out I didn't have to mail mine back. Bombay isn't exactly expeditious on emails. My exchange took awhile cause they had to get one fresh from being hacked. I simply mailed mine to them...when I should have waited for the return slip in the new one. But...I took their extended email time as more than it was. It took 10 days to get the new one, so when they received mine they simply had the hacker mail it direct. Whereas they were going to wait for all of them from the hacker to mail me the replacement.

#13 of 44 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,026 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 11:20 AM

Mark, I'll give you a movie that darn near pays for the price difference of the region-free player...all by itself...

http://www.amazon.co...words=marienbad

Granted, I have no idea what "the extras" difference is...and I don't care...

http://www.amazon.co...=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

According to DVDcompare....it is a "draw" between all releases.

#14 of 44 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 420 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted October 26 2013 - 11:22 AM

And on a serious note, is adding the new player better than using one of the plug-in mods for which you enter the code and cycle the player off and on (besides the convenience factor)?

No Blu-ray player is natively region-free. The manufacturer would be stripped of Blu-ray licensing if they attempted that. In order to make the player region-free, you need a modification. There are vendors who will sell pre-modded players to you (usually at a significant markup), or you can buy the mod chip and install it yourself. In either case, I would assume that the modification in RAH's player requires him to enter a code on the remote and cycle the power to manually switch regions. Most, if not all, region mods for OPPO players are like that.

I've programmed a macro in my Harmony remote to go through the region-changing steps with one button push for my OPPO player.

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#15 of 44 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,026 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 11:32 AM

Is that "power cycle" an Oppo thing?

This Orei I have you just have to have no disc in it. Haven't tried "tray open"...but there is no power cycle.

On this Orei it is a straightforward 10 second thing.

#16 of 44 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,056 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 12:51 PM

I am migrating from owning region-free Blu-rays from the UK and other countries, to region-locked due to better images and bonus content.

Time Bandits, as available in the USA on Blu-ray, seems pretty paltry in terms of quality and bonus content.

Without derailing the thread, does anyone care to recommend a brand and vendor for purchasing a solid other-regions player?  (I see RAH mentioned the Oppo, but not the model.)

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#17 of 44 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,056 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 12:53 PM

EDIT:  I do suppose there are many good reasons to get a newer Oppo, anyway!

For me, it's worth having stacked Oppos (Oppi?).  They seem to be the Apples of Blu-ray players.

RAH

#18 of 44 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,273 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 01:28 PM

OT: I have two PS3 (Slim) models: Euro and U.S. All PS3 Slim models have universal power supply, so you don't need any converters.

#19 of 44 OFFLINE   Danny Burk

Danny Burk

Second Unit

• 273 posts
  • LocationSouth Bend, IN

Posted October 26 2013 - 01:46 PM

Like the others, I'm surprised that you (Robert) didn't go RF till now! I love the Oppo that I've had for, what, maybe 2 years now. To change regions, one presses "1" or "2" (or "3" for Region C, which I've never used) prior to turning on the player. Easy as can be, and lets me feed it all sorts of goodies from Eureka, BFI, etc.

#20 of 44 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 02:00 PM

Robert, I highly recommend the UK bd of QUATERMASS & THE PIT. It may be thee best looking/most significant upgrade to HD I've seen for a film of its vintage and genre.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users