Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Captain Phillips (Blu-ray Combo) Available for Preorder

Sony Pictures

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,264 posts

Posted October 13 2013 - 06:15 AM

51wpyPSZQbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Supporting Actor

• 860 posts

Posted October 13 2013 - 06:58 AM

Best movie of the year!  Phenomenal performance by Tom Hanks!  Terrific performances by the Somali-Americans that portray the pirates (their first time acting).

Hanks is likely to win the Best Actor statue in March!

Mark

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,338 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 13 2013 - 10:47 AM

According to the interview  with Tom Hanks that I heard on Fresh Air, the first time Hanks saw the Pirate actors was when they stormed the bridge.  The director thought that would heighten the tension.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Supporting Actor

• 860 posts

Posted October 13 2013 - 04:57 PM

According to the interview  with Tom Hanks that I heard on Fresh Air, the first time Hanks saw the Pirate actors was when they stormed the bridge.  The director thought that would heighten the tension.

In an interview on The Tonight Show, Hanks told Leno that following the boarding the ship scene, between takes, one of the Somali-American actors shook Hanks' hand and said "I can't believe I'm making a movie with Forrest Gump!"  :)

Mark

• Johnny Angell and lukejosephchung like this

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Supporting Actor

• 860 posts

Posted October 25 2013 - 09:29 AM

The cooperation of the United States Navy played a huge role in the successful filming of 'Captain Phillips'.  I've just finished watching a video (linked below) titled "Captain Phillips - The Role of the United States Navy".  The video is 1 hour 15 minutes long.  The first part of the video is a little bit dry, but it really picks up about 20 minutes in.  The video ends with my favorite guest speaker of all,
Spoiler

Before watching the video, I was not aware of just how few professional actors were used in the making of this movie.  Real Navy personnel (active and retired) filled many roles,
Spoiler

Watching the video gave me an even greater appreciation for this wonderful movie!  Of particular note is the repeated mentions of just how faithful the movie is to actual events (from Navy personnels' perspective).  Yes, there are mentions of dramatic license taken (certain scenes compressed or expanded in time, etc.) but the guest speakers in this video all confirm there is definitely a strong level of realism to the movie.

This video contains many spoilers.  If you intimately followed the real event and know or remember every detail, then there's not a whole lot to be spoiled, with the large exception of
Spoiler
 If you don't know or remember anything about the 'Captain Phillips' story, then I recommend you watch the movie BEFORE you watch this video.

Like I said, the video gets a bit of a dry start.  But I was thoroughly engrossed from about the 20 minute mark through the rest of the video!

Mark

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,852 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 25 2013 - 09:33 AM

An excellent film that I will buy on BD too.  Hanks will most likely be nominated, but competition for Best Actor is supposed to be very strong this year.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,180 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 25 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hanks will most likely be nominated, but competition for Best Actor is supposed to be very strong this year.

I haven't seen a performance better than Hanks' so far.

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Supporting Actor

• 860 posts

Posted October 25 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hanks performance is so powerful, that while watching the end of the video I linked above,

Spoiler
the memory of that scene brought tears to my eyes.

I don't know of anyone else (so far this year) that is more deserving of the Best Actor Oscar.  A nomination for Hanks is a forgone conclusion.  A win is HIGHLY likely.

Mark

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,457 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 25 2013 - 12:27 PM

Hanks will also have going for him his performance in Saving Mr. Banks which also comes out at the end of the year. While actors can only be nominated for one performance, having more than one admired film in the same calendar year can greatly increase one's chances of winning (most people think Diane Keaton's Oscar win for Annie Hall was aided by her sizzling performance that same year in Looking for Mr. Goodbar.)

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,852 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 25 2013 - 11:13 PM

I haven't seen a performance better than Hanks' so far.

You know as well as I do that most films with multiple AA nominations don't come out until the last quarter.  One of those are 12 Years as a Slave with Chiwetel Ejiofor.  Have you seen that film yet?  There is also the Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom starring Idris Elba.  I'm sure there are 2-3 other films that probably have some great acting performances too.

Crawdaddy

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,852 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 25 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hanks performance is so powerful, that while watching the end of the video I linked above,

Spoiler
the memory of that scene brought tears to my eyes.

I don't know of anyone else (so far this year) that is more deserving of the Best Actor Oscar.  A nomination for Hanks is a forgone conclusion.  A win is HIGHLY likely.

Mark

It is not highly likely until we see all of the acting performances for 2013!

Crawdaddy

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,180 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 04:13 AM

You know as well as I do that most films with multiple AA nominations don't come out until the last quarter.

Absolutely but as of now, the performance to beat is Tom Hanks. Besides Ejiofor and Elba, I expect Matthew McConaughey in The Dallas Buyers Club, Leonardo DiCaprio in The Wolf Of Wall Street and Christian Bale in American Hustle all to give excellent performances as well. Plus, I'm curious if George Clooney will go in as Actor or Supporting Actor for Gravity.

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,852 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 26 2013 - 04:47 AM

Absolutely but as of now, the performance to beat is Tom Hanks. Besides Ejiofor and Elba, I expect Matthew McConaughey in The Dallas Buyers Club, Leonardo DiCaprio in The Wolf Of Wall Street and Christian Bale in American Hustle all to give excellent performances as well. Plus, I'm curious if George Clooney will go in as Actor or Supporting Actor for Gravity.

So I take it you haven't seen these yet?  Neither have I, though, Ejiofor's film has been released.  I read that The Wolf of Wall Street has been delayed until 2014 by Scorsese.  As to Hanks, it's a fine performance and one worthy of a Best Actor Oscar, but until I see the rest of these performances, I can honestly say it's the best of the year.

Crawdaddy

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 865 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted October 26 2013 - 04:56 AM

Eijofor is outstanding - he may beat Hanks purely due to a script that lends itself more to an Oscar.

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,180 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 05:02 AM

So I take it you haven't seen these yet?  Neither have I, though, Ejiofor's film has been released.  I read that The Wolf of Wall Street has been delayed until 2014 by Scorsese.  As to Hanks, it's a fine performance and one worthy of a Best Actor Oscar, but until I see the rest of these performances, I can honestly say it's the best of the year.

Yeah, I haven't seen any of those movies yet (12 Years A Slave will probably get released near me in the next week or two) but looking at potential nominees, the Best Actor category should be pretty good this year.

And I could be wrong but I thought that Wolf was only delayed until Christmas as of now. I guess if Scorsese needs more time to trim the movie down, a 2014 release is still certainly a possibility.

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,852 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 26 2013 - 05:14 AM

Yeah, I haven't seen any of those movies yet (12 Years A Slave will probably get released near me in the next week or two) but looking at potential nominees, the Best Actor category should be pretty good this year.

And I could be wrong but I thought that Wolf was only delayed until Christmas as of now. I guess if Scorsese needs more time to trim the movie down, a 2014 release is still certainly a possibility.

http://www.thewrap.c...al-chairs-video

Crawdaddy

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Supporting Actor

• 860 posts

Posted October 26 2013 - 06:41 AM

It is not highly likely until we see all of the acting performances for 2013!

I would have written Hanks' win is a foregone conclusion. I tempered it as highly likely specifically because there are performances we haven't seen.

Let me put it this way... I'm 95% confident Hanks will get the Oscar.

Mark

Edited by Mark Booth, October 26 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,216 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 26 2013 - 10:00 AM

Maybe I need to go see Cpt. Philips just to know whether it deserves a win(for Hanks) over 12 Years. Ejiofor not winning would be a slap in the face.

And 12 Years is so good. Clooney should be happy to get a nod. As Fassbender and Cumberbatch deserve a split.

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,264 posts

Posted December 04 2013 - 12:07 PM

79073_large.jpg

January 21, 2014 is the official release date

Press Release will be posted shortly

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Supporting Actor

• 860 posts

Posted December 04 2013 - 06:56 PM

My favorite movie of the year!  And that's saying a lot because 2013 has been a terrific year for cinema!

Mark

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony Pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users