What's new

Captain Phillips (Blu-ray Combo) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

51wpyPSZQbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Best movie of the year! Phenomenal performance by Tom Hanks! Terrific performances by the Somali-Americans that portray the pirates (their first time acting).

Hanks is likely to win the Best Actor statue in March!

Mark

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
According to the interview with Tom Hanks that I heard on Fresh Air, the first time Hanks saw the Pirate actors was when they stormed the bridge. The director thought that would heighten the tension.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
According to the interview with Tom Hanks that I heard on Fresh Air, the first time Hanks saw the Pirate actors was when they stormed the bridge. The director thought that would heighten the tension.
In an interview on The Tonight Show, Hanks told Leno that following the boarding the ship scene, between takes, one of the Somali-American actors shook Hanks' hand and said "I can't believe I'm making a movie with Forrest Gump!" :)

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The cooperation of the United States Navy played a huge role in the successful filming of 'Captain Phillips'. I've just finished watching a video (linked below) titled "Captain Phillips - The Role of the United States Navy". The video is 1 hour 15 minutes long. The first part of the video is a little bit dry, but it really picks up about 20 minutes in. The video ends with my favorite guest speaker of all,
the actual Navy Corpsman that played opposite Tom Hanks in the final, VERY emotional scene in the movie.

Before watching the video, I was not aware of just how few professional actors were used in the making of this movie. Real Navy personnel (active and retired) filled many roles,
including the Seals that eventually ended the hostage situation.

Watching the video gave me an even greater appreciation for this wonderful movie! Of particular note is the repeated mentions of just how faithful the movie is to actual events (from Navy personnels' perspective). Yes, there are mentions of dramatic license taken (certain scenes compressed or expanded in time, etc.) but the guest speakers in this video all confirm there is definitely a strong level of realism to the movie.

This video contains many spoilers. If you intimately followed the real event and know or remember every detail, then there's not a whole lot to be spoiled, with the large exception of
how the movie ends with Hanks and the two Corpsman in the sick bay.
If you don't know or remember anything about the 'Captain Phillips' story, then I recommend you watch the movie BEFORE you watch this video.

Like I said, the video gets a bit of a dry start. But I was thoroughly engrossed from about the 20 minute mark through the rest of the video!

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
An excellent film that I will buy on BD too. Hanks will most likely be nominated, but competition for Best Actor is supposed to be very strong this year.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Hanks performance is so powerful, that while watching the end of the video I linked above,
when the real Navy Corpsman was describing her experience of meeting Tom Hanks and doing the final scene,
the memory of that scene brought tears to my eyes.

I don't know of anyone else (so far this year) that is more deserving of the Best Actor Oscar. A nomination for Hanks is a forgone conclusion. A win is HIGHLY likely.

Mark

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Hanks will also have going for him his performance in Saving Mr. Banks which also comes out at the end of the year. While actors can only be nominated for one performance, having more than one admired film in the same calendar year can greatly increase one's chances of winning (most people think Diane Keaton's Oscar win for Annie Hall was aided by her sizzling performance that same year in Looking for Mr. Goodbar.)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TravisR said:
I haven't seen a performance better than Hanks' so far.
You know as well as I do that most films with multiple AA nominations don't come out until the last quarter. One of those are 12 Years as a Slave with Chiwetel Ejiofor. Have you seen that film yet? There is also the Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom starring Idris Elba. I'm sure there are 2-3 other films that probably have some great acting performances too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mark Booth said:
Hanks performance is so powerful, that while watching the end of the video I linked above,
when the real Navy Corpsman was describing her experience of meeting Tom Hanks and doing the final scene,
the memory of that scene brought tears to my eyes.

I don't know of anyone else (so far this year) that is more deserving of the Best Actor Oscar. A nomination for Hanks is a forgone conclusion. A win is HIGHLY likely.

Mark
It is not highly likely until we see all of the acting performances for 2013!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
You know as well as I do that most films with multiple AA nominations don't come out until the last quarter.
Absolutely but as of now, the performance to beat is Tom Hanks. Besides Ejiofor and Elba, I expect Matthew McConaughey in The Dallas Buyers Club, Leonardo DiCaprio in The Wolf Of Wall Street and Christian Bale in American Hustle all to give excellent performances as well. Plus, I'm curious if George Clooney will go in as Actor or Supporting Actor for Gravity.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TravisR said:
Absolutely but as of now, the performance to beat is Tom Hanks. Besides Ejiofor and Elba, I expect Matthew McConaughey in The Dallas Buyers Club, Leonardo DiCaprio in The Wolf Of Wall Street and Christian Bale in American Hustle all to give excellent performances as well. Plus, I'm curious if George Clooney will go in as Actor or Supporting Actor for Gravity.
So I take it you haven't seen these yet? Neither have I, though, Ejiofor's film has been released. I read that The Wolf of Wall Street has been delayed until 2014 by Scorsese. As to Hanks, it's a fine performance and one worthy of a Best Actor Oscar, but until I see the rest of these performances, I can honestly say it's the best of the year.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Eijofor is outstanding - he may beat Hanks purely due to a script that lends itself more to an Oscar.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
So I take it you haven't seen these yet? Neither have I, though, Ejiofor's film has been released. I read that The Wolf of Wall Street has been delayed until 2014 by Scorsese. As to Hanks, it's a fine performance and one worthy of a Best Actor Oscar, but until I see the rest of these performances, I can honestly say it's the best of the year.
Yeah, I haven't seen any of those movies yet (12 Years A Slave will probably get released near me in the next week or two) but looking at potential nominees, the Best Actor category should be pretty good this year.

And I could be wrong but I thought that Wolf was only delayed until Christmas as of now. I guess if Scorsese needs more time to trim the movie down, a 2014 release is still certainly a possibility.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TravisR said:
Yeah, I haven't seen any of those movies yet (12 Years A Slave will probably get released near me in the next week or two) but looking at potential nominees, the Best Actor category should be pretty good this year.

And I could be wrong but I thought that Wolf was only delayed until Christmas as of now. I guess if Scorsese needs more time to trim the movie down, a 2014 release is still certainly a possibility.
http://www.thewrap.com/whats-deal-hollywoods-movie-musical-chairs-video/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=whats-deal-hollywoods-movie-musical-chairs-video

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
It is not highly likely until we see all of the acting performances for 2013!
I would have written Hanks' win is a foregone conclusion. I tempered it as highly likely specifically because there are performances we haven't seen.Let me put it this way... I'm 95% confident Hanks will get the Oscar.Mark

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Maybe I need to go see Cpt. Philips just to know whether it deserves a win(for Hanks) over 12 Years. Ejiofor not winning would be a slap in the face.

And 12 Years is so good. Clooney should be happy to get a nod. As Fassbender and Cumberbatch deserve a split.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
79073_large.jpg
January 21, 2014 is the official release date​
Press Release will be posted shortly​

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My favorite movie of the year! And that's saying a lot because 2013 has been a terrific year for cinema!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks