What's new

Desk Set (1957) (Blu-Ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

67416_large.jpg

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0); font-family: 'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif; line-height: 22px; background-color: rgb(242, 242, 242);]Please Note: As we get closer to release date, FoxConnect will be offering an exclusive discount for HTF members on these Fox Classics.  It is their way of saying thank you for participating in the Vote Your Choice campaign.  There will be discounts on individual and grouped discs.  The discounts should exceed Amazon prices.  We encourage you to preorder from Amazon so that you may cancel that preorder should you prefer the FoxConnect discount.[/color]

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Heck yeah! This is just one fun movie. I'm super happy it's on its way to BD so hopefully more people will be introduced to the genius that is Hepburn and Tracy.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'd forgive Ron for including "The." The cover is correct, as was the original Fox Studio Classics DVD from 2004.

BIANCO2NERO

Agent
Real Name
Sergio Angelini
DVD Beaver has posted some screengrabs from this release - if these are accurate, then I have to say that this looks like a genuine disappointment. I'll definitely be hanging on to my DVD.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
BIANCO2NERO said:
DVD Beaver has posted some screengrabs from this release - if these are accurate, then I have to say that this looks like a genuine disappointment. I'll definitely be hanging on to my DVD.
Yup. Another FOX CinemaScope release with the color tweaked into the land of teal terror.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Mark B said:
Yup. Another FOX CinemaScope release with the color tweaked into the land of teal terror.
Um, no. No. And no. It finally looks EXACTLY right, and EXACTLY how my dye transfer print looked. It's amazing how many people simply know nothing about what the color on these films should look like (not having ever seen them outside of home video) and it's more amazing that they just automatically assume the yellow/green awful previous releases were correct - they were not, and not only is this not a disappointment, it's GREAT. The color is correct now, and the use of the word "teal" has become a tiresome bore. Unlike many of today's yellow films (I just watched Blue Jasmine, the Woody Allen film - for a title that has "blue" in the title, the photography is completely yellow), older films had a LOT of blue - blue was predominant in Technicolor prints, especially as projected with carbon arc light sources.

Folks, buy with confidence - this is a wonderful transfer.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Even going by the very screencaps that some say have a blue or teal push shows that the skin tones for once are correct and not orange-y.

Fabian Kusch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabian Kusch
For those interested in an HD version of this film similar to the color scheme of Fox's 2004 SD release, there's a German Blu-ray out that uses an older transfer.

Borders are a little more cropped than on the Fox BD, compression could be better and there are a few specks and dirt particles noticable.

I have no idea which color grading represents the original theatrical presentation but to my eye the older version is a bit more pleasing than that current transfer.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Sorry, you think that green mess of a transfer in any way represents what this film looked like? The current transfer is exactly what it looked like theatrically.

Fabian Kusch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabian Kusch
Sorry, you think that green mess of a transfer in any way represents what this film looked like?
As I wrote: No, I don't know how the film looked originally.
Read my post again: TO MY EYE it looks more pleasing. TO MY EYE it doesn't look like a mess. In no way did I insinuate that the newer transfer is incorrect.

The current transfer is exactly what it looked like theatrically.
Thank god someone still remembers the exact color palette after a whopping 56 years!

Edit: As I see you own a dye transfer print of that movie. So obviously you must be right. Disregard my comments, everyone. I just wanted to point to an alternative HD version of DESK SET for those disappointed with the current look.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks