Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rip Audio Cassette Tapes to MP3's?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,633 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 08 2013 - 07:42 AM

I have discovered I have several audio books on tape.  I'd like to rip these into my itunes library on my iMac.

I have a very special one that I searched for online and it can't be found (at least I didn't).  It's The Lost World by Doyle and it's read by James Mason.  He does a terrific job, and I've listened to it many times.  The only drawback is that it's abridged.

I've had this tape for 20 years, I think.  I wan't to get it onto something more reliable and portable along with my other audio books on tape.

These are all audio books I have purchased.

Anybody here done this?

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,307 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 08 2013 - 08:34 AM

Yep

http://www.amazon.co...ds=cassette usb

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,816 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted September 09 2013 - 05:37 PM

I checked Audible, but they don't have that specific version of The Lost World. They do have an unabridged version, but I don't know how the audio narration compares to your version.http://www.audible.c...78776837&sr=1-3

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,633 posts

Posted September 10 2013 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for checking.  Somewhere in my audible books I have Lost World, but it is the James Mason version I want to get ripped into an mp3.  It is special, even abridged.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,307 posts

Posted September 10 2013 - 08:31 AM

By the way, you may not even need a "cassette/USB".

If your computers mic input is compatible with RCA(as in analog signal)...any cassette deck will work with a 1/8th-RCA cable.

IF you got a cassette deck, worth the shot.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,816 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted September 10 2013 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for checking.  Somewhere in my audible books I have Lost World, but it is the James Mason version I want to get ripped into an mp3.  It is special, even abridged.

wont argue that. A great narrator elevates a book.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,633 posts

Posted September 11 2013 - 12:29 PM

wont argue that. A great narrator elevates a book.

James Mason had one those voices, a pleasure to listen too.  I'm remember him in North by Northwest..."You used real bullets.  How unsporting of you."

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,633 posts

Posted September 11 2013 - 12:29 PM

If your computers mic input is compatible with RCA(as in analog signal)...any cassette deck will work with a 1/8th-RCA cable.

I'll look into that.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,633 posts

Posted September 11 2013 - 12:42 PM

The iMac does have an audio in/out (labeled with a headphones symbol), so I guess I could do what you suggest.  However, wouldn't it be better quality to use a cassette with usb output?  

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,307 posts

Posted September 11 2013 - 01:10 PM

1. Depends on the quality of the cassette deck you've got.2. Depends on the quality of that input vs the USB.Both...at the moment, are unknowns.You might even try a bluetooth sender to the iMac...???(just a theory as I don't know if Apple comps can record that way)

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Supporting Actor

• 551 posts

Posted September 11 2013 - 04:05 PM

I'll just throw this out, because I know not everyone has this equipment - but the way I did my audio books on cassette was to record them on a standalone DVD recorder. (When there is no video feed, it is just black.) Then I used a program called DVD Audio Ripper to get the audio off of the DVDs in mp3 format. The DVD is also a great archival method, since they are more stable (we hope) than cassettes and you can play them almost anywhere. Another benefit is the long running time, so you can get a whole audio book on a single DVD. It worked for me.

Edited by bryan4999, September 11 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,633 posts

Posted September 11 2013 - 06:15 PM

That's a great idea, Bryan.  I'd jump all over it if I had a dvd recorder.  What kind of input into the DVD recorder did you use?

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Supporting Actor

• 551 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 08:29 AM

That's a great idea, Bryan.  I'd jump all over it if I had a dvd recorder.  What kind of input into the DVD recorder did you use?

I just used RCA cables from the cassette deck to the DVD recorder. Very standard connections.

If you feel it is worthwhile (maybe you have old VHS tapes that need to be digitized) you might pick up a DVD recorder; amazon has a Toshiba for about $100, the refurbs are going for $80. I did all my VHS that way and I found it much easier than using the computer with all the rendering, etc. Besides the audio books, I also archived many old cassettes I had of musical performances from school, some "letters on tape" from my Uncle, etc. Toshiba DR430 DVD Recorder

Edited by bryan4999, September 12 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,307 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 08:55 AM

I recommend Bryan's idea as well. If you don't need the video portion, you can pick up a CD-recorder. Those are dirt cheap.

http://www.amazon.co...ips cd-recorder

I have one of those. Recorded tape to CD many times...then upload to a computer is easy. 

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,633 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 10:01 AM

Well, I do have some cassettes I wouldn't mind moving over to DVD's.  I would imagine to do both the DVD's and the cassette tapes I'd have to hook up the dvd recorder into my HT system.  Looks like RCA composites would be the best choice available for hookup to my HT.  Once I've recorded a VHS cassette to dvd, I''m done with the vhs process.  When I record an audiobook to dvd, I would then stick the dvd into my iMac and use whatever software I can find to rip it to mp3.  Correct?

Was that DVD Audio Ripper a mac program?

Edit: Answer is No.

Edited by Johnny Angell, September 12 2013 - 10:17 AM.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Supporting Actor

• 551 posts

Posted September 12 2013 - 10:22 AM

I don't have mac, but I did a quick google search for DVD audio rippers for mac and quite a few results came up. They seem to call them DVD audio extractors rather than rippers, but sounds like they do the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users