What's new

Microsoft Buys Nokia for $7.2B (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-buying-nokia-devices-and-services-unit-and-patents-544-billion
t's been something mused over for the past few years as a "what if" scenario, and tonight it has come to fruition: Microsoft is buying Nokia's Device and Services Unit and licensing the company's patent portfolio. Since partnering with Microsoft in early 2011 and launching the Lumia line of Windows Phone handhelds Nokia has held a leading and premiere position in the Windows Phone space, though they have struggled to gain significant market share and profitability even with the financial support of Microsoft. The deal is expected to close in the first quarter of 2014, with Microsoft paying €3.79 billion for the Devices and Service Unit, and another €1.65 billion for the licensure of Nokia's patent portfolio.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I am picturing Stephen Elop addressing the MS board with a MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner hanging behind him. Sabateur!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I use a Blackberry for work and absolutely hate it. The OS is so slow and laggy and battery life is about 4 hours.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When Sears bought Penny's, the comment was it was like two drunks trying help each walk down the street. This isn't nearly so bad. But we see MS buying out of desperation and fear, and not buying with a confident plan for success. They'll keep minting money for years with Office and Windows. But can they gain relevance in the mobile world?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
DaveF said:
When Sears bought Penny's, the comment was it was like two drunks trying help each walk down the street.This isn't nearly so bad. But we see MS buying out of desperation and fear, and not buying with a confident plan for success.They'll keep minting money for years with Office and Windows. But can they gain relevance in the mobile world?
I think you have to put this in perspective. Apple and Google had years of a head start. By that token, Windows Phone is doing quite well, actually:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57601007-94/windows-phone-brings-global-competition-to-ios-and-android/
It's at a near 100% year over year growth, and has already passed iphone in new unit sales in places like Mexico, etc. It's also firmly put itself as the third smartphone brand, having basically run blackberry out of the market.

Now, it needs to do more in the US to get adoption, that's true.. but I can't imagine they are wildly disappointed at this point.
Kantar Worldpanel ComTech reported that at the end of July Windows Phone dominated 8.2 percent of the five major European markets, including the UK, France, and Germany. It has also increased its market share in other countries worldwide, like Australia and Mexico.

"Android and Apple take the lion's share of the headlines and continue to dominate smartphone sales, so it's easy to forget that there is a third operating system emerging as a real adversary," Kantar strategic insight director Dominic Sunnebo said in a statement. "For the first time the platform has claimed the number two spot in a major world market, taking 11.6 percent of sales in Mexico."
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57601007-94/windows-phone-brings-global-competition-to-ios-and-android/

The problem with the internet is there is this instant assumption if you aren't #1 in the market right off, you're a flop. Now, I could say that about WindowsRT (which, as members have pointed out, now that we're on Intel's newest generation, I expect thin low power I3 tablets with ease and good battery life running full Win8), but WP8 is, frankly, quite good. And while "it's nearing 8% global sales!" sounds terrible, realize that Android is broken up into a ton of different phone manufacturers; it's 68% isn't really "68%" it's a bunch of 8,9,4, etc. percentages (LG, HTC, Samsung, Motorola, and off brands) with Samsung being the most dominant, but you're still dividing that 68% a lot of different directions.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
mattCR said:
I think you have to put this in perspective. Apple and Google had years of a head start. By that token, Windows Phone is doing quite well, actually: .
It's not doing well enough to keep Nokia in business, apparently.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
mattCR said:
I think you have to put this in perspective. Apple and Google had years of a head start. By that token, Windows Phone is doing quite well, actually:
It's at a near 100% year over year growth, and has already passed iphone in new unit sales in places like Mexico, etc. It's also firmly put itself as the third smartphone brand, having basically run blackberry out of the market.
So, if I sell one phone the first year, two the 2nd year, and four the third year, is my product a success? ;)

Being #3 behind Apple and Android, in this case, is like finishing in 3rd place at the Super Bowl. :P

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
But wtf are they thinking with this marketing?
Just watched it. Very strange ad. It felt like an attempt to be edgy and relevant by someone who doesn't know US culture. That is:Nokia & Windows 8: The mullet of tablets.Not a good marketing message.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks