Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Crown XLS and XLI amplifiers

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 JoeGibs

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 10:40 AM

I'm currently shopping for a new amplifier, but am stuck between two and cannot decide which would be the better amp.  My instinct tells me which would be better, but it's contradictory to some reviews i've read.

Crown XLS1500  http://www.zzounds.c...tem--CWNXLS1500

Crown XLI1500  http://www.zzounds.c...tem--CWNXLI1500

The XLI line is a brand new line and the XLS seems to be the tested and proven amp.  However, the XLS is a class D, and the XLI is a class AB.  I don't care in the least about efficiency as far as how much power is being consumed, my primary concern is sound quality from the amplifier.  Everything I've ever known has always said class AB sounds better than class D.  I could be completely wrong though, perhaps today's technology in class D being applied to the 120v world doesn't compare in any way to class AB vs D in the car audio world that i'm much more familiar with.

Thoughts?

#2 of 4 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,655 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 27 2013 - 11:36 AM

It is an individual ears thing, but.

Class D isn't ready for home 4ohm speakers.

#3 of 4 JoeGibs

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted August 27 2013 - 03:10 PM

My towers are 8 ohm

#4 of 4 Northgun

Northgun

Stunt Coordinator

• 195 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 25 2013 - 06:24 PM

I own the Crown XLS1500, unfortunately I cannot comment on the sound quality because I have it running to my two LFE Buttkickers. The build quality and the ease of use are great and the unit runs quite cool surprisingly enough. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users