Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need a fast recommendation for a Windows laptop for friend

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 of 24 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,165 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted August 08 2013 - 06:47 PM

If all you need is IE then yeah, Parallels.

But I recommend you quit any company or service that only supports IE in 2013.  Seriously, if they don't give a shit about their product why should you?

It's not that simple. I'm not quitting my job over their choice of a teleconferencing website.

My friend is an independent consultant who must use a variety of outside B2B services dictated by his clients. He's not going to refuse their business over a browser issue, he's going to buy a PC with IE.

I can't recommend Parallels merely to run IE. it's too much technical trouble, cost, battery life killer. I have no idea if chrome or Firefox work with his sites. My experiences suggest that won't fix it.

#22 of 24 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,165 posts

Posted August 08 2013 - 06:50 PM

I guess I'd most likely just go w/ a Dell XPS something Ultrabook, if I was in the market for something like that...  Or maybe whatever IBM or Lenovo offers in that category now...

_Man_

I'll pass it along. I wish I had time to ask my Microsoftie neighbor. :)

#23 of 24 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,165 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 04:32 AM

Second verse, same as the first...

Any noteable new Windows 8.1 laptops, since the new intel chips came out?

Dad needs a new laptop. 13" SSD. Good battery life. MS office and Windows Remote Desktop / VPN are main uses. Keyboard necessary. Touchscreen desired, but not necessary. May also run some specialty accounting websites (the sort that only work in IE on Windows).

I can't make heads or tails of Windows Surface line (my dad thinks he wants the 'new Windows 8 computer'), or MS laptop summary site, or Dell.com.

#24 of 24 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,806 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 28 2013 - 07:53 AM

Windows 8 is a nice step up.

One of the home builders I work with put everybody on a Surface. Except for certain esoteric programs(they don't use everyday anyway) it works fine.

I wouldn't recommend Surface, yet, as a dedicated computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users