Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

From Here to Eternity (1953) [US Release]

Blu-ray Sony Pictures

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 of 42 RLane777

RLane777

Agent

• 35 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted July 22 2013 - 08:29 PM

What are the chances the cover on Amazon UK will be the one for US release? Also, would this most likely get the 4k release?

My blog - classic-movies-review.blogspot.com

#22 of 42 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,823 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 22 2013 - 09:00 PM

What are the chances the cover on Amazon UK will be the one for US release? Also, would this most likely get the 4k release?

Not sure...although it looks pretty standard and reasonable.  Not sure what "Artwork TBC" means at the bottom of the image.  (To be confirmed?)

81YVDaAxmXL._SL1500_.jpg

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#23 of 42 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,431 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 22 2013 - 09:04 PM

TBC means 'To Be Confirmed'.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#24 of 42 David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,497 posts

Posted July 22 2013 - 09:15 PM

I wonder what the '19' on the spine indicates

#25 of 42 Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,471 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted July 22 2013 - 09:24 PM

The US release will likely go with different artwork. Though perhaps they will keep the key art.

The 19 on the spine indicates this is #19 in Sony's line of gold banner BDs released in Europe. Here are some others:

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B004SF68E0

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B003ARSPIE/

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B001N18K9I/

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B005DL7WSE/

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B000TYV3DA/

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B004SF68DG/

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B005DL809E/

"Here's looking at you, kid."

#26 of 42 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,953 posts

Posted July 22 2013 - 11:21 PM

Official Artwork from Sony Press Site....

82A7BCD4-D65D-47D3-B8C6-6E749022C952.jpg

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#27 of 42 Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted July 23 2013 - 03:40 PM

Sony's VP of Catalog Restorations Grover Crisp is notoriously meticulous about getting these right...if you read the press release, you'll see that the blu-ray's sourced from a 4k scan from the original camera negative...I believe it was shot in Academy ratio 1.37:1, however!!!

This is from Sony:

From Here to Eternity (1953) - Blu-ray
Run Time: 118
CC: Y
Color: BW
Screen Format(s): Fullscreen
Language(s): English 5.1, English (US) Mono, German (Germany) Mono, French (Parisian) Mono, Spanish (Castilian) Mono, Spanish (Latin Am) Mono, Italian Mono, Portuguese (Brazil) Mono, Japanese Mono
Subtitles(s): Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English (UK), English (US), Finnish, French (Parisian), German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Spanish (Castilian), Spanish (Latin Am), Swedish, Thai, Turkish
Aspect Ratio: 1.33
Discs: 1

Rich Gallagher

#28 of 42 Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted July 23 2013 - 03:46 PM

I wonder, will this include the full 44-minute version of "Fred Zinnemann: As I See It" or will it be the same 9-minute excerpt from the DVD.  I'm hoping it's the full version, as I've never seen it before.  But I can live with the 9-minute one, as it's miles ahead of the lousy 2.5-minute "The Making of From Here to Eternity" excerpt from The Lady with the Torch.

It looks like it's going to be the 9-minute version. On the SPHE press site it says "Excerpt from "Fred Zinnemann: As I See It."

Rich Gallagher

#29 of 42 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,431 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 23 2013 - 04:13 PM

Official Artwork from Sony Press Site....

attachicon.gif82A7BCD4-D65D-47D3-B8C6-6E749022C952.jpg

Much nicer than the UK, in my opinion.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#30 of 42 Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 238 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted July 23 2013 - 08:00 PM

It looks like it's going to be the 9-minute version. On the SPHE press site it says "Excerpt from "Fred Zinnemann: As I See It."

Thanks, Richard.  I guess I should have expected that, but hopefully the "Eternal History" feature will more than make up for that.

#31 of 42 Filmgazer

Filmgazer

Agent

• 26 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted July 23 2013 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for posting this, Ron!

Did you see the new supplements created for this "60th Anniversary Edition"? They include a new audio commentary with Tim Zinnemann (the director’s son) and actor Alvin Sargent, a pair of vintage featurettes (The Making of From Here to Eternity and Fred Zinnemann: As I See It) and an all-new ‘graphics in picture’ track called Eternal History filled with new interviews, exclusive photos and other rare material.

It's gratifying to see Sony invest the time and money into new supplements for a catalog title like this!

Louis

#32 of 42 ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted July 23 2013 - 10:03 PM

Did you see the new supplements created for this "60th Anniversary Edition"? They include a new audio commentary with Tim Zinnemann (the director’s son) and actor Alvin Sargent, a pair of vintage featurettes (The Making of From Here to Eternity and Fred Zinnemann: As I See It) and an all-new ‘graphics in picture’ track called Eternal History filled with new interviews, exclusive photos and other rare material.

It's gratifying to see Sony invest the time and money into new supplements for a catalog title like this!

New audio commentary? There was a commentary with Tim Zinnemann and Alvin Sargent on the DVD.

#33 of 42 John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 663 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 24 2013 - 10:33 AM

I see the sound has a 5.1 option. Wasn't this film released in certain important venues with a 3-track interlock stereo track? Those seem to be missing for most titles today, but I wonder if the 5.1 mix is derived from the 3-track or they had separated sound and music tracks, at least, to do a truer stereo presentation.

#34 of 42 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,247 posts

Posted July 24 2013 - 10:44 AM

John: it was available in three-track magnetic stereo to any theatre equipped with interlock stereo.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#35 of 42 Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,471 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted July 24 2013 - 09:07 PM

Thanks for posting this, Ron!

Louis

I've found Sony's supplemental work on these classics to be pretty lackluster. Usually they're just a port of the DVD extras with a "graphics in picture" track thrown in. Was disappointed Lawrence of Arabia didn't get a commentary. At least it had 2 new interviews and a restoration featurette.

Likewise, it appears the only thing new they've created for this is the "graphics in picture" track. The video featurettes last a total of 12 minutes! This movie deserves a more substantial documentary.

Edited by Ray H, July 24 2013 - 09:08 PM.

• Escapay likes this
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#36 of 42 Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 716 posts

Posted July 24 2013 - 11:43 PM

Sony's VP of Catalog Restorations Grover Crisp is notoriously meticulous about getting these right...if you read the press release, you'll see that the blu-ray's sourced from a 4k scan from the original camera negative...I believe it was shot in Academy ratio 1.37:1, however!!!

ON is gone. They scanned the IP in 4K.

#37 of 42 Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 238 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted July 25 2013 - 12:09 PM

I've found Sony's supplemental work on these classics to be pretty lackluster. Usually they're just a port of the DVD extras with a "graphics in picture" track thrown in. Was disappointed Lawrence of Arabia didn't get a commentary. At least it had 2 new interviews and a restoration featurette.

Likewise, it appears the only thing new they've created for this is the "graphics in picture" track. The video featurettes last a total of 12 minutes! This movie deserves a more substantial documentary.

Agreed!  Especially since both featurettes are excerpts from longer pieces.  Ideally, I'd like the full versions of those (Fred Zinnemann: As I See It and The Lady with the Torch) along with a new documentary solely about From Here to Eternity.

I quite enjoy the picture-in-graphic tracks, but a proper documentary would still be nice to watch.

#38 of 42 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,953 posts

Posted February 02 2014 - 07:28 AM

Never saw this film.  I think the reason being is that the most famous clip of 

Lancaster and Kerr rolling around on the beach, sort of promotes this film

(in my mind) as a sappy love story.

The Blu-ray went on sale for about $7 this week, so I couldn't pass up adding

it to my collection.

Just finished watching and was startled to find out that it's much more than

a sappy love story.   :)

Really enjoyed this, particularly for the inclusion of such actors as Lancaster,

Sinatra, Borgnine and Warden.   

Someone told me in the bargains thread it would be the best $7 I ever spent.

Agreed!

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#39 of 42 Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,224 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted February 02 2014 - 09:51 AM

Great film. And if anyone else is interested, the Blu-ray is now 4.99 at Best Buy.

#40 of 42 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,553 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 02 2014 - 10:11 AM

Great film. And if anyone else is interested, the Blu-ray is now 4.99 at Best Buy.

No wonder Sony is not interested in releasing Catalog titles themselves.
  • Robin9 likes this
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, Sony Pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users