What's new

WHV Announcement: The Right Stuff 30th Anniversary (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

1000187230BRDBEAUTY.JPG

"A terrific tale of heroes and America. The Right Stuff will thrill you." 

- Gene Siskel, Chicago Tribune

The Right Stuff CELEBRATES 30TH ANNIVERSARY NOVEMBER 5 Blu-ray™ Debut Features Dolby TrueHD Advanced 96k Upsampling Sound 40 page Blu-ray TM Book includes Rare Photos, Production Notes & More

Burbank, Calif., July 18, 2013 -- The Right Stuff -- director Philip Kaufman’s (Unbearable Lightness of Being) inspiring, epic motion picture about the birth of the U.S. space program that won four Academy Awards® for Best Film Editing, Best Original Score, Best Sound and Best Sound Effects Editing (1983) marks its 30th anniversary with a Blu-ray™ debut November 5. Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) will release the iconic film in a premium 40 page Blu-ray book ($27.98 SRP), which includes rare photos, production notes and other material.

The Right Stuff 30th Anniversary Blu-ray Book will boast Dolby® TrueHD with advanced 96k upsampling to deliver a full-range high-definition surround sound experience with remarkable clarity, detail and spaciousness. Dolby® TrueHD delivers an out-of-this-world sound experience that will transport listeners right into the middle of the on-screen action when watching the film.

Sam Shepard, Scott Glenn, Ed Harris, Barbara Hershey, Dennis Quaid, Fred Ward and Jeff Goldblum head the stellar ensemble cast of The Right Stuff, which is based on Tom Wolfe’s best-selling book chronicling the exciting early years of the United States’ race to conquer the final frontier, and the daredevil test pilots who ultimately became the first Americans in space.  Kaufman also wrote the screenplay for the film which Pauline Kael of The New Yorker called “astonishingly entertaining and great fun.”

Special Features

The Blu-ray has more than three hours of vintage bonus features that include:

·  The Journey and the Mission - Scene Specific Commentary    

·  John Glenn: American Hero [1998 PBS Documentary]  

·  Realizing the Right Stuff

·  T-20 Years and Counting

·  The Real Men with The Right Stuff

Synopsis

The Right Stuff chronicles NASA’s early efforts to put a man in space and win a crucial public relations and morale building victory over the Soviet Union, who were first to successfully launch a satellite (Sputnik) and the first to put a man in orbit around the earth.  The film juxtaposes the daring feats of test pilots such as Chuck Yeager (Shepard), who shows he has “the right stuff” by breaking the sound barrier, with the accomplishments of the Mercury 7 astronauts and their wives who struggle to maintain a brave front at home.

The Right Stuff 30th Anniversary Blu-ray Book

Street Date: November 5, 2013

Order Due Date: October 1, 2013

Catalog: 1000187230

Rating: PG

Run Time: 193 minutes

Pricing: $27.98 SRP

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Film not old enough to count as a classic BD release. :P

One of my all-time favorite films! I still remember sitting in a movie theater in Champaign, Illinois with about 5 other people.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
JoeDoakes said:
One of the best films of the 1980s imo.
I agree. I have never upgraded from my old flipper DVD from the early years of DVD, so a Blu-ray will be most welcome.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert Crawford said:
Film not old enough to count as a classic BD release. :P

One of my all-time favorite films! I still remember sitting in a movie theater in Champaign, Illinois with about 5 other people.
For some reason, I never got around to seeing this in a theater, even though I had been a big follower of the space program in my youth. I tried to go see it right after it had won 4 oscars, and it was sold out when I got to the theater.

Greatly looking forward to this Blu-ray.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
This film really resonated with me, because I grew up within a half-mile of NASA's small temporary quarters in Houston before the Manned Spacecraft Center opened. In those years (1964-65), we would sometimes see the Mercury Seven astronauts jogging through our quiet neighborhood. Seems like a different world now.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
"There was a demon that lived in the air..."

Easily one of the best of the 80s, and one of those rare films that gets better with repeat viewings. a Day 1 purchase for me at any price.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Rob_Ray said:
This film really resonated with me, because I grew up within a half-mile of NASA's small temporary quarters in Houston before the Manned Spacecraft Center opened. In those years (1964-65), we would sometimes see the Mercury Seven astronauts jogging through our quiet neighborhood. Seems like a different world now.
At the end of the film, we see businessman Frank Sharp talking about providing homes for the astronauts in a new development that would come to be known as "Sharpstown". Now, that area is a scary place known by most Houstonians as "Shots-Town". Yep, seems like a different world now.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This is great news. One of my favorite films. The Blu-ray release seems like one of the longest running release rumors for the format. It has been a long wait.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
When you open the box, there should be photographer's flash bulbs going off to the sound of locusts chattering.Welcome news indeed. Warner's can shut up and take my money.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Now available for Preorder

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks