Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Match Game 73-82 Holdup

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 830 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted July 04 2013 - 12:20 PM

Tuesday marked the 40th Anniversary of this classic game show and it's well over 7 years since The Best of Match Game came out in 2006. So does anyone know what the cause for the holdup is for this classic game show?

Edited by darkrock17, July 04 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#2 of 10 ONLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted July 04 2013 - 12:44 PM

Well, the company that produced the game show DVDs going out of business in late-2008/early 2009 might be one reason we never saw a followup.

Another could be lack of interest.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 830 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted July 04 2013 - 01:11 PM

Mill Creek Entertainment distrubuted all the Fremantle Media Enterprises game show dvd's, there still around aren't they?

#4 of 10 ONLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted July 04 2013 - 01:28 PM

Mill Creek Entertainment distrubuted all the Fremantle Media Enterprises game show dvd's, there still around aren't they?

No, Mill Creek sublicensed and rereleased the already prepared and released box sets.

BCI had the license for the shows originally, and they closed their doors in late '08/early '09.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 830 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted July 04 2013 - 02:36 PM

Oh, I only have the re-release dvd, so I thought Mill Creek had thr rights to the show.  If BCI is RIP who now has the rights to Match Game as well as the Filmation library?

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 2,053 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted July 04 2013 - 04:56 PM

Oh, I only have the re-release dvd, so I thought Mill Creek had thr rights to the show.  If BCI is RIP who now has the rights to Match Game as well as the Filmation library?

For Filmation stuff, Classic Media owns the actual shows (they succeeded Entertainment Rights). I think they self-released that single volume of Isis a couple years back.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,146 posts

Posted July 04 2013 - 09:54 PM

It would be nice to see another set of this show come outon to the DVD format. Thoroughly enjoyed the last release.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,422 posts

Posted July 04 2013 - 11:02 PM

The thing for me though, is that because Match Game was a daily show it also tended to have a running storyline of sorts with game play and the problem with releasing a limited number of shows on DVD out of sequence is that you end up with a lot of shows that will have incomplete game play and leave you hanging. This problem wouldn't exist for the weekly syndicated "Match Game PM" and in the daily syndicated version of 1979-1982 (the weakest era of the show) each week would have to end "clean" because a week's worth of shows were "bicycled" like in the old days of syndicated programs. But for the core era it's more helpful to watch it unfold and see the show develop and no one is going to release some 1500 episodes overall.   (Of course it's easier for me to say this since I have almost all episodes recorded from GSN; there were some weeks GSN couldn't clear, involving respectively TPIR model Anitra Ford and Valerie Bertinelli; GSN also censored and removed from the rerun package two shows that used the word "Queer" a certain way)

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 05:57 AM

I wish the Tattletales and What's My Line? sets came out...

CBS = Constantly Butchering Shows.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,230 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 11:03 AM

Maybe Shout! would be willing to take up the charge here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users