What's new

WHV Announcement: The Big Parade (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

TBP_E-ANNOUNCE8.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

Last edited by a moderator:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Great! Must-have for me. I see no mention of the music score. I ssure hope they use the same Carl Davis score as was used on the VHS.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
:D this announcement made my day, waiting on pre-order

there are some other silent that I would love to see WB get around to, but that would be showing my "Greed"

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Very glad to see WHV finally give this film the deluxe treatment it deserves.

Needless to say, sales of this item will likely be a key factor it the chance of getting more silent films released from the WB, including some of the major MIA ones like The Wind and Greed.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I thought this one would get bumped to the archives. Super excited to get this blu as a blind buy!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Great news! This is at the top of my most wanted silents. Hopefully this sells enough to encourage Warner to release all their other A-list silents to Blu.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
This is a HUGE announcement. It's been one of the most sought after missing titles, as was Wings.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, WHV! I will buy this and, as others said, hope that this sells well enough to bring out more titles. WINGS from Paramount was a great BD also and it's gratifying knowing that 21st century audiences can watch films that their grandparents and great grandparents perhaps saw in their local cinema.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Anxious to get this.....nice to see a top-notch presentation. It should be gorgeous quality, since it was restored from the then-recently-rediscovered camera negative a few years ago.

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
I am very excited about this. I can only echo the sentiments of others who have posted, I hope that this sells well enough to encourage Warner to release more silents. :)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm suspicious of this being the highest grossing silent but it's still good to see it coming out. Hopefully THE WIND will be up next (or at least soon).

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Michael Elliott said:
I'm suspicious of this being the highest grossing silent but it's still good to see it coming out. Hopefully THE WIND will be up next (or at least soon).
It was the biggest box office hit of Hollywood silent film production. It simply shattered records when it was released, and with silent film going away in the US within the five years after it nothing ever got a real chance to defeat it. It's estimated to have earned somewhere between $18-22 million worldwide. Depending on the records referenced, this may or may not have surpassed The Birth of a Nation, but the thing with Birth is that it pre-dates what most consider the "modern era" style of studio production that was prominent in the 1920s.

Of course, ultimately whether it was the highest grossing silent film before The Artist or not is a bit of marketing sillyness. It's not as though a lot of the same people who bought theatrical tickets to The Artist bought tickets to The Big Parade a few years before, like Titanic vs. Avatar....

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It was so big and ran for so long in theaters (two years in some cities) that when the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences was formed and submissions were being accepted for consideration for Best Picture, there were votes for both The Big Parade and The Gold Rush because they were still playing even though the movies could only be nominated if they opened between August 1, 1927 and July 31, 1928.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I guess Warner should change the quote to "The Highest Grossing Modern Era Silent Movie So That We Don't Have to Mention That Griffith Movie." :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Now available for preorder from Amazon.

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

RBlenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Blenheim
Does anyone know if the version coming out in Blu-ray is the Thames TV restoration with the great music score by Carl Davis?

I will NOT buy it unless it's that version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks