Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need Bad Day at Black Rock on blu-ray

MGM Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Screenwriter

• 1,128 posts
  • LocationPallookaville, USA

Posted May 24 2013 - 02:46 AM

This is one of those titles that I would think would already be on blu-ray so it must be coming soon...isn't it?

Attached Thumbnails

• Spencer Tracy.jpg

Edited by Reggie W, May 24 2013 - 02:47 AM.

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Screenwriter

• 1,128 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 02:48 AM

Bad day at black rock.jpg

Edited by Reggie W, May 24 2013 - 02:51 AM.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Screenwriter

• 1,128 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 02:52 AM

baddayatblackrock  French.jpg

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,352 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 24 2013 - 06:18 AM

A classic like this deserves the full special edition treatment, but I'd be happy with a Warner Archive Blu-ray at this point.

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Number 6

Number 6

Agent

• 46 posts
  • LocationVancouver, British Columbia

Posted May 24 2013 - 07:19 AM

I'm a bit of a Bad Day at Black Rock fanatic. One of my prized possessions is a mint condition of an original one-sheet. This is on my holy grail list of titles for blu.

Edited by Number 6, May 24 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,671 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted May 24 2013 - 07:36 AM

A classic like this deserves the full special edition treatment, but I'd be happy with a Warner Archive Blu-ray at this point.

With the s-l-o-w rate of Warner Blu-ray Archive releases, I think we'd all be dead by the time Warner got around to it! It's a key & famous 50's movie with a legendary star, & it really should be out on a good looking Blu-ray by now, but I suppose there's a lot of classic movies awaiting the Blu treatment, & more than a few won't get it.

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted May 24 2013 - 08:45 AM

Yes, please.

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 09:05 AM

This one will probably take a while due to the elements in question.  The DVD itself was good, but left much to be desired, probably owing much to the "MetroColor" process used in the film.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,202 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 10:48 AM

I would not be at all surprised to see this film come out via Twilight Time. In fact I think that's more likely than Fox releasing it themselves on BRD.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,560 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 24 2013 - 10:52 AM

I would not be at all surprised to see this film come out via Twilight Time. In fact I think that's more likely than Fox releasing it themselves on BRD.

The thread tag says MGM, but Warner owns this film outright, so no TT.

Edited by Brandon Conway, May 24 2013 - 10:53 AM.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,202 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 11:04 AM

The thread tag says MGM, but Warner owns this film outright, so no TT.

You're quite right. I had a brain storm, and I know how and why. Both Ernest Bornine and Lee Marvin were also in Violent Saturday which is, of course, a Fox movie and which I've seen recently on BRD.

Everyone: please ignore my earlier post. It's total nonsense!

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,200 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted May 24 2013 - 06:14 PM

I have this on DVD but haven't watched it. My memories are from the great Criterion Laserdisc with the John Sturges commentary. I bought the DVD thinking it was there but it's a scholar instead - can anyone give a review of it?If Warner decides to give more films to Criterion after Badlands, this would be an ideal candidate owing to their already having exclusive extras.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted May 24 2013 - 07:32 PM

+1 wanting this, but then I can think off the top of my head 10 films with Spencer Tracy that I would like to see out on blu ray

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 25 2013 - 06:38 AM

I have this on DVD but haven't watched it. My memories are from the great Criterion Laserdisc with the John Sturges commentary. I bought the DVD thinking it was there but it's a scholar instead - can anyone give a review of it?

If Warner decides to give more films to Criterion after Badlands, this would be an ideal candidate owing to their already having exclusive extras.

I would say the transfer on the DVD is a significant upgrade over the laser disc. However, the commentary on the DVD is only okay. Nothing special.

Listening to the commentary by John Sturges on the Criterion laser disc was like taking a workshop with him. A clinic on how to direct movies. I transferred it to VHS, and later transferred the VHS to DVD-R. I listen to it occasionally. What a shame it couldn't be included on the DVD. It's the best commentary I've heard because it's so instructive. Not burdened by trivia.

Posted Image

Edited by Richard--W, May 25 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,163 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted May 25 2013 - 07:38 AM

Listening to the commentary by John Sturges on the Criterion laser disc was like taking a workshop with him. A clinic on how to direct movies. I transferred it to VHS, and later transferred the VHS to DVD-R. I listen to it occasionally. What a shame it couldn't be included on the DVD. It's the best commentary I've heard because it's so instructive. Not burdened by trivia.

Thanks. Just the project I needed for this long, rainy Memorial Day weekend. Would love to see this, and Inherit the Wind (1960) on Blu-ray. Found an old thread here that hasn't been updated in a while. Might be of interest to others.: Criterion Laserdisc Commentaries NOT on DVD (Yet)

Edited by Reed Grele, May 25 2013 - 07:40 AM.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Eastmancolor

Eastmancolor

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted May 25 2013 - 10:58 AM

This one will probably take a while due to the elements in question.  The DVD itself was good, but left much to be desired, probably owing much to the "MetroColor" process used in the film.

I'm sure this isn't news to most here but Metrocolor was simply Eastman Color processed by the MGM lab.  The credits for BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK actually say "Eastman Color" because at this point the studio labs around town hadn't started putting their names in the credits.

The various labs processed Eastman Color negative the same way.  Some were a bit more careful than others, but by and large an Eastman negative at Metrocolor was no different than an Eastman negative at Deluxe. 

Prints of course were another matter.  Deluxe didn't have a good reputation for print quality well up into the 1970's, whereas Metrocolor did excellent work.  Nevertheless, Eastman prints, no matter who printed them, had a limited shelf life.  Better processing, such as what was found at Technicolor and Metrocolor, extended the color life of many Eastman prints, but they all eventually turned.  Only since the introduction of lowfade stocks in the early 1980's (and of course Technicolor dye transfer prints before that) have color prints had any sort of longevity.

Lastly, most of the Eastman negatives from the early to mid-1950's tend to hold up better color-wise than titles shot at the end of the decade.  There is definitely some fade in the earlier negatives, but it can usually be compensated for, so there's a good chance that BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK still has plenty of color left.

Here's hoping WB gets around to the Blu-ray on this title.  It doesn't stream online in HD, so perhaps they haven't done any work on this title of late.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Screenwriter

• 1,128 posts

Posted May 27 2013 - 02:49 AM

It would great to see Criterion get this back for a blu-ray release with the Sturges commentary...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users