What's new

What's In Demand But Not Tried Yet? - A List (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I thought since I've been posting on the slowdowns of the majors with regard to releasing classic material, today, I would try to analyze the reasons behind it. One of the most important factors, as I see it, is one of the most simple. Basically, I feel that "most" of the major series that are really going to appeal to a large buying public (and maximize profits) aren't available because :

1) They have already been tried and stalled due to poor sales or problems licensing additional seasons.

2) Have music clearance issues or other legal problems (disputes with family rightsholders, etc)

3) Non availability of usable prints

So where does that leave us exactly? What I decided to is take a good look at what other MAJOR series left untried that don't fit into the above three categories, would garner enough interest to make a realistic profit for a distributor. As before, I am not including one season shows (save a small few) because as I said before, I feel there isn't enough interest outside the niche market to make a decent profit for a distributor. Be aware of several things going in:

1) These are unreleased shows, not stalled shows, game shows, soaps, variety, or anthologies

2) I have abolutely no idea whether some of the shows listed have unsable prints

3) I am stretching on some of these shows, Interest may be substantially less than what I estimate.

50's - Our Miss Brooks, Bachelor Father, Ozzie and Harriet, Richard Diamond, The Big 4 Wanrer detective shows (although I'm not so certain Surfside, and Bourban Street would sell well), leaving out Rifleman since apparantly it's coming out, Hennessey (maybe).

60's - Batman/Hornet (of course), Name Of The Game, Run For Your Life, NYPD, Defenders, Ben Casey (I think a couple volumes of a PD release is out there now), Mr. Novak and I'll throw in 3 one and done shows (East Side/West Side, Cain's Hundred, and For The People) since according to what I read on here, there is substantial interest in them.

70's - Temperature's Rising, Movin On, Chico, BJ/Lobo, Hec Ramsey. Maybe stretching it if I include Longstreet and Dan August

80's - The biggie - WONDER YEARS, Dear John

That's really all I came up with IMO. I know there will be differing opinions. I really believe I even probably stretched greatly on a couple here. Temperature's Rising (?).

So here's the point of my rambling. This is probably the largest reason for the slowdown. There are nor many (IMO) major shows left out for the MASS audience that's profitable for the distributors to release. Truthfully, most of the best remembered series have been at been least tried at one time or another. I think the best we can hope for is for a handful of these (and maybe a select few other ones) to come out and that the biggies with find a way (either through licensing, resolving some rights issues, or resuming stalled titles) to finish most of the already stalled shows.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Not that it makes a huge difference but I forgot Life Of Riley and December Bride.

I purposedly left out Amos/Andy because IMO that show ain't ever coming out.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
50's - The Lineup, AKA San Francisco Beat

60's - The Trials of O'Brien

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Richard V said:
50's - The Lineup, AKA San Francisco Beat

60's - The Trials of O'Brien
Three really great shows, but what's the market for them? Honestly, I couldn't begin to guess. I'd love to see Lineup personally

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
BJ/Lobo lacks from name recognition anymore. Unlike other shows of that era, there hasn't been syndication for those two in probably 25 years. Plus, I believe the tapes of those went up in the Universal fire. I believe Neil told me that the 35mm properties still exist but then you'd have the issue of transferring those, etc.

Our Miss Brooks is solely on its 35mm properties and was never transferred to tape either. Plus it suffers from not being syndicated in years either. I'm 39 and I don't ever remember it being syndicated at all in this area.

Ozzie and Harriet there is some hope for thanks to a Kickstarter campaign by one of the family members. You can search for that particular thread as it's on here somewhere.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I consider Dragnet (B&W) to be one of the major unreleased shows.

Sure, there are about 30 episodes out in PD releases... 30 out of 200. No season sets, no decent quality prints, just 30 PD quality episodes recycled 30 different ways.

And, yeah, lack of cheap, useable prints ios probably what is keeping this from being released.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Ron1973 said:
BJ/Lobo lacks from name recognition anymore. Unlike other shows of that era, there hasn't been syndication for those two in probably 25 years. Plus, I believe the tapes of those went up in the Universal fire. I believe Neil told me that the 35mm properties still exist but then you'd have the issue of transferring those, etc.

Our Miss Brooks is solely on its 35mm properties and was never transferred to tape either. Plus it suffers from not being syndicated in years either. I'm 39 and I don't ever remember it being syndicated at all in this area.

Ozzie and Harriet there is some hope for thanks to a Kickstarter campaign by one of the family members. You can search for that particular thread as it's on here somewhere.
The only time in my life I saw Our Miss Brooks was on a small indy station locally in the mid 80's

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I would say Chico and the Man. I don't really count the six episode DVD as anything so I would say it hasn't been released. Same with Step By Step I believe.

Not sure of the demand, but Burns and Allen, The Millionaire, Love That Bob and Rin Tin Tin were all long running and very popular shows. Among later shows, both Trapper John and Chicago Hope were popular and long running medical shows.

The longest running show with the most episodes that hasn't seen a single release on DVD is DVD! Death Valley Days. 532 episodes. Timeless has been trying to get this one for years now but the company owns it and has no real interest in doing anything with it nor do they have anyone in the company who was around when it aired or knows anything about the show or the TV business. So there they sit, collecting dust. Its actually worse than when the major studios sit on shows. At least they are in the TV business and make their decisions based on some kind of knowledge as to what they are doing (except Fox of course). But the Borax people don't know and don't care.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Neil Brock said:
The longest running show with the most episodes that hasn't seen a single release on DVD is DVD! Death Valley Days. 532 episodes. Timeless has been trying to get this one for years now but the company owns it and has no real interest in doing anything with it nor do they have anyone in the company who was around when it aired or knows anything about the show or the TV business. So there they sit, collecting dust. Its actually worse than when the major studios sit on shows. At least they are in the TV business and make their decisions based on some kind of knowledge as to what they are doing (except Fox of course). But the Borax people don't know and don't care.
Lassie checks in with over 550 episodes unreleased on DVD (About 30 or so episodes have been released on several "Best of" Sets) What's available is only the tip of a VERY Big Iceberg!

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Nobody called me on it, but I whiiffed on Switch. And missing Trapper John and Lassie makes me question my 'expertise." LOL.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Our Miss Brooks (which is as hilarious as it is on radio as it was on TV, since the original actors looked like their voices) and Life of Riley floated about in a few public-domain disks for a while--Think it's that the shows may have just dropped out of sight.
Brooks was a Desilu production, so CBS must still have it, but doesn't explain why it would turn up in the PD ether.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks