What's new

Panasonic PT-AE8000U questions (1 Viewer)

seditious3

Grip
Real Name
Scott
Hi! I'm leaning towards this projector because I want to use it in my home theater and outdoors. Given its light output and memory functions, it seems to be the most suitable. I was considering the JVC but the light output seems like it won't do well outdoors.

Agree/disagree/other choices?

Also, If I have it about 15 feet away from the screen, can I mount it about 3 feet horizontally off center?

Thanks!

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
The moon phase should certainly be considered, any other ambient light in your situation? The Panny is rated at 600 lumens in the best calibrated mode and certainly will be one of the brightest currently on the market.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/panasonic/pt-ae8000/

However the JVC will likely beat it in every other way except maybe brightness. What model JVC are you considering? What screen size and screen material will you be using for outside? The Panny is 19 pounds, the JVC will likely be in excess of 30 pounds....not sure if that matters to you. Either will be fine mounted off center.

The sony 50es is supposed to be pretty bright too, 900 lumens...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony_vpl-hw50es_home_theater_projector_review.htm

Sony 30es is rated at 850 lumens...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony_vpl-hw30es_3d_projector_review.htm

seditious3

Grip
Real Name
Scott
Thanks Type A. I was considering the DLA-X35. I know it's a better projector, but it won't cut it outside. I'll have some ambient lighting that I can't control. The 30es seems like an option, but isn't it 1300 lumens compared to the panny 2200?

seditious3

Grip
Real Name
Scott
Also, when outside the projector may be 25-30 feet from the screen. That's not essential, and if I find something that can handle the outdoor showings, I"ll consider it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you are really going to go for 25-30(for I presume a 225"-ish image)....you need dedicated projectors.

You really aren't going to find a "fight the moon and elements" projector that will be worth a darn indoors. I don't care what kind of "mad memory settings" it has.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
At that kind of throw distance any projector is going to struggle with brightness, regardless of published lumens (save maybe large venue projectors). And i certainly wouldnt go with published lumens from manufactures any more than i would go with their published contrast ratios! No, I would go with calibrated numbers like all the links i posted earlier in pro reviews for a better idea of realistic lumen outputs. Unless you plan on skipping a somewhat accurate image, and just running in torch mode, your actual lumens will be no where near the manufactures published lumens.

seditious3

Grip
Real Name
Scott
Excellent advice all - thanks! I can get as close to the screen as I want outside. Yeah, 20 feet won't cut it. I'll read what you all have linked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks