What's new

Disc Resume? (1 Viewer)

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
Why do some blu-rays resume where they start, but others always start at the beginning. I have disc resume set to on on the PS3, but it doesn't work on all discs. Can someone explain this to me? Why have an option if it doesn't do anything?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Discs that don;t resume play are pretty much my only bitch with the Bluray format. It's just dumb.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
its almost a dirty word ,you never see any of the Internet reviews even mention if a new title doesn't have resume play

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Do my eyes deceive me...and this thread was really started in 2013?

This isn't a dead thread from 2007?

And people thought HD-DVD was the inferior format...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
schan1269 said:
Do my eyes deceive me...and this thread was really started in 2013? This isn't a dead thread from 2007? And people thought HD-DVD was the inferior format...
No it's a new thread because we can't believe manufacturers are still too dopey to program the discs with auto resume without using the stupid coloured bookmark buttons that no one likes to do.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
And they do (and don't do) so much more than that. It's really disheartening how the system just isn't used to its potential.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Charles Smith said:
And they do (and don't do) so much more than that. It's really disheartening how the system just isn't used to its potential.
what the buttons?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Yes, but one of my bigger gripes is the way menu functionality is used, abused, mis-used, mis-handled, ignored, you name it... not only differently by every studio but often differently among releases.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Russell G said:
No it's a new thread because we can't believe manufacturers are still too dopey to program the discs with auto resume without using the stupid coloured bookmark buttons that no one likes to do.
By the way, the "lack of resume" was the big reason we all shrugged and went "great...what now?" as we sat in our office and the Toshiba press release email came in(3 weeks earlier than released publicly, so we could "buy-back" any still in box HD-DVD players from retailers) that they gave up...

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
My recently purchased LG bd player (region free and 3D capable, no less) remembers where I left off on bds.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I'm not sure why disc resume is such a big issue to be honest.

I assume most people want to stop the disc to take a bathroom break, or make a coffee or some popcorn - in which case just pausing the movie achieves the same thing, and pausing for several minutes does no harm to the disc or player. If you have a plasma and are afraid of image retention during pausing, just switch the input temporarily to Digital TV so there's no static image while you're away.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Persianimmortal said:
I'm not sure why disc resume is such a big issue to be honest.

I assume most people want to stop the disc to take a bathroom break, or make a coffee or some popcorn - in which case just pausing the movie achieves the same thing, and pausing for several minutes does no harm to the disc or player. If you have a plasma and are afraid of image retention during pausing, just switch the input temporarily to Digital TV so there's no static image while you're away.
Try reviewing (or watching for entertainment) a TV box set which has six to eight episodes per disc. You don't normally watch an entire disc in one sitting, but imagine remembering which episode you left off with, and it gets to be a REAL pain.

I have been going back through season 4 of Bones recently, and that was before Fox was building resume into its Blu-ray coding. It has been the BIGGEST hassle finding my way back each day to where I left off. Thankfully, Fox not only added resume to their features but also instituted Season Play on some of their series sets so that your player will remember which episodes of an entire season you've watched.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I can deal with no resume function (I assume it isn't there and wait for a new chapter before stopping). It's the automatic previews for upcoming disc and theatrical releases that bug me more.

Also bugging me more are the overly complex and eye-candy-laden menus that take forever to load. Just show Start, Chapters, Setup and Bonus and let it go at that. I care about the film and the bonus stuff; I DON'T care about motion graphics of trains, dolphins, space ships, explosions, car chases and crashes, waterfalls, twinkling stars on pools in front of a castle, and cutesy-pie things like "Initiate Mission" where "Start Film" should be.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Resume play problems are because of one thing, if the disc has BD-Java then you cannot resume play, if it doesn't then you can.

Is this an old thread, oh well nevermind then, people probably already know this. :lol:

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Speaking of Resume play, my sealed copy of Scalphunters started playing at the 16 minute mark when I opened the case and popped the disc in. This means one of two things:

Someone at the packing plant was testing (watching?) my disc before they sealed it, or
I got someone's repackaged return.

I guess it doesn't matter either way as the disc appears to be flawless and works. I just thought it was strange.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TravisR said:
^ I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that the disc resume is related to the player and not the disc.
All players have disc resume as a feature but BD-Java on the actual disc stops it from working.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks