Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Oz The Great and Powerful available for Preorder (3D Blu-ray) (Blu-ray Combo)

Disney

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,624 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 04:07 AM

71J8vD+VLbL._SL1267_.jpg  81Ve2cCs6UL._SL1242_.jpg

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,398 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 05 2013 - 10:16 AM

Can those covers be correct? They are the same price and you get a Blu-ray 3D disc and digital with one and a Blu-ray disc and digital with the other?

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,413 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted April 07 2013 - 09:45 AM

Ok, that's weird.  3D and non 3D are the same price.  I'll have to wait for a deal on the 3D.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#4 of 22 ONLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,247 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 11 2013 - 11:38 AM

Well that stinks. Looks like the end is coming for the 3D plus non 3D in the same package.
facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted April 11 2013 - 11:44 AM

Well that stinks. Looks like the end is coming for the 3D plus non 3D in the same package.

Bill Hunt said something similar on The Digital Bits, but I don't get it. Can't 3D Blu-rays play in 2D on any Blu-ray player?

#6 of 22 ONLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,247 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 11 2013 - 11:57 AM

That was what I thought but now i'm not sure.
facebook.com/whotony

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,413 posts

Posted April 11 2013 - 12:00 PM

To make it worse, there a $5 coupon on the 2D but not the 3D. That pisses me off.

I thought the blu-ray standard required 3D to also support 2D? If this disc is 3D only, I'll vote with m wallet and pass on it. What if I have company and they don't like 3D?

I hope thi s is just a labeling error.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,748 posts

Posted April 11 2013 - 01:07 PM

I know using PowerDVD 12 on my computer, I can watch 3D Blu-rays in 2D (at least the few I have).  PowerDVD can also convert 3D Blus to red/green so you can watch them in 3D on a non-3D set using colored glasses.

Vincent

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,078 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 11 2013 - 07:15 PM

Also note that the 2D version includes a copy on DVD. This is pretty screwy. Re: 3D BDs being playable in 2D on 2D players, the straight answer is: it depends. MVC allows for it, but many studios insist on authoring separate versions, giving excuses like the BD needs the extra room as it is for 3D, blah, blah, blah. Even Sony is inconsistent in this regard; many titles come out being 2D compatible, but some do not (mostly kiddie titles).

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#10 of 22 ONLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,873 posts

Posted April 12 2013 - 12:17 AM

I thought the blu-ray standard required 3D to also support 2D? If this disc is 3D only, I'll vote with m wallet and pass on it. What if I have company and they don't like 3D?

As a 3-D owner, I'm hoping it's NOT a labeling error, but thinking it probably is, because it's just too darn good to be true.  :huh:

Put yourself in the 3D owners' position.   ( :3dglasses:   <- There.)

When we go down to Best Buy to buy Wreck-It Ralph 3D or Monsters Inc. 3D, do we buy it?--No.  We buy the 3D disk, plus the 2D disk, plus the combo DVD disk, plus the now-meaningless DC surcharge/disk, for a 4-5 disk price of $45 MSRP.

I don't want them.    The 2D Blu-ray was put in the box on the off-chance I didn't have a 3D player yet, and the disk wouldn't be accepted....I do have one.  Strike one.  (Oh, and if I "have friends over" and "need" to show them the movie in 2D because they don't want to or I don't have the glasses, I've got a button on my 3DTV remote that does that.  Save the plastic.)  What, is there "not enough room" on the 3D disk for bonus features?--Say, here's an idea we haven't seen in literally years:  How about a separate bonus disk of features, that you can put in with either the 2D and 3D combos separately, without having to make special printings of either?  Gee, guess we never had room for those lately, had we, but looks like there'll be plenty of room now!

And unlike some, I don't want the DVD.  I won't begrudge it to others, but if there are some who are so low-tech as to want the 2D Blu-ray as well, go buy the BD+DVD combo.  That's why they sold it separately.

So far, "disk piggyback" has been one of the two problems crippling 3D Blu-ray sales in the country.  We've solved "Studio exclusives", now we're trying to work on the studios not worrying that they have to bend over backwards for us, make their 3D Blu releases all things to every customer, and charge the target customers the cost of all those security crutches.

We've been begging and PLEADING with the studios, and frankly, I thought Fox would give in first.  Long before Disney.  But no, Disney seems to be sending out a test guinea pig of whether those 3D customers they worked so hard to cultivate with their Disney, Pixar and Alice releases actually would buy a 3D Blu-ray solo. 

As for the same-price-as-the-combos thing, I'll just take that as typical Disney cold-feet, and that they're trying to stack the deck against the experiment.  That, or making sure it's an even playing field to judge the sales numbers.

Darn, it's like Avatar all over again:  I want to rush out and buy a copy just to make my statement about making the 3D industry a better and saner place for the customer, but that would mean having to watch the movie.

Edited by Ejanss, April 12 2013 - 03:17 AM.

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,398 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 12 2013 - 04:21 AM

I wonder how the changeover from 1.33 to 2.4 ar will be done on the Blu-ray? I hope the 1.33 will be within the 2.4 letterbox frame.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,078 posts

Posted April 12 2013 - 08:01 AM

If previous experience is any indication (Brother Bear), it will be.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,078 posts

Posted April 12 2013 - 08:04 AM

To make it worse, there a $5 coupon on the 2D but not the 3D. That pisses me off.

Johnny, what kind of display do you have? My Panny allows me to play 3D discs in 2D, even if the 3D disc is authored 3D only.

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,413 posts

Posted April 12 2013 - 06:38 PM

I have a Samsung 55ES7100. I don't know if it has to ability to convert 3D to 2D.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Ruly2

Ruly2

Second Unit

• 425 posts

Posted April 17 2013 - 12:26 PM

Official Trade Ad #1

Oz trade ad #1.jpg

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,398 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 18 2013 - 07:11 AM

So, there are four versions now.

Blu-ray and DVD

Blu-ray 3D

Blu-ray

DVD

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#17 of 22 ONLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,873 posts

Posted April 18 2013 - 09:49 AM

Well, they're definitely experimenting, and trying to figure out what not to release--

I keep getting online marketing surveys (including one for Oz, a month ago) asking "Would you buy a 3D edition, if it was available?  Would you buy a DVD-only edition, if it was available?"

I've responded several times that "no, I would not buy a DVD edition on a train, I would not buy it in the rain", but they seem to be still on the last edges of clinging to it as their safest bottom-tier mass-market Wal-mart impulse sales.

RIght now, they've put all their eggs in the Ultimate Combo basket, and they may be just starting to hit upon worries that it's hurting sales.  In the case of 3-D, they're right, but we just have to help them work through this stage, and come out to a healthy new perspective.  (Ie., a 3+2 edition, and a 2+DVD edition, that's IT.)

• Johnny Angell likes this

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,413 posts

Posted April 18 2013 - 10:11 AM

Yeah, that 3+2 is what I want.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,398 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 19 2013 - 11:24 AM

So, there are four versions now.

Blu-ray and DVD

Blu-ray 3D

Blu-ray

DVD

The UK adds a Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray version - region free

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,413 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 12:46 PM

I wonder if there will be any content differences between US and UK?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users