What's new

Harvey Lavan Cliburn (1934-2013) (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/arts/headlines/20130227-pianist-van-cliburn-dies-at-age-78.ece Van Cliburn was among my all-time favorite pianists. I met him back in the 1970s when he performed on Cape Cod. I got to talk to him after his recital too, which was wonderful. In tribute to Van Cliburn:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Van Cliburn achieved unprecedented popularity for a classical musician. I enjoyed hearing him in person in the 70s. RIP.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
On January 14, 1966 (I just dug out the program) my parents allowed me to drive myself, on my new driver's license, from Fort Lauderdale down to Miami to hear Cliburn play a recital program at the Dade County Auditorium. As was already fairly typical, I think, he was late arriving and starting, and I wish I could truthfully say I remember a lot more than that about the evening -- but I have always been glad to know that I was in his presence and heard him play, live, at least once.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron Silverman said:
Sorry to hear about that. Thanks for sharing.
Aaron, You're welcome. He left quite an impression on me. I idolized him as a child and as a teenager. He inspired me to practice the piano about six hours a day back in the 1970s. And I will forever remember his words of encouragement to me the day I met him. His recordings of Tchaikovsky (and other composers) are wonderful, but it's his interpretation of Chopin that I admire the most.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I practiced piano about six minutes a day back in the 1970s. Now I'm trying to convince my kid that I regret not doing more!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron Silverman said:
I practiced piano about six minutes a day back in the 1970s. Now I'm trying to convince my kid that I regret not doing more!
LOL! Back in the 1980s, I taught piano to about forty students a week. I knew I was in trouble as far as my students practicing when I asked them this: "How long did you practice this week?" And they responded with: "You mean, counting this half hour?" :rolleyes:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't know how to embed this. Cliburn performing the National Anthem, Opening Day 1994, Rangers Ballpark: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25632863&topic_id=0&c_id=tex&tcid=vpp_copy_25632863&v=3

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Greg, Thanks for the link. I tried to embed it as well, with no luck. It probably has to do with the prefix code. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks