What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What do you think? Does the writer have a point..."The Best Films That the Oscars Ignored" (1 Viewer)

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
6b65129f_John-Carter-International-Poster1.jpeg
The Best Films That the Oscars Ignored
This evening is the annual Academy Awards telethon for Harvey Weinstein, and the Academy has again decided to nominate every dull, derivative, and overly melodramatic film appearing in theaters the past twelve months. There have been over three hundred films about Lincoln. Dozens for the French Revolution, even in song. The same for token films about impoverished empowerment. Endless are the entries of “based on a true story” terrorist capers. In fact, everything else nominated is either passé or redundant. The following is a guide to a few films of merit the Academy ignored. John Carter is an excellent picture. It was, however, considered a colossal flop and is expected to be a $200-million loss. At its premiere the movie was shown in 3D, IMAX, and ordinary versions. When I finally viewed it on the small screen it was exhilarating: imaginative and interesting yet with dramatic action. It is no great philosophical film but is quite fun and enjoyable all the same, much as Raiders of the Lost Ark was before auteurs raised it to ridiculous cult status. It features a handsome brave hero, a beautiful intelligent princess, and a clever resolution which rewards nobility. While there are plenty of green Martians in the film, few other minorities appear. Years ago a disgusted executive said of The Rocketeer (also produced by Disney) he never wanted to hear another parent complain they couldn’t take their children to the cinema for a pleasant afternoon because when they had the opportunity absolutely nobody went. No, there is not intelligent life on Mars (at least not now). But the fact that so many patrons turned up their affected noses at the prospect of a little nostalgic diversion is a good indication there isn’t much intelligence left here on Earth, either.
Read the rest, if you want here: http://takimag.com/article/the_best_films_that_the_oscars_ignored_guy_somerset#axzz2LrKg1yPH

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This guy leads of with John Carter? I did like this movie and I own the 3D version but...it was no glaring omission that it didn't get any nominations. It's a fun film, should have done better at the BO but it didn't deserve any oscar nominations (as many good films don't). I didn't see any of the other films on his short list so I won't comment on them. His article had at least a hint of contrarianism. I got the feeling that at least some of his opinion is based on wanting to be contrary to prevailing opinion. IMHO, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks