-

Photo

ALL THINGS 'GODZILLA' ON DVD AND BLU-RAY!!!!!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#61 of 167 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 01:00 PM

a7dcc1575c737193e3cb4ae7b79f9d1f.jpg

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has (tentatively) scheduled for an April 01st, 2014 release a bluray edition of KING KONG VS. GODZILLA (1963) so from all the news-information that has been made known in this discussion forum it appears that some effort is (fittingly) being made to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the (now) legendary Godzilla.

It would great if some of the spectacular theatrical trailers dynamically promoting the film could be included as extras.  Lately it seems that these companies are getting real lax in this.

KKongvsGodzilla%2B%252813%2529.jpg

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hlu6dOqKBEE

Jeff T.

:D

#62 of 167 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 420 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 06:46 PM

These will be blu ray counterparts to the DVDs...oh well

#63 of 167 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,692 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 08:08 AM

What? Nobody's mentioned this:

www.dreadcentral.com/news/73510/kraken-releasing-godzillas-battles-smog-monster-sea-monster-and-gigan-blu-ray-summer

1967 may have been the Summer of Love, but 2014 will be the Summer of Godzilla, and Kraken Releasing is spreading the kaiju (giant monster) goodness with the first U.S. Blu-ray release of three classic films featuring the world's most famous giant reptile. Also available on DVD, and including both the English dubbed and original Japanese versions with English subtitles, these are three of the big G's wildest adventures ever and showcase why, sixty years after his atomic birth at Japan's TOHO Studios, Godzilla is still one of the biggest names in the entertainment industry!

The fun begins as 1971's Godzilla vs.Hedorah, released theatrically in the U.S in 1972 as Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster, pits Godzilla against the forces of pollution in the form of a constantly mutating, acid-spewing behemoth from outer space. With eye-popping 1970's “mod” costumes, hairstyles and psychedelic visuals that include conventional cel animation alongside the special effects by Teruyoshi Nakano, Godzilla vs. Hedoarh director Yoshimitsu Banno's ecologically focused take on the world's greatest monster is easily one of the most unique films in the series and required viewing for any giant monster fan or cult film enthusiast.

What happens when three major movie monsters slam dance in the South Seas? The answer is 1966's Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, originally released in the U.S. in 1968 under the title Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster. Pairing Godzilla and another of TOHO's most popular kaiju, the giant moth Mothra, against a wide variety of adversaries, including the titular sea monster, giant birds and a mysterious terrorist organization, the wet and wild widescreen spectacular was directed by Jun Fukuda.

Finally, 1972's Godzilla vs. Gigan ups the giant monster ante once again with a series of tag team battles featuring four classic kaiju. Released theatrically in the United States in 1977 as Godzilla on Monster Island and again directed by Jun Fukuda with special effects by Teruyoshi Nakano, the film unites Godzilla and spiny ally Anguirus against two of the series' most popular opponents: the three headed monster King Ghidorah and the new alien cyborg Gigan.

Sounds like we're getting both the English and Japanese versions, too! So while I'll probably pass on the new Kong v G, these ones are a sure buy for me!

#64 of 167 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 01:12 PM

king-kong-vs-godzilla.jpg

Thanks Tony!  This was mentioned earlier in the discussion thread but it never hurts to reaffirm great news.

As I (previously) said somehow I misplaced my standard DVD pressings so this comes as welcomed news indeed.

While I'm here Universal Studios Home Entertainment will also be releasing KING KONG ESCAPES (1968) in bluray on April 01st, 2014 as well.  It unfortunate that it couldn't have been doubleteamed with KING KONG VS. GODZILLA (1963) in a two disc set once again.

Keep up the fine work and enjoy your blurays!

RUJEtQU.jpg

Jeff T

#65 of 167 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 06:22 AM

www.dreadcentral.com/news/73510/kraken-releasing-godzillas-battles-smog-monster-sea-monster-and-gigan-blu-ray-summer

Sounds like we're getting both the English and Japanese versions, too! So while I'll probably pass on the new Kong v G, these ones are a sure buy for me!

Yeah, but does G VS. SMOG MONSTER have the original AIP English dub (which I have on VHS) with the "Save the Earth" song or the inferior Toho-produced English dub which doesn't have that version of the song? That could be a deal maker or breaker for some of us.

#66 of 167 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts
  • LocationI.E., CA

Posted February 13 2014 - 06:01 PM

Preordered these three but am not double dipping for the two Universals. If Universal gave both versions, of course we would all be double dipping. Since Universal did no restorations on these two, my SDs will do me just fine!

...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#67 of 167 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,692 posts

Posted February 14 2014 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, if the Kong v Godzilla had sported both versions, I'd have bought them in a hot second. Hell, even with some extras, I might have given the releases some serious thought. But untouched, as is releases? No thanks!

#68 of 167 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts

Posted February 15 2014 - 06:32 AM

Yeah, but does G VS. SMOG MONSTER have the original AIP English dub (which I have on VHS) with the "Save the Earth" song or the inferior Toho-produced English dub which doesn't have that version of the song? That could be a deal maker or breaker for some of us.

G vs Smog is just about guaranteed to be a rehash of the Sony release.  There's been no word of Titra dubs showing up on any of these Kraken titles.  Outside of the additional resolution, which has been questionable on the Toho BLUs released in Japan, don't expect anything that hasn't already been released for years now.

#69 of 167 OFFLINE   SWFF

SWFF

Screenwriter

• 1,852 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted February 15 2014 - 08:01 AM

Here's some news from the Kaiju & Tokusatsu On Video on Facebook. From various posters about the Section23 titles. :

"I received word today from Section23 that the upcoming Kraken Releasing DVD/BD will NOT contain the original American dubs. Toho was implied (but not outright stated) to be the reason why. Unfortunate news." (SOURCE)

"A bit more Kraken info: The subtitles for the films are "brand new". The trailers will also be subtitled. I'd asked if they'd include the Japanese 5.1 remixes but got no reply on that." (SOURCE)

#70 of 167 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 03:02 AM

king-king-vs-godzilla1.jpg

Good heavens!  These are all Toronto-based movie theatres!

King Kong looks much better in the newspaper ads than he did in the poster advertising to be sure.  No wonder I wanted to see this movie so badly!

I really wouldn't have expected Universal to release the Japanese version of KING KONG VS GODZILLA (1962) but surely Toho and various online Daikaiju media news services are well aware of the tremendous North American interest in it and some movement would be made to influence its stateside release.

It would have been (very) nice if some Godzilla experts could have been recruited to provide an audio commentary on the film...this is more in keeping with what practically could have been done.

For me the U.S. version gets off to a bad start with the main opening titles underscored by the lackluster theme music taken from the Universal Pictures produced THE GOLDEN HORDE (1951).

But as I (repeatedly) said  before the Godzilla design in this film is awesomely superb (far and away outclassing the King Kong) and one of the finest incarnations in the early classic series.

Another weak aspect of this sensational confrontation (and it's not Universal's fault) is the poor rear projection screen work of the natives frantically chucking their spears at the marauding giant octopus with the spears' shadows clearly seen on the projection screen completely destroying the intended illusion. 

I am assuming that Kraken will (further) get around to releasing in bluray GODZILLA VS THE SEA MONSTER (1966), SON OF GODZILLA (1967) and GODZILLA VS MECHAGODZILLA (1974) sometime later in the year.

(Once again) thanks to everyone for the great information and your tremendous enthusiasm!

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

#71 of 167 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,692 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 11:29 AM

Okay, question for you guys -

So I have the old Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Gojira release from a couple of years back, this one: Gojira-1956-FS-Front-Cover-7196.jpg

So Criterion has all their DVDs and Blu Rays on sale at 50% off until tomorrow and I have to admit that I'm tempted. How's the difference between the two? Are we losing extras? Gaining anything significant? Is it worth throwing 15 bucks at the new version?

#72 of 167 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,692 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 11:47 AM

"I received word today from Section23 that the upcoming Kraken Releasing DVD/BD will NOT contain the original American dubs. Toho was implied (but not outright stated) to be the reason why. Unfortunate news." (SOURCE)

God damnit, Toho! Would you stop with the bullshit shenanigans like this. Withholding extras, denying dubs and other uncool stuff really just pisses the fans off. Just let them put together really nice, comprehensive packages of your flicks!

So I wonder how Classic Media was able to include both versions in their releases? Whos ring did they kiss that Kraken did not?

#73 of 167 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 08:16 AM

gojira.jpg

Opinions may vary but the Criterion bluray version is considered the better (less visible wear-and-tear, more complete image scope and better sound quality) so it is really up to you to decide whether it is worth investing the additional money for it. I may have purchased mine cheaper but I would have to look up the purchase records to confirm this.

I didn't realize that GODZILLA VS THE SEA MONSTER (1966) was coming out on bluray by Kraken!

Anyway I placed my advance order putting my money where my mouth is.

Now when is the bluray version of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS (1968) coming out again?!

Happy collecting.

Jeff T.

#74 of 167 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,419 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 11:57 AM

I'm glad I still have my DVD's of these.

God damnit, Toho! Would you stop with the bullshit shenanigans like this. Withholding extras, denying dubs and other uncool stuff really just pisses the fans off. Just let them put together really nice, comprehensive packages of your flicks!

So I wonder how Classic Media was able to include both versions in their releases? Whos ring did they kiss that Kraken did not?

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#75 of 167 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted February 28 2014 - 02:51 PM

" How's the difference between the two? Are we losing extras? Gaining anything significant?"

http://www.dvdbeaver..._dvd_review.htm

If you're a fan of the original G, Criterion is a must have.

#76 of 167 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 07:01 AM

Not for nothing, but Toho is notoriously difficult to work with, however they can be worked with.  The bottom line here is that Kraken isn't willing to put forth the effort so you get the bare-bones, pre-approved Toho release which is just a rehash of their transfer with the international dub thrown in.  These will simply be the Sony DVDs with higher resolution.  I'm not sure what complaining about Toho gets you when it's Kraken who won't be bothered.  If Kraken wanted to include Titra dubs and other cool extras, they could have.  It just would have taken more time and cost more money.  Presumably too much of both for a company that just wants to cash in on the coming Godzilla wave.

#77 of 167 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts

Posted March 04 2014 - 05:49 AM

Mothra7.jpg

Oh my G-O-D-Z-I-L-L-A!

On May 06th, 2014 Sony Home Entertainment plans to release on bluray three Heisei (1984-1995) and Millennium (1999-2013) Era(s) megablockbuster doublebills:

GODZILLA VS MECHAGODZILLA (1990)/GODZILLA VS MECHAGODZILLA II (1993)

GODZILLA VS DESTROYAH (1995)/GODZILLA VS MEGAGUIRUS (2000)

and GODZILLA VS KING GHIDORAH (1991)/GODZILLA VS MOTHRA (1992).

Coming out the same month as the three Kraken bluray releases this is really going to prove costly for some.

Nothing like celebrating the 60th anniversary in a big way!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TXXFA-FzuKY

Jeff T.

#78 of 167 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 420 posts

Posted March 04 2014 - 08:14 AM

Its actually four sets -  Godzilla Tokyo SOS and FInal Wars are coming also on a blu ray set 

#79 of 167 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 07:18 AM

Mothra7.jpg

Oh my G-O-D-Z-I-L-L-A!

On May 06th, 2014 Sony Home Entertainment plans to release on bluray three Heisei (1984-1995) and Millennium (1999-2013) Era(s) megablockbuster doublebills:

GODZILLA VS MECHAGODZILLA (1990)/GODZILLA VS MECHAGODZILLA II (1993)

GODZILLA VS DESTROYAH (1995)/GODZILLA VS MEGAGUIRUS (2000)

and GODZILLA VS KING GHIDORAH (1991)/GODZILLA VS MOTHRA (1992).

Coming out the same month as the three Kraken bluray releases this is really going to prove costly for some.

Nothing like celebrating the 60th anniversary in a big way!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TXXFA-FzuKY

Jeff T.

GODZILLA  VS. MECHAGODZILLA was 1974, not 1990. (And it was released in the U.S. in 1977 as GODZILLA VS. THE COSMIC MONSTER.) There was no 1990 Godzilla movie. The 1993 entry was actually called GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA also, but with the "II" added for its American release, for reasons that never made sense to me since it had nothing to do with the earlier MechaGodzilla film. Can anyone clarify if the 1974 film is indeed the one being paired with the 1993 film on this release? And where is SPACE GODZILLA (1994)? 

(For the record, I don't remember liking the 1974 film at all. I'd hesitate on springing for that Blu-ray if that's the version contained on it.)

#80 of 167 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,419 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 07:50 AM

Hopefully these blu-rays of the 1990's films are widescreen since the DVD's were not. I would definately upgrade if thats the case.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users