What's new

2002 Hyundai Elantra (1 Viewer)

Berbs

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry berben
This car sits in the college parking lot most of the week. It is an Elantra GT, 1.8 4 cyl. with dual over head cam and 16 valves. 139000 miles. It has been a decent car until recently when the transmission went and got it replaced, and now the engine is tapping, loudly at first then slow and more rythmically as it idles. My son says it gets louder when driving. Mechanics at AAA car service says new engine is needed. Anything I can do to make it last at least a year, or to quiet it down for a while? Without it costing 4 grand (more than its wort:h) for a new engine. :( Thanks in advance.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Drive it till it dies then get another car, maybe try the occasional oil change on the replacement to prevent a recurrence.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I never understand why people open threads like this. There are countless car forums, and a number of Hyundai owner forums, yet someone joins a forum dedicated to home theaters and asks about cars, or their pets, silica, or whatever. I don't get it. But yeah, drive it till it dies. College kids are supposed to drive broken down junk heaps. It's a right of passage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks