Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Tony Scott jumps off of a bridge (RIP)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,964 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted August 19 2012 - 08:54 PM

According to the AP Tony Scott died today when we jumped off a LA County Bridge.  He left his car parked on the bridge with a note inside  He was 68.  Link:

http://entertainment...off-bridge?lite

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,769 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 20 2012 - 05:28 AM

Shocking news for the first day of school. :( He may have been known for style over substance, but when he was on his game, his style had substance. RIP.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,258 posts

Posted August 20 2012 - 06:56 AM

That's very sad. I've had some rough times in my life, but suicide was never even a possibility. Prayers for the family and friends left behind. We may never know why he did this, but he must have been dealing with some really tough things in his life.
Stan

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,049 posts

Posted August 20 2012 - 10:21 AM

It is being reported that he had inoperable brain cancer.

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,170 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted August 20 2012 - 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick_S /t/323128/tony-scott-jumps-off-of-a-bridge-rip#post_3964614

It is being reported that he had inoperable brain cancer.

Yep, they are saying he was told he had "months" and decided not worth it, that's apparently what his note says, at least if sources on the internets can be believed.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1140255

http://abcnews.go.co...34#.UDKDeaPz-ZE
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#6 of 17 ONLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,235 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 20 2012 - 10:53 AM

My cousins specialty is "end of life cancer"... Naturally he doesn't get very many repeat patients. He doesn't have to give that kind of news often, he's just the doctor you get referred to after the other doctor gave the news. That is what my mother succumbed to as well. She had "could have been" operable cancer of the spinal fuse(where the spinal cord meets the brain stem)... Chances of even surviving the surgery were iffy. She said no, spent 3 months in drug induced "lala land"...

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,170 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted August 20 2012 - 07:51 PM

ABC News should be ashamed.   Their "unnamed source" turned out to be bogus, as the wife comes forward and denies that he had cancer, despite ABC's report (which was picked up on by several)   http://www.deadline....ve-brain-cancer     One unnamed source is apparently enough to run a major story on.   WTG ABC.
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#8 of 17 ONLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,235 posts

Posted August 20 2012 - 08:06 PM

Forget who said it...but... "The news was forever changed when it had to start making money..."

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,258 posts

Posted August 20 2012 - 09:30 PM

ABC News should be ashamed.   Their "unnamed source" turned out to be bogus, as the wife comes forward and denies that he had cancer, despite ABC's report (which was picked up on by several)

http://www.deadline....ve-brain-cancer

One unnamed source is apparently enough to run a major story on.   WTG ABC.

That is exactly why I really don't follow "current" news. So much speculation and the network news people chatting back and forth with "it could be this, could be that", whatever. They're just out for ratings and often don't really look into something as thoroughly as they should.

With a lot of news stories, I usually wait several days until things settle down, then you can actually start reading true, accurate accounts of situations.
Stan

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,769 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 21 2012 - 05:24 AM

The really sad thing is that pretty much every online news outlet took the cancer story and ran with it. It's like there are no actual reporters left -- they just regurgitate each other's content.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,922 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted August 21 2012 - 04:06 PM

Even The Telegraph in the UK quoted the cancer story. i've bookmarked a dozen news sites worldwide and like to go compare how a story is covered in different places. I'm surprised that jokers haven't planted more stories at ABC if they are that gullible about anonymous sources. Phone hackers can mimic well-known telephone numbers on caller ID, e.g. the DNC headquarters. Imagine calling ABC with a "scoop" that Joe Biden has been diagnosed with dementia and Nancy Pelosi will take his place. Or consider the damage a hostile intelligence service could wreak with phony news stories leaked to gullible press organizations. We laugh at how people were taken in by Orson Wells's martian invasion scare decades ago, but are we really any better off today?
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,769 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 22 2012 - 11:28 AM

Imagine calling ABC with a "scoop" that Joe Biden has been diagnosed with dementia
How would that be a scoop? ;)

#13 of 17 ONLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,235 posts

Posted August 22 2012 - 11:35 AM

I think a dream ticket would be... Biden for president and Akin VP... If we wanted the country lead by "foot in mouth"...

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted August 22 2012 - 11:38 AM

No politics, guys...

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted August 23 2012 - 12:37 PM

Returning to the bogus brain tumour story, the issue is a bit more than the news media being gullible. The simple fact is that almost all newspapers and a lot of TV news organisations are seriously short staffed compared with their heyday. They literally do not have the manpower to check stories out, and therefore have to go with whatever seems even remotely credible for fear of being scooped. We might all think that we'd prefer to buy a newspaper that was accurate rather than first with breaking news, but the simple fact is that in reality, we in the main go for the newspaper with the hottest new stories. And this situation is going to get worse, not better. With the ever-increasing number of personal web pages, Twitter and similar, anyone coming across a news story can be their own news organisation, editor and star reporter rolled into one. It's a frightening thought, but in a few years time, a key source of news could be whatever news reports have gone viral that day. What is more, the genie is well and truly out of the bottle and there is no way that it's going to be pushed back in.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted August 23 2012 - 12:42 PM

Even The Telegraph in the UK quoted the cancer story.
I do hope you don't assume that the UK press is a model of accuracy and probity. We're having a major public enquiry about our press at the moment, and all sorts of cans of worms have been opened. However, I must stress that The Telegraph is usually more reliable than most. I read The Times myself and haven't seen the Torygraph's coverage, but did it actually state that brain cancer was the cause, or did it say something like 'sources close to the investigation have suggested that ...'?

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,258 posts

Posted August 25 2012 - 11:22 AM

I do hope you don't assume that the UK press is a model of accuracy and probity. We're having a major public enquiry about our press at the moment, and all sorts of cans of worms have been opened. However, I must stress that The Telegraph is usually more reliable than most. I read The Times myself and haven't seen the Torygraph's coverage, but did it actually state that brain cancer was the cause, or did it say something like 'sources close to the investigation have suggested that ...'?
Not to insult the mainstream UK newspapers, they come off as pretty legitimate. But in the US we seem to get the worst of the worst, even "The Graham Norton Show" on BBC America makes fun of the British papers. Not to say we don't have our share of crappy "papers" like The Enquirer, The Star and others. The sad part is that a lot of people must be purchasing this garbage for them to stay in business. They provide a good laugh in the check-out line at grocery stores and I refuse to support them, but it's amazing how many people must actually be buying them.
Stan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users