What's new

Tony Scott jumps off of a bridge (RIP) (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Shocking news for the first day of school. :( He may have been known for style over substance, but when he was on his game, his style had substance. RIP.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
That's very sad. I've had some rough times in my life, but suicide was never even a possibility.
Prayers for the family and friends left behind. We may never know why he did this, but he must have been dealing with some really tough things in his life.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Patrick_S /t/323128/tony-scott-jumps-off-of-a-bridge-rip#post_3964614
It is being reported that he had inoperable brain cancer.

Yep, they are saying he was told he had "months" and decided not worth it, that's apparently what his note says, at least if sources on the internets can be believed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/tony-scott-battle-inoperable-brain-cancer-driven-top-gun-crimson-tide-director-suicide-leap-los-angeles-bridge-article-1.1140255
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/top-gun-director-tony-scott-inoprable-brain-cancer/story?id=17039434#.UDKDeaPz-ZE

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My cousins specialty is "end of life cancer"...
Naturally he doesn't get very many repeat patients.
He doesn't have to give that kind of news often, he's just the doctor you get referred to after the other doctor gave the news.
That is what my mother succumbed to as well. She had "could have been" operable cancer of the spinal fuse(where the spinal cord meets the brain stem)...
Chances of even surviving the surgery were iffy. She said no, spent 3 months in drug induced "lala land"...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
ABC News should be ashamed. Their "unnamed source" turned out to be bogus, as the wife comes forward and denies that he had cancer, despite ABC's report (which was picked up on by several)

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/tony-scott-did-not-have-brain-cancer

One unnamed source is apparently enough to run a major story on. WTG ABC.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
ABC News should be ashamed.   Their "unnamed source" turned out to be bogus, as the wife comes forward and denies that he had cancer, despite ABC's report (which was picked up on by several)
http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/tony-scott-did-not-have-brain-cancer
One unnamed source is apparently enough to run a major story on.   WTG ABC.
That is exactly why I really don't follow "current" news. So much speculation and the network news people chatting back and forth with "it could be this, could be that", whatever. They're just out for ratings and often don't really look into something as thoroughly as they should.
With a lot of news stories, I usually wait several days until things settle down, then you can actually start reading true, accurate accounts of situations.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The really sad thing is that pretty much every online news outlet took the cancer story and ran with it. It's like there are no actual reporters left -- they just regurgitate each other's content.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Even The Telegraph in the UK quoted the cancer story. i've bookmarked a dozen news sites worldwide and like to go compare how a story is covered in different places.
I'm surprised that jokers haven't planted more stories at ABC if they are that gullible about anonymous sources. Phone hackers can mimic well-known telephone numbers on caller ID, e.g. the DNC headquarters. Imagine calling ABC with a "scoop" that Joe Biden has been diagnosed with dementia and Nancy Pelosi will take his place. Or consider the damage a hostile intelligence service could wreak with phony news stories leaked to gullible press organizations. We laugh at how people were taken in by Orson Wells's martian invasion scare decades ago, but are we really any better off today?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Returning to the bogus brain tumour story, the issue is a bit more than the news media being gullible. The simple fact is that almost all newspapers and a lot of TV news organisations are seriously short staffed compared with their heyday. They literally do not have the manpower to check stories out, and therefore have to go with whatever seems even remotely credible for fear of being scooped. We might all think that we'd prefer to buy a newspaper that was accurate rather than first with breaking news, but the simple fact is that in reality, we in the main go for the newspaper with the hottest new stories. And this situation is going to get worse, not better. With the ever-increasing number of personal web pages, Twitter and similar, anyone coming across a news story can be their own news organisation, editor and star reporter rolled into one. It's a frightening thought, but in a few years time, a key source of news could be whatever news reports have gone viral that day. What is more, the genie is well and truly out of the bottle and there is no way that it's going to be pushed back in.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Even The Telegraph in the UK quoted the cancer story.
I do hope you don't assume that the UK press is a model of accuracy and probity. We're having a major public enquiry about our press at the moment, and all sorts of cans of worms have been opened. However, I must stress that The Telegraph is usually more reliable than most. I read The Times myself and haven't seen the Torygraph's coverage, but did it actually state that brain cancer was the cause, or did it say something like 'sources close to the investigation have suggested that ...'?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
andrew markworthy said:
I do hope you don't assume that the UK press is a model of accuracy and probity. We're having a major public enquiry about our press at the moment, and all sorts of cans of worms have been opened. However, I must stress that The Telegraph is usually more reliable than most. I read The Times myself and haven't seen the Torygraph's coverage, but did it actually state that brain cancer was the cause, or did it say something like 'sources close to the investigation have suggested that ...'?
Not to insult the mainstream UK newspapers, they come off as pretty legitimate.
But in the US we seem to get the worst of the worst, even "The Graham Norton Show" on BBC America makes fun of the British papers. Not to say we don't have our share of crappy "papers" like The Enquirer, The Star and others.
The sad part is that a lot of people must be purchasing this garbage for them to stay in business. They provide a good laugh in the check-out line at grocery stores and I refuse to support them, but it's amazing how many people must actually be buying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks