Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: The Postman Always Rings Twice 1946 and 1981 (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,778 posts

Posted July 27 2012 - 12:13 PM

Posted Image

http://www.amazon.co...s twice blu-ray

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,231 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 27 2012 - 12:27 PM

For catalog titles, this should of been a double feature. I'll wait for a dirt cheap sale.

#3 of 10 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,421 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 27 2012 - 12:37 PM

Agree.  A double sawbuck each for one of those marriage-made-in-heaven home video double features?     And who wants to bet it becomes one later?     (I just recently noticed the two Kill Bill movies in one case ... after how many years?)

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,231 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 27 2012 - 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/322635/whv-announcement-the-postman-always-rings-twice-1946-and-1981-blu-ray#post_3954811 (I just recently noticed the two Kill Bill movies in one case ... after how many years?)
  In Canada Kill Bill is released though Alliance releasing, and has been available for at least 4 years on Bluray in that 2 pack. I picked it up for $12 CDN on a "Two for $24" sale. I don't expect Postman to debut at that price of course, but it should still be a double feature. Especially with the studios bemoaning the state of classic/cataloge sales. How many Joe Average consumers are going to leave the original version on the shelves when buying the Nicholson one isn't a sure thing? Stick them in one case and now there's added value to the consumer, less space on the store shelves (since that's another complaint with catalogue titles, they take up too much space) and a better chance for Warner to earn what was only ever going to be a modest profit.   (unless there's another remake to tie this into that I don;t know about...)

#5 of 10 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,703 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 27 2012 - 01:01 PM

Actually, I only have interest in the 1946 version.  I never liked the Nicholson film.             Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,806 posts

Posted July 27 2012 - 01:23 PM

I don't mind really, since these will probably not take long to get down to $10 each. Sure, it would be cheaper and more convenient to someone like me who wants them both as a double feature, but it also makes sense to have them available separately.

Also interesting regarding to cover art. The 1981 feature uses the original poster art, but the 1946 feature has an original design/screenshot that is fairly close to the one original poster below minus Garfield's hand and the inclusion of Turner's right arm along with a slightly different Garfield pose.

Posted Image

#7 of 10 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted July 27 2012 - 05:28 PM

Im getting the original, and the cover art for the Blu Ray version rocks !

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,778 posts

Posted July 29 2012 - 11:13 AM

Now available for preorder

http://www.amazon.co...s twice blu-ray

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 641 posts

Posted July 30 2012 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for providing the link. At $13.99, I immediately pre-ordered the original version; hopefully it will look great in blu-ray format.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,458 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 06 2013 - 02:15 PM

The long delayed 1981 version looks to be back on schedule for a 9/3/13 release according to some online retailers.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users