What's new

Windows 8 Pro upgrade set for $39.99, Media Center too. Will you upgrade? (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
At that price, it'll be interesting to see if most of the PC builders -- Dell, HP, Acer, etc. -- ship with Win8 Pro as default rather than the basic Win8. From what I can tell, the basic Windows 8 is not equivalent to Win7 Home Premium, with the lack of Media Center built in being one of the more important deficiencies.
Certainly I would imagine that any PC shipped with a TV tuner built-in will ship with Win8 Pro with Media Center pre-installed by the builder.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
I'm sure that it had nothing to do with the fact that Apple's latest (and next) upgrade was $29 (and 19?) and available only by download. Since I will probably be able to get it from the office for nothing, I probably upgrade :)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
It seems obvious why Microsoft is doing this.
The early reviews of Windows 8 seem to indicate that there's nothing particularly compelling for traditional (legacy?) "Windows Desktop with Mouse/Touchpad interface" users. In fact, since the "traditional" Windows Desktop doesn't include the "Start" button, it could even be considered a step back!
The real innovative portion of Windows 8 is all wrapped-up in the "Metro" interface. And the faster Microsoft can get penetration for that interlace, the faster they'll be able to persuade developers to fully support it. All apps designed for the native Windows 8 Metro interface will run without modification on Windows RT on ARM-based tablets -- like Microsoft's own "Surface" RT tablet. So Microsoft needs as much penetration of Windows 8 as possible in both the enterprise and home; and they need that penetration to be as rapid as possible.
So what they're dong here is both transparent and logical.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
That's a nice upgrade price so I'll be upgrading sooner rather then later.
Ok Kevin I have a question concerning your WMC, which by the way sounds great system.
How are you getting satellite support? Are there turner cards for satellite providers?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Those of us in the subscription plans will get it in 3 weeks or so while the rest of ya have to wait till October!
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/9/3146476/windows-8-will-rtm-august-release-late-october

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks