Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Got my test results back today. I am officially on the draft board

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,890 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted May 24 2012 - 04:20 PM

Ok so technically I'm now a board member of the Selective Service System.  It took about four months after they received my application and the initial interview for my paperwork to meander between my regional office, the governors office and Washington DC so I could get the training materials.  A couple of hours reading, watching an out of sync video and then passing the test make it official.

In the unlikely event that Congress institutes the draft, I will be one of up to 5 people to handle appeals from people in my area who have been drafted and are conscientious objectors, feel their induction will cause a hardship on their dependents, etc.

It was an interesting process to go through.  You can't join if you have been in the military, police force, and you have to live in the area your board covers, be a citizen and over 18.

If anyone is interested in not only serving their country with a minimal time commitment but having an interesting story to tell and item to put on their resume feel free to check it out and apply if interested: http://www.sss.gov/BM.htm

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,515 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 03:06 AM

So what motivated you to do that?

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,592 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted May 25 2012 - 03:12 AM

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,866 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted May 25 2012 - 03:39 AM

Yeah, this. Our current armed forces make a big deal about being an all-volunteer force and I have personally never had to face down the possibility of a draft like my father did so it's been something I have mixed feelings on... But you are the first I have ever heard pursuing being on the board, that's interesting!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,890 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by ChristopherG 

I wanted to do something "civic".  Someday I would like to run for town council (I live in a small city), but I currently don't have the time between my family, day job and HTF to take on something like that, so I was looking to start with a smaller commitment.  Assuming Congress doesn't institute a draft (which I don't see them doing....ever....it will be a 2 to 3 hour commitment a year.

Yeah, this. Our current armed forces make a big deal about being an all-volunteer force and I have personally never had to face down the possibility of a draft like my father did so it's been something I have mixed feelings on... But you are the first I have ever heard pursuing being on the board, that's interesting!

I'm in the same boat.  My aunt told me a story recently where the night before my dads screening appointment my grandfather exposed him to just about everything he was allergic to so he would fail the medical portion....which he did, ironically for a bad back.  I have several family members who are in the military, but I also understand someone who would object to joining if drafted based on their beliefs, and/or the family hardships it could cause if they were, so I think its important that they be given a fair hearing.  Also for what its worth, its been so long since there was a draft and so many people (including me) think that it won't happen that a lot of the draft boards are understaffed.  Mine covers only 5 or 6 zip codes and there are still 2 openings. so they need people.  Once your are in its a 20 year term as long as you stay current with the 1-2 hours of annual refresher training and don't move out of the district.  Plus its an interesting conversation starter.

Someday time permitting I will run for city council or state house: A chicken in every pot, a Blu-ray for every TV!  Our state rep drives me nuts and I would love to see her replaced by ANYONE I don't care which party.  We can't do any worse.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, MS

Posted May 25 2012 - 05:29 AM

Ok so technically I'm now a board member of the Selective Service System.  It took about four months after they received my application and the initial interview for my paperwork to meander between my regional office, the governors office and Washington DC so I could get the training materials.  A couple of hours reading, watching an out of sync video and then passing the test make it official. 

Only a HTF member would have noticed that! :laugh:

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,326 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted May 25 2012 - 08:55 AM

the draft will happen again, it is just a matter of when. Is your bomb shelter ready ? :-)

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,890 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen 

Is your bomb shelter ready ?

:-)

Canada? Posted Image

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,645 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 05:22 PM

Canada? :)

Wrong choice. We are now almost as quick to get involved in someone's useless war as your country is.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,198 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 10:49 PM

I love this thread! It's mildly controversial and is teetering on political - feels like a throwback to the good old days! While I don't have much of an opinion (other than doing anything civic minded is a good thing and better than 98% of the rest of us), I do think you should change your icon to Henry Potter. HTF toss-up question: who are some other major movie characters who were draft board members?

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,890 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Al.Anderson 
 I do think you should change your icon to Henry Potter.

HTF toss-up question: who are some other major movie characters who were draft board members?

I had forgotton all about him and his association with the draft board.  While it would be fun, I don't think I can give up my million plus high score from Astro Blasters at Disneyland.  I worked damn hard for that Posted Image

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,326 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted May 28 2012 - 12:49 AM

Canada!! totally. However, we would not be able to make the west coast and would be forced to the maritime provinces. We would be in the path of radioactive fall out. A much better option would be bunkering down in the mountains of rural Maine. You are welcome to join us if you can make it here!! Save up your gold / silver, as the paper dollar will be worthless!

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,107 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 28 2012 - 12:26 PM

Pretty interesting, Adam. Were it needed, that would be a heavy task, to judge whether individuals would be exempted from war.

I look forward to your presidential bid; I expect an OAR-only plank in the platform! :)

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,198 posts

Posted May 28 2012 - 11:00 PM

I had forgotton all about him and his association with the draft board.  While it would be fun, I don't think I can give up my million plus high score from Astro Blasters at Disneyland.  I worked damn hard for that :laugh:

I didn't realize the significance. That record is doubly cool since it has the #1 *and* goes over the critical 1 million threshold. Definitely keep that one!

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,620 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 28 2012 - 11:44 PM

I look forward to your presidential bid; I expect an OAR-only plank in the platform! :)

I would prefer that he become a congressman and drag Universal Studios in front of a hearing for their shoddy work on BD transfers and disc authoring. :laugh:

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,890 posts

Posted May 30 2012 - 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF 

I look forward to your presidential bid; I expect an OAR-only plank in the platform! Posted Image

I would prefer that he become a congressman and drag Universal Studios in front of a hearing for their shoddy work on BD transfers and disc authoring. Posted Image
We would need a catchy name for those hearings.  Any suggestions?

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,866 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted May 31 2012 - 03:04 AM

Oversharpeninggate

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#18 of 18 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,827 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 31 2012 - 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Posten 

Oversharpeninggate

C'mon, Sam.  You think that's more catchy than:

A Congressional Review of the practices of Universal Studios Home Entertainment in relation to the high-definition transfer of their library of films onto Blu-ray Disc Technology for the purposes of disclosure and collecting information and analyzing data for the potential creation of controls and regulations to provide assurance of standards and practices leading to properly authored discs for maximized home viewing conditions. 

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

Forum Nav Content I Follow