What's new

Got my test results back today. I am officially on the draft board (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Ok so technically I'm now a board member of the Selective Service System. It took about four months after they received my application and the initial interview for my paperwork to meander between my regional office, the governors office and Washington DC so I could get the training materials. A couple of hours reading, watching an out of sync video and then passing the test make it official.

In the unlikely event that Congress institutes the draft, I will be one of up to 5 people to handle appeals from people in my area who have been drafted and are conscientious objectors, feel their induction will cause a hardship on their dependents, etc.

It was an interesting process to go through. You can't join if you have been in the military, police force, and you have to live in the area your board covers, be a citizen and over 18.

If anyone is interested in not only serving their country with a minimal time commitment but having an interesting story to tell and item to put on their resume feel free to check it out and apply if interested: http://www.sss.gov/BM.htm

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
ChristopherG said:
So what motivated you to do that?
Yeah, this. Our current armed forces make a big deal about being an all-volunteer force and I have personally never had to face down the possibility of a draft like my father did so it's been something I have mixed feelings on... But you are the first I have ever heard pursuing being on the board, that's interesting!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
ChristopherG said:
Yeah, this. Our current armed forces make a big deal about being an all-volunteer force and I have personally never had to face down the possibility of a draft like my father did so it's been something I have mixed feelings on... But you are the first I have ever heard pursuing being on the board, that's interesting!
I'm in the same boat. My aunt told me a story recently where the night before my dads screening appointment my grandfather exposed him to just about everything he was allergic to so he would fail the medical portion....which he did, ironically for a bad back. I have several family members who are in the military, but I also understand someone who would object to joining if drafted based on their beliefs, and/or the family hardships it could cause if they were, so I think its important that they be given a fair hearing. Also for what its worth, its been so long since there was a draft and so many people (including me) think that it won't happen that a lot of the draft boards are understaffed. Mine covers only 5 or 6 zip codes and there are still 2 openings. so they need people. Once your are in its a 20 year term as long as you stay current with the 1-2 hours of annual refresher training and don't move out of the district. Plus its an interesting conversation starter.

Someday time permitting I will run for city council or state house: A chicken in every pot, a Blu-ray for every TV! Our state rep drives me nuts and I would love to see her replaced by ANYONE I don't care which party. We can't do any worse.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Adam Gregorich said:
Ok so technically I'm now a board member of the Selective Service System.  It took about four months after they received my application and the initial interview for my paperwork to meander between my regional office, the governors office and Washington DC so I could get the training materials.  A couple of hours reading, watching an out of sync video and then passing the test make it official. 
Only a HTF member would have noticed that! :laugh:

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the draft will happen again, it is just a matter of when.
Is your bomb shelter ready ?
:)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I love this thread! It's mildly controversial and is teetering on political - feels like a throwback to the good old days!
While I don't have much of an opinion (other than doing anything civic minded is a good thing and better than 98% of the rest of us), I do think you should change your icon to Henry Potter.
HTF toss-up question: who are some other major movie characters who were draft board members?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Al.Anderson /t/320962/got-my-test-results-back-today-i-am-officially-on-the-draft-board#post_3929855
I do think you should change your icon to Henry Potter.
HTF toss-up question: who are some other major movie characters who were draft board members?
I had forgotton all about him and his association with the draft board. While it would be fun, I don't think I can give up my million plus high score from Astro Blasters at Disneyland. I worked damn hard for that

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Canada!! totally.
However, we would not be able to make the west coast and would be forced to the maritime provinces. We would be in the path of radioactive fall out.
A much better option would be bunkering down in the mountains of rural Maine. You are welcome to join us if you can make it here!!
Save up your gold / silver, as the paper dollar will be worthless!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Pretty interesting, Adam. Were it needed, that would be a heavy task, to judge whether individuals would be exempted from war.

I look forward to your presidential bid; I expect an OAR-only plank in the platform! :)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Adam Gregorich said:
I had forgotton all about him and his association with the draft board.  While it would be fun, I don't think I can give up my million plus high score from Astro Blasters at Disneyland.  I worked damn hard for that :laugh:
I didn't realize the significance. That record is doubly cool since it has the #1 *and* goes over the critical 1 million threshold. Definitely keep that one!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
DaveF said:
I look forward to your presidential bid; I expect an OAR-only plank in the platform! :)
I would prefer that he become a congressman and drag Universal Studios in front of a hearing for their shoddy work on BD transfers and disc authoring. :laugh:

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Scott Merryfield said:
I would prefer that he become a congressman and drag Universal Studios in front of a hearing for their shoddy work on BD transfers and disc authoring.
We would need a catchy name for those hearings. Any suggestions?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/320962/got-my-test-results-back-today-i-am-officially-on-the-draft-board#post_3932109
Oversharpeninggate

C'mon, Sam. You think that's more catchy than:

A Congressional Review of the practices of Universal Studios Home Entertainment in relation to the high-definition transfer of their library of films onto Blu-ray Disc Technology for the purposes of disclosure and collecting information and analyzing data for the potential creation of controls and regulations to provide assurance of standards and practices leading to properly authored discs for maximized home viewing conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks