Jump to content

Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Need a Power Adapter Plug

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell


  • 5,388 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 13 1998
  • Real Name:Johnny Angell
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted May 08 2012 - 10:10 AM

I've got this Mighty Brite AC Power Adapter which I use for my book light. However, right where the cord joins the plug that plugs into the light, it has frayed and separated. They've made it so the plug can't be repaired. Are these kinds of plugs for sale someplace? I've already tried Radio Shack in town. They had nothing like it. It's kind of hard to google it since I'm not quite sure what it's called.
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Paul D G

Paul D G


  • 1,621 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 24 2001

Posted May 08 2012 - 07:23 PM

They're called AC Adapters and yep, you can buy them. In fact, I'm really surprised Radio Shack didn't have them.

Here's one: http://amzn.com/B0042X8XOG

(not an endorsement of this model, just the first thing my search hit on)

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Steve Berger

Steve Berger

    Supporting Actor

  • 960 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 08 2001

Posted May 09 2012 - 12:14 AM

You can go two ways. You can replace the plug itself. http://www.mcmelectr...lugs/0000000667 or the entire adapter. http://www.mcmelectr...ters/0000000301 The plugs you'll probably have to order unless there is a hardware store with some electronics supplies. Be aware that the plugs are sized to a tenth of a millimeter, both inside and outside diameter as well as length. The "wall-warts" as the adapters are often called are more likely to be found locally, sometimes in switchable output voltages. These need to be sized by voltage and current,

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H


  • 5,655 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 22 1999
  • Real Name:Jay
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted May 09 2012 - 12:39 AM

i think radio shack has them but its hard to get good help these days and perhaps the guy/gal did not understand what the OP needed... I think I have an "archer" AC adaptor that I got from RadioShack many years ago that I was using to power some PC speakers...I'd be very surprised if RS didn't carry them... Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   John Gido

John Gido

    Second Unit

  • 312 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 18 2001

Posted May 09 2012 - 05:49 AM

A few thing to keep in mind when looking for a replacement: 1. The size of the plug that goes into the equipment. 2. The polarity of the plug (positive center vs. negative center). 3. Voltage & amperage of the "wall wart" should match exactly (12V, 200mA, etc.) or as close as possible.
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
-Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."-UnknownMy DVD Collection