Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The 5-Year Engagement - quick review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,958 posts

Posted April 29 2012 - 05:35 PM

I think this film gets off to a somewhat funny start with its cast (Jason Segal, Emily Blunt, Alison Brie, Chris Pratt), but along the way, the film's running time feels like 5 years, and it just went on and on, and the middle section of the film really sags. Segal's writing buddy, Nicholas Stoller directed this film, and his direction is nothing special, but he really gets up close at times, so close you could see the peach fuzz on Emily Blunt's face in one scene due to the lighting and angle of her face. There are bits of comedy that work, but it gets dragged down by many of the other scenes that languish on the screen, and bored this viewer. I give it 2.5 star, or a grade of C+.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,126 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 29 2012 - 06:00 PM

I enjoyed it, except for the third act, which I think went WAY too by the numbers and just didn't work for me.  C+
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,461 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 29 2012 - 06:21 PM

I think I saw the trailer for this movie but other than that, I haven't seen any marketing for it and the movie was more serious than I had expected it to be (not that that's inherently a bad thing but it was a surprise). Jason Segel and Emily Blunt were good but Chris Pratt and Alison Brie stole the movie (to the point that I wish the movie had been about their characters). Overall, there's some funny stuff and I enjoyed it but like others, I thought it was too long.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,304 posts

Posted April 30 2012 - 03:49 AM

Saw this Friday and thought it was AWFUL.  Far too long, far too contrived, far too one-dimensional, far too lacking in nuance and realism.   I've never come as close to walking out on a movie - if I'd not been there with a friend, I would've. Unrelentingly stupid and charmless - and given that I like most of the people who're in it, that's a real accomplishment.   I'd give it an "F" - terrible, pointless movie...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users