Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Found my old cell phone, anything I can do with the SIM card now?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,629 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted March 16 2012 - 12:53 AM

I lost my phone in mid novemeber, apparently outside in my front yard. And last week managed to find it. It's an old Motorola Razr V3. Well, goooooooollllyyyy, it still works, survived the Berkshire "winter" and wondering what to do with it. I grabbed the contacts off the sim card but since I got a new phone with the same provider (AT&T), and a new contract, wondering what to do with the RAZR since it still works. There is no way to activate my extra SIM now I presume unless I get another contract? I just had to charge the battery and it is like good as new! jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#2 of 6 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,600 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 17 2012 - 02:12 PM

Since they aren't subsidizing the phone they may let you activate it w/o a contract if you wanted to have a second line or family plan.  If you don't want to there are a lot of good organizations that take cell phone donations.

#3 of 6 Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,629 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted March 18 2012 - 10:37 AM

Since I can make emergency phone calls, I'm thinking of just using it when I'm bike commuting, I may mosey over to the AT&T store to see my options too.. Jay

#4 of 6 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,547 posts

Posted March 27 2012 - 06:44 AM

The SIM card will probably be of a different number than you're using now?

Our provider issues official copy-SIM-cards. Both, my wife and I have one of our "master" SIM-cards and use those two in our old cell-phones. You can never have both on at the same time, but the old ones are useful to carry on vacations (where you might lose them), or like you suggested, while sporting or biking.

If your old card is really the same (probably not, because it must have the same MAC-address) you could use it. Or else you could inquire if your provider does the same our does.

It's handy, because you don't need to take your SIM out of one phone (possibly removing the battery) and put it in the other one.

(Provider companies don't like this, so it's not widely advertised, because you won't take a second contract using this method.)

Cees

#5 of 6 michelleE

michelleE

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 04:22 PM

Since you already have a new one, maybe you can consider trading your old phone. A recent study discovered that U.S. consumers are looking at billions in trade-in value on their outdated cellular devices. Those outdated phones are worth cash. Plus, selling them keeps them out of the environment.

#6 of 6 Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,629 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted February 25 2013 - 10:51 PM

Well, old thread alert, the old phone still works but the sim card is deactivated so I still have it. In fact, I even have my even older Motorola V-180 that doesn't even have a camera on it. That one still works so I have all three. Never know when one phone goes under, I can always just regress into ancient history... :-) Otherwise, yeah, I would definitely donate the cell phone to charity if I had no use for it. Jay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users