What's new

new HTPC build help (1 Viewer)

cippu

Auditioning
Real Name
Chad
Hi All, Just looking for any suggestions/criticism/feedback on a HTPC build Im looking to do. Appreciate any help. Requirements: - MUST play 1080p movies no problem - wont be used for gaming, just movies - Quiet as possible, while trying to keep it budget as much as possible - looking to spend between 400-500euro (the less the better, can maybe tweak the parts like processor once have decided on some, to try make much cheaper) - at moment coming in little over 500 with below kit. - optical drive / wireless card / tuner etc not really needed (already have bluray player too) Heres what Ive been looking at so far. Again, only started, so below is just a starting point. CASE: - looking for cases with good airflow and 120mm fans which should be quieter, but at same time conscious of size of case, as trying to keep small as can get with other components fitting okay of course. SilverStone Case GD05B (Black) Or may have to upgrade to something like below if above is too small for parts: SilverStone Case GD06B MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P8H67-M EVO Micro ATX LGA 1155 PROCESSOR: - processor needs to have integrated graphics chip capable of 1080p playback and low heat output, so core i3 seems perfect. But may end up going with AMD processor to try save money. Would love to hear suggestions on any that would be a cheaper and yet still capapable replacement? Intel Core i3-2100 Processor 3.1GHz 3 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 STORAGE: - would like a 2TB drive, and one is loads to start out with, can add a 2nd if case allows at later stage. No need for SSD either. Seagate below I was looking at, though from reading up on it, alot of people recommend Samsung F4 as being very reliable and quiet? And of course WD get loads of recommends. Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green SATA-600 64MB 5900RPM 3.5" PSU: - Havent spent too much time yet looking at these though I know its one of most important parts. Was thinking no point in trying to get budget here, and just go for good make like corsair or antec. Corsair 430 Watt CX430 V2 Builder Series 80 RAM Kingston ValueRAM 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL7 Appreciate any suggestions and feedback!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Looks good; since you're international, CableCard/etc. is out. But are you trying for any tuning / DVR capabilities?

cippu

Auditioning
Real Name
Chad
No just really for playing movies. Not looking at any recording functions or tuning or DVR. Would there be a big difference in noise levels between 7200rpm HDD and say 5400 or 5900 one? Opinions seem to vary, but its something I dont really know about?

cippu

Auditioning
Real Name
Chad
No just really for playing movies. Not looking at any recording functions or tuning or DVR. Would there be a big difference in noise levels between 7200rpm HDD and say 5400 or 5900 one? Opinions seem to vary, but its something I dont really know about?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks