What's new

Free easy Web development tool? (1 Viewer)

CRyan

Screenwriter
I have been using FrontPage for years because it was simple to use - Created a few personal web pages with it and also ebay auctions. I just need something easy to convert stuff into simple HTML. Any recomendations? As a side question, what are the most popular paid tools these days for real web development? Just curious as I have no need for it. Thanks for any help.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Dreamweaver is one that a lot of people I know use. I just use text pad. Unless you are using widgets (or whatever they where called) it is already in html. If you where using the special items I think you have to build the code from scratch.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, dreamweaver isn't free :)

Notepad certainly works. While not Free, CoffeeCup is a cheap HTML compliant writer.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
He also asked for what popular paid tool people are using...

Originally Posted by mattCR

Well, dreamweaver isn't free :)

Notepad certainly works. While not Free, CoffeeCup is a cheap HTML compliant writer.

/t/318086/free-easy-web-development-tool#post_3892002

CRyan

Screenwriter
OH I certainly need something that is WYSIWYG. While I imagine almost anyone can write some HTML these days, I would not have a clue as to how to create a table or anything like that. FrontPage basically allowed me to do stuff in Word, copy it over and then view the HTML. Easy enough. I would then do the publishing manually.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Do you really need to work with HTML only? Most hosting companies' plans are quite affordable even with SQL database and PHP support included. With those features supported, you could use a simple and easy-to-learn publishing platform such as WordPress, Joomla!, or Drupal (all free). Each of those has a number of free, customisable themes (skins) available that you can use as a basis and further refine if required.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I agree with Marko. Wordpress for example is very powerful all by itself, but with the plug ins, widgets, premium themes, free themes available to use with it, you can do just about anything with relative ease. The learning curve is mild and there is tons of documentation and help available if needed, or if you want to learn advanced features.

soitjes

Grip
Real Name
Walter
+1 for Wordpress. If you insist on using a client software (I suppose mainly because you need to work offline as well) I can recommend NetObjects Fusion, which comes in a free version (and is surprisingly rich in features). Soitjes.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
dmiller68 said:
If you have word I believe it still exports to HTML. 
Microsoft Word creates the most bastardized version of html imaginable. Do not use it! I agree with the above, install Wordpress (which is free, and which some hosting services like GoDaddy make available as a simple "1 click" process to install), and then add into Wordpress an already-designed theme, such as the many $35 themes at Themeforest: http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress If you absolutely must write html, use Dreamweaver. You can find older versions of Dreamweaver on ebay for cheap. You don't need the latest and most expensive version, but by the same token you don't want an ancient one either since a lot has changed. It is WYSIWYG, but you'll still need plenty of free time to develop your skills.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I agree one hundred percent however most people are looking to create a web page not HTML art. Who cares what the code looks like unless it is a high speed site. If all you are creating is eBay pages etc it should work fine for that. I would never use it for my sites but I know several people that use it for quick dirty stuff.
Originally Posted by Will_B

Microsoft Word creates the most bastardized version of HTML imaginable.
/t/318086/free-easy-web-development-tool#post_3894108

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
If you have Word, you can save as HTML or filtered HTML which removes all the MS Office tags. I recommend the filtered version.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I have 18 years of web development experience. I agree with others who say use wordpress. Even I use it for clients who are just looking for something simple to manage a site or have a small budget. You can paste in word documents into the wysiwyg editor and it'll clean up the craptml.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks