Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Fix Rotel RSX-1057 or buy new

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Brutiger

Brutiger

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 06:48 AM

I have an RSX-1057 that as a bad digital board or power supply. I'm being told it will cost around $350-$400 to get it fixed. Should I get it fixed or just buy a new receiver. I would probably not buy Rotel again, because this one is only 5.5 years old, 6 months out of warranty. Rotel is not willing to do anything but fix out of warranty.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,732 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 18 2012 - 03:11 PM

5 1/2 years is an eternity in the world of HT receivers. The 1057 is a 5.1 receiver with only 2 hdmi inputs (version 1.1). No room correction, no TrueHD or Master Audio decoding. But you would have to spend a lot to get the same quality of a Rotel. Maybe Cambridge Audio or NAD? Marantz (6006)? H/K (7550HD)? Or maybe a good used receiver. I recently picked up a 2 year old (but good as new) Pioneer Elite SC-27 for $600 shipped off Audiogon and it's fantastic! Does everything I need it to do. I'd download a couple of receivers owners manuals to see if a new receiver would be worth the cost. But my guess is it would be. They've come a long way in 5 1/2 years. Not so much in souns quality (room correction not withstanding) but in features, decoding and compatability.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.