-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Turning the spotlight on....Fright Night on Blu-ray (1985 Twilight Time)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#1 of 81 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,279 posts

Posted December 05 2011 - 11:33 AM

http://static.hometh...um.com/imgrepo/

While I understand the current problems facing the studios in releasing catalog product to the marketplace, I am kind of scratching my head as to why Sony abandoned their plans to release Fright Night on their own and instead license it to Twilight Time.  After all, Fright Night has been one of the most highly requested 80s titles from the Sony catalog.

I think its rather fortunate that the rights to this film fell into the hands of Twilight Time.  I have had the opportunity to view several of their initial Blu-ray and DVD releases and have been completely happy with the quality of their transfers.

Getting my hands on the Blu-ray of the original Fright Night could not have come at a better time.  I just completed my review of the 2011 3D version of the film, and I have to admit, it was a rather difficult watch.

For those of you who have been patiently awaiting the December 13th Blu-ray release from Twilight Time, I have some extremely good news for you.....Fright Night looks INCREDIBLE.

I have seen this film on DVD too many times to know what it has looked like.  If you could have only seen my face during the first several minutes of this film...I couldn't believe what I was watching....

The film no longer has an aged look with dull colors and muddy blacks.  What I saw here was a total transformation where everything about the picture was now brighter, sharper and with colors that look more realistically balanced. Not a speck of dirt nor debris to be seen anywhere to make this transfer look dated.  In fact, it would be very easy to mistake this as a film made within the past few years. It looks THAT amazing.

The Blu-ray DTS-MA track sounds quite pleasing, although I wasn't incredibly won over by its 5.1 separation.  I barely noticed the surrounds were active as the rear channels do very little other than supporting the fantastic score by Brad Fiedel.  And, if you so wish, there is an isolated audio music track that enables you to sit and just enjoy that score.

Fright Night is a true horror classic that hasn't lost an ounce of its appeal 26 years later.  Watching Roddy McDowell in one of the most memorable roles of his career as the Peter Vincent "The Fearless Vampire Killer, " or the smoothness of Chris Sarandon in the starring role,  seems like an entirely new experience thanks to this exceptional Blu-ray transfer.

I think the feedback from our members is going to be incredibly positive.  You have never seen Fright Night look as good as this!

With only a limited 3,000 copies available (once they are gone - they are gone!) I would highly recommend you pick your copy up as soon as possible.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 81 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,594 posts

Posted December 05 2011 - 12:25 PM

Ronald, Thank you so much. you made my day. I have been really nervous about this, as I have already pre-ordered 2 copies(one for me, and my brother) adn spent a hefty sum in doing so. Glad to know it looks great.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#3 of 81 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,279 posts

Posted December 05 2011 - 12:29 PM

Bryan,

Trust me.  It looks better than great.  I think it's going to get a lot
of praise from the HTF membership when comparing it to the old

DVD release.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 81 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,041 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 05 2011 - 12:42 PM

I just can't talk myself into it. Want to see it again but not for the about $40 it would cost me.
facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 81 dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,126 posts

Posted December 05 2011 - 01:31 PM

Well Ron, damn your eyes! Posted Image I told myself I wasn't going to buy this Blu-ray. More than once. IMO $35 is just waaaay too much money to ask for a catalog release like Fright Night. However, it is one of my favorite 80s horror films and your gushing about the transfer pushed me right over the edge. I pre-ordered it a few minutes ago. Thanks ALOT!!! Posted Image

Careful man! There's a beverage here!

#6 of 81 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,849 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted December 05 2011 - 02:16 PM

A glowing endorsement from the HTF is all you need. What are you people waiting for? Get this while you can!

#7 of 81 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,108 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted December 05 2011 - 03:35 PM

It will be sold out before Christmas. Nice Review.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#8 of 81 Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted December 06 2011 - 12:58 AM

Thanks for the review. Already pre-ordered it and looking forward to revisiting it! UPDATE: just shipped!!

#9 of 81 Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted December 06 2011 - 02:21 AM

I see no point in spending $35-40 on this. Twilight Time's license is limited (they couldn't produce any new supplements) and the numbered to 3,000 thing is just a guise to sell as many as possible in the window of time they have to sell it. The license will expire and either Sony will put out a BD themselves or license it to a company where they'll make it available everywhere. Just be patient people. I love this movie as much as the next guy but I'm NOT going to pay the same kind of prices I did when DVD first came out.

#10 of 81 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,128 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 02:58 AM

Were DVDs ever that expensive early on? LDs were $35-$40 and rarely budged.

#11 of 81 Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 04:35 AM

While I am very excited about this release -vhs and dvd never did this justice-I , too am concerned about the price. One could argue that your paying nearly $20 for WB ARCHIVE OR $25 FOR Columbia mod's with little or no extras. In that respect FRIGHT NIGHT seems like a bargain-but Twilight is a true boutique label that unlike WB or Clumbia-never discount their titles. I believe that the Sony titles-when the license lapses-will revert back to Sony where Image (doing a fast and furious catalog film repertoire lately) will distribute the samd blu for $8.99! I'm perplexed by Twilight Time (where is the dvd of the 1983 film of the same name-a little gem)and its selections of films. So far none of them seemed grand enough to be in a boutique window -nor a bargain basement-but they are nothing special. With their original intent of music driven films as their template I'd much rather see Twilight take the troubled Fox films-AT LONG LAST LOVE , ALL THIS AND WORLD WAR 2 , WW AND THE DIXIE DANCEKINGS -that have music in their tapestry-and gussy them up in stunning Blu -i'd gladly pay $35 for movies i would watch a second and third time. As i know i would with AT LONG LAST (6 TIMES and counting on Netflix ), WW AND DIXIE (wore out my vhs from Max long ago) and especially ALL THIS AND WW2 -for the Beatles songs alone. How many times are you really going to watch THE KREMLIN LETTER? As excited as I was to see this on dvd-the excitedness wore off when I thought of shelling out $35 to see George Sanders in a dress. My FMC dub of it will do just fine. I applaud Twilight for their efforts-and I'm sure afright night IS GORGEOUS-but to get a thrill for two hours or less you can get the same sensation from a clean , no frills call girl as you do from an impeccably dressed 2000 an hour one. Once the outside wrapping comes off -and your slip your disc in the slot-the satisfaction is the same for the experience of going from the beginning to the climax of a viewing pleasure -its sometimes escaping with a movie-no matter which format(we have all seen movies in many guises)just to reexperience it. That said-we are all in our own Twilight Time ourselves -all at least at a median age of 40 with families in an economy where $35 is alot to blow.We all, i'm sure, nevr blinked twice when we paid $85 for a much wanted VHS! That-more than anything -was insanity.

#12 of 81 Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 04:37 AM

For those of you who have been patiently awaiting the December 13th Blu-ray release from Twilight Time, I have some extremely good news for you.....Fright Night looks INCREDIBLE.

I think they might be ahead of schedule for the 13th, as I just now received my shipping notification.

#13 of 81 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,128 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 04:57 AM

THE KREMLIN LETTER is only on DVD, at a less heart-stopping price of $20. DANCEKINGS has a major rights issue thwarting its release, and I wouldn't be surprised if WORLD WAR II and LOVE were in the same boat. To each his own, Louis, regarding rewatchability; I recall DANCEKINGS being a run-of-the-mill Burt Reynolds picture and LOVE, well...

#14 of 81 Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 07:35 AM

Yes-the $20 pricetag is very affordable-I should have researched that. But-when their are hundreds of Blus jampacked with extras (the recent PULP FICTION/JACKIE BROWN) for under $20 its a shame that those arent 10 dollars or less. Like anything else-supply and demand accounts for the pricing here. At a pressing of a limited 3000 copies @ $35 a piece -thats $105,000. With licensing fees, and other running expenses-is there a profit on these dvds/blus for Twilight? Movies are a very personal taste. And while I a gree DANCEKINGS is a slight litle movie-it does have its charms and its a movie I remember fondly. With novels I tend to read what I think are challenging books-if you are investing that much time in reading-I-imho-want it to be thoughtprovoking. Movies-and I do love classics and difficult films-I tend to rewatch the more frivolous ones. Music-again a more passive form of entertainment-I let wash over me-but again its a personal choice. I tend to always see the glass half empty an half full. Twilight is doing an outstanding restoration of these films (as is Olive-for nearly half the price). But, like their name-their choices are a little sleepy-for me. I simply cannot get too excited over a series of films that have had numerous play on FMC . Which brings us to the idea of the forbidden fruit. I-in my simple way-may want DANCEKINGS , WW2 and AT LONG LAST-simply because I cannot have them-in anyform (if their were vhs copies-i'd be less indignant about them). If I had them here tomorrow by Twilight Time-I'd be excited because of their unavailability. As i would with ALEX AND THE GYPSY , FIRE SALE ,THE BLUE BIRD , CRAZY WORLD OF JULIUS VROODER -to many , some of the worst movies ever made-but I would like the oppurtunity to see them again-because each-in some way -had an effect on me. Would I pay $35 for a Blu-Bird? Probably -and i would regret it later. Just like I spent $175 on the Elia Kazan boxed set-ebven though i had all but one of them-just to have A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN -a movie I can watch over and over and not feel too guilty. Its a great one

#15 of 81 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,041 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 06 2011 - 08:10 AM

Yikes, Louis - paragraph breaks once in awhile please.
facebook.com/whotony

#16 of 81 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,853 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 06 2011 - 08:17 AM

I recorded both At Long Last Love and The Blue Bird to rewatch off the Fox Movie Channel a couple of weeks ago. Sadly, ALLL went to 4:3 after the credits. The Blue Bird did at least retain the proper aspect ratio throughout (and it was as terrible as I remembered it being).

#17 of 81 Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,463 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 08:39 AM

Yes-the $20 pricetag is very affordable-I should have researched that. But-when their are hundreds of Blus jampacked with extras (the recent PULP FICTION/JACKIE BROWN) for under $20 its a shame that those arent 10 dollars or less. Like anything else-supply and demand accounts for the pricing here. At a pressing of a limited 3000 copies @ $35 a piece -thats $105,000. With licensing fees, and other running expenses-is there a profit on these dvds/blus for Twilight? Movies are a very personal taste. And while I a gree DANCEKINGS is a slight litle movie-it does have its charms and its a movie I remember fondly. With novels I tend to read what I think are challenging books-if you are investing that much time in reading-I-imho-want it to be thoughtprovoking. Movies-and I do love classics and difficult films-I tend to rewatch the more frivolous ones. Music-again a more passive form of entertainment-I let wash over me-but again its a personal choice. I tend to always see the glass half empty an half full. Twilight is doing an outstanding restoration of these films (as is Olive-for nearly half the price). But, like their name-their choices are a little sleepy-for me. I simply cannot get too excited over a series of films that have had numerous play on FMC . Which brings us to the idea of the forbidden fruit. I-in my simple way-may want DANCEKINGS , WW2 and AT LONG LAST-simply because I cannot have them-in anyform (if their were vhs copies-i'd be less indignant about them). If I had them here tomorrow by Twilight Time-I'd be excited because of their unavailability. As i would with ALEX AND THE GYPSY , FIRE SALE ,THE BLUE BIRD , CRAZY WORLD OF JULIUS VROODER -to many , some of the worst movies ever made-but I would like the oppurtunity to see them again-because each-in some way -had an effect on me. Would I pay $35 for a Blu-Bird? Probably -and i would regret it later. Just like I spent $175 on the Elia Kazan boxed set-ebven though i had all but one of them-just to have A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN -a movie I can watch over and over and not feel too guilty. Its a great one

Agreed about the need for some paragraph breaks, Louis. :) Several of the films you request, have appeared on FMC over the years and / or Netflix Streaming. AT LONG LAST LOVE is on Netflix right now, for instance. So, while there may not be DVDs, they are not unattainable in some form. As to whether there's a profit for Twilight Time, I'm guessing that like with most things of this nature, if the initial ones are successful, this will prompt more releases. A few clunkers in a row, though, and that could be all she wrote for TT.

#18 of 81 Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted December 06 2011 - 08:50 AM

Paragraph breaks -I tend to write like I speak. I'm sorry about that annd will be careful in the future.I'm sure its annoying to read-and impolite on my part. Thanks

#19 of 81 Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted December 07 2011 - 01:05 AM

Were DVDs ever that expensive early on? LDs were $35-$40 and rarely budged.

I shelled out $40 (pre tax) for Carpenter's "The Thing."

#20 of 81 Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted December 07 2011 - 01:37 AM

Yep...I paid $35 pretax for The Thing, Vertigo, The Blues Brothers, American Grafitti, and a bunch of others. A lot of those weren't even anamorphic.