-

Photo

TCM Vault - Back Street (Double Feature)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 731 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 03:04 AM

Is this new double feature pressed or burned (MOD)? Also, will the new Jean Arthur collection be pressed? Thank you.

#2 of 10 John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 03:55 AM

The Back Street double feature is pressed for now.  Once TCM/Movies Unlimited sell out of the intial pressing I believe future copies will be burned.

Can't help you with the Jean Arthur question.

"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#3 of 10 Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 731 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 05:07 AM

The Back Street double feature is pressed for now.  Once TCM/Movies Unlimited sell out of the intial pressing I believe future copies will be burned.

Can't help you with the Jean Arthur question.

Thank you. I just placed my order directly with Movies Unlimited for the Back Street double feature, which I'm thinking *should* (fingers-crossed) place me safely in the initial pressing.

#4 of 10 RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 09:07 AM

Dave, where have you read about this Jean Arthur Collection? This is complete news for me. What are the titles that will be part of this set?

#5 of 10 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,555 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 09:32 AM

Dave, where have you read about this Jean Arthur Collection? This is complete news for me. What are the titles that will be part of this set?

It's on preorder on the TCM website Indeed, this is news! And it's being released on Oct 17!! For 34.99, it includes Adventure in Manhattan, More Than a Secretary, The Impatient Years, and Public Menace.

#6 of 10 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 09:35 AM

It's up for sale on the TCM website (October 17 release): THE IMPATIENT YEARS (Arthur's final Columbia release), MORE THAN A SECRETARY, ADVENTURE IN MANHATTEN, the obscure PUBLIC MENACE. Video Distribution is getting more than incestuous: MGM =WB= Allied Artists=United Artists=Sony (Columbia)=Fox=Amazon=TCM=Universal=Paramount=Movies Unlimited=Critics Choice=Deep Discount.=Screen Archives Entertainment. Or variations thereof.
Charles Hoyt

#7 of 10 Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 731 posts

Posted October 05 2011 - 09:54 AM

JoHud and Charles already helpfully provided the answer. I will add this: I never read about the release, per se. Instead I have seen the same commercial (except I guess it would be a promo) numerous times on TCM, in between films. They show the actual cover art (presumably), along with clips from the various titles in the collection.

#8 of 10 Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,190 posts

Posted October 07 2011 - 06:20 AM

Received my Back Street DVD in today's mail and while I'm thrilled to have it, I must confess I was disappointed with the transfer of the 1961 film. Yes, it's in anamorphic wide screen (1.85) but the transfer is on the soft side and the colors aren't as vivid as they should be. It could have done with a bit of remastering to make the picture sharper and punch up the colors.

#9 of 10 kagemusha98

kagemusha98

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted October 07 2011 - 10:37 AM

On TCM...It was a surprisingly sharp picture with really vivid colors.

#10 of 10 John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted October 21 2011 - 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dave B Ferris 

Also, will the new Jean Arthur collection be pressed?
Thank you.

Got the set today and it is pressed.  However, this may be for a limited time.  If it works like the Universal program, TCM has a limited pressing done and when they sell out they go to burned copies.  So if you want the pressed set and can afford it, now's the time to get it.

"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."