Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The official Star Wars The Complete Saga Blu-ray discussion thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1989 replies to this topic

#21 of 1990 OFFLINE   Kenny Kraly Jr

Kenny Kraly Jr

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 09:21 AM

Sorry about the double question post of the same question on 2 different screen names.

#22 of 1990 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 10:10 AM

I too would like to know if the originals are getting new 4K scans compared to the ones used in 2004 for the DVD and broadcasts.

#23 of 1990 OFFLINE   Vincent-P

Vincent-P

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 10:50 AM

-Why are extras (such as Empire Of Dreams) from the previous DVD sets not being carried over to the Blu-Ray set? -Why are prominent SW-related documentaries (From Empire To Jedi, The Legacy Revealed, etc.) not being included on the Blu-Ray set?

#24 of 1990 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 15 2011 - 10:58 AM

What efforts will be made in terms of archiving all 6 films for future generations (storage and preservation of original film elements [where applicable]. conversion and storage of digital files, audio stems, etc.)? These films are part of our cultural heritage, and it would be a shame if they were lost to the ravages of time because extant elements were stored in antiquated formats.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#25 of 1990 OFFLINE   kenkraly2004

kenkraly2004

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 11:40 AM

How come some documentaries on the star wars books , comics , novels , toy's etc are not on the blu-rays? Did it have to do with space limitations?

#26 of 1990 OFFLINE   none

none

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 12:59 PM

Online discussion of this upcoming blu-ray set often focuses on 'fixing' issues people feel passionate about. How does a project like this get tackled, how do you identify items which need 'something'. And how much of the reality of the blu-ray format affects how these movies are presented? How much in concert are these blu-rays and the 3D teams working? Is Lucasfilm aware of the 'Humdinger Glitch'? It's a digital error artifact first seen in the 2004 DVD version of SW and subsequent HD broadcasts. http://fd.noneinc.co...D-Humdinger.jpg Mr. Muren : Having worked on both the physical and digital effects side of these films, how do you react when articles or tv programs talk about one side but use the images/video of the other effects method? (for example: how programs mention the academy awards SW won but then show SE clips. Or the Making of ESB book with SE photos.)

#27 of 1990 OFFLINE   MattBradley

MattBradley

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 02:28 PM

Are there any changes that George attempted to make and then abandoned when it comes to updating the movies? Has George completed his vision of the movies or can we expect things to continue to be added or changed in the future? When changes are made, is George specific about what it is he wants or does he allow you to add your own input?
What is understood need not be discussed.

#28 of 1990 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,320 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted August 15 2011 - 02:50 PM

I want the original trilogy and the 97 Special Edition Versions as well. And I know they won't want to talk about that topic and the whole discussion that the films just could never really be released in their original form in HD is well... I call b.s. (Lucas would never not take care of his films - would he?)

So I guess a valid technical sound question would be ... will John Williams score be drowned out again during the battle sequences much like the previous DVD releases?

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#29 of 1990 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,256 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 03:45 PM

Just to clarify, it was just the music in the surround channels on "Star Wars" (now called "Episode IV - A New Hope") that were flipped.  Instruments that were supposed to be on the left were coming from the right and vice versa.  At the time Lucasfilm made a blanket statement that said everything we heard in the new sound mixes were "deliberate creative decisions". If indeed this is a new mix, was the point made to re-evaluate previous decisions that were approved in 2004?

Visually, many people complained about matte boxes (most likely a result of misadjusted monitors) in the earlier films.  Have these shots been re-composited digitally?

#30 of 1990 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 07:39 PM

How did you find the condition of the elements used for the deleted scenes in the original trilogy? For the deleted scenes, are you presenting raw footage or have the elements been grated and cleaned for the blu-ray?

#31 of 1990 OFFLINE   Dave Farley

Dave Farley

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 08:16 PM

My questions relate to the special features. 1.) There were four behind-the-scenes documentaries made for the original trilogy back during its original run. Three of the four are being included on disc 9 of this set. The fourth, "From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga", which was certainly not a rehash of the other three, has been left off of this set. This documentary contained exclusive interviews with George Lucas and some great information on the making of 'Return of the Jedi', such as the speeder bike chase with Dennis Muren. These features appear nowhere else. This documentary, quite popular in the past, and produced "in-house" by Lucasfilm, has never had a release beyond VHS/Laserdisc. Can you tell us why this 65-minute documentary was left off the new set, considering the nearly three hours dedicated to other topics like the 501st and spoofs of the Star Wars films? 2.) Also, will we ever see a modern release of the special features from the laserdisc sets? For example, the "Definitive Collection", which had over 2.5 hours of exclusive special features, the 30-minute "Making of the Special Edition" feature from the 1997 SE laserdisc set, and the 20-minute George Lucas/Leonard Maltin interview from the 1995 "Faces" laserdisc set. Unlike the four bonus DVD's from the original trilogy and prequels, the laserdisc bonus features and "From Star Wars to Jedi" are not viewable on a modern format and it would be great if Lucasfilm could rectify this for fans of the films. 3.) Considering Blu-ray's capacity for standard definition and the fact that most, if not all, the past special features from the VHS/Laserdisc/DVD sets were filmed in standard definition, was any thought originally given to making this a 10 disc or larger set, which would have allowed virtually all past special features to be included, similar to what some other movie franchises have done? Thank you.

#32 of 1990 OFFLINE   KlausL

KlausL

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 09:23 PM

1. Lightsabers Will the lightsaber of OT Darth Vader be pink/magenta color because almost every released screenshot/video footage for the upcoming blu-rays indicate this? Is there an explanation for this color change? [It used to be red if you ask the fans of the original unaltered trilogy, furthermore red used to be the sith-lightsaber color.] 2. Video Master If Lucasfilm only re-uses the 1080p OT masters, that were made for the 2004 dvd release and hd-broadcasts, what difference in resolution/detail/sharpness shall we expect from watching the hd-broadcast and watching these blu-rays? [Screenshot comparisons from hd-broadcasts and official released 1080p blu-ray footage http://starwars.com/movies/saga indicate absolutely no gain in resolution/detail/sharpness, only some gamma shift.] Why should we pay that much money, if so little effort was made? 4K-Scans are standard nowadays if it comes to blu-ray releases. 3. Audio Mix @MW: Why was the saga mixed in 6.1 Surround only instead of 7.1? As the german audio will be 5.1 only, was the german audio even remixed? @MW: As Fox Germany always claims that Skywalker Sound is mixing the german audio track: Are you aware of the OT lisp issues on the german audio track? It was introduced by mistake, when the remixing for the Special Edition in 1997 was done? Some sort of noise filter or DeEsser was double used by accident. Has this been fixed for the blu-rays? This not only ennoys german fans but regulary watchers as well. 4. Timeline How much time did it take to produce the blu-ray set?

#33 of 1990 OFFLINE   Brian Sallot

Brian Sallot

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 10:28 PM

I would also like the original untouched trilogy also and would like to make sure that no DNR or EE has been used and these films look as they should.

Later everyone

#34 of 1990 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted August 15 2011 - 11:28 PM

General Blu-ray Question:

Was there concern by Lucasfilm regarding Blu-ray's resolution bringing out flaws in the films (makeup, models, wires, etc.)? If so, how was it addressed?

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#35 of 1990 OFFLINE   Roonan

Roonan

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 11:45 PM

How did some glaring "errors" like the lightsabers and colour got past quality control in 2004? And did they got fixed for this release? Did all the changes made in 2004 came from George? If the Blu-Rays have any new changes, what was George unhappy with regarding the 2004 transfers? Are the 2004 transfers used as a basis for the Blu-Ray? Regarding the PT, did some SFX mistakes like mixed lightsabers colours in the arena in Ep. II got fixed? (E.g: Ki-Adi-Mundi's lightsaber was green instead of blue in some shots.) Thanks in advance.

#36 of 1990 OFFLINE   WinstonCely

WinstonCely

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted August 15 2011 - 11:50 PM

Mr. Muren : Having worked on both the physical and digital effects side of these films, how do you react when articles or tv programs talk about one side but use the images/video of the other effects method? (for example: how programs mention the academy awards SW won but then show SE clips. Or the Making of ESB book with SE photos.)

I've wondered along these lines myself. I mean, I understand wanting to update or fix mistakes (i.e. Blade Runner) but the original Star Wars movies were highly acclaimed for their special effects. How do the men and women who poured their hearts into those original effects feel about having them all replaced by computer effects? If it were me, although I'd respect the wishes of the director, I'd be a little hurt that no one will ever get to see what I originally did. That is unless they have ancient VHS copies.

#37 of 1990 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,550 posts

Posted August 16 2011 - 01:42 AM

Carl and Carlo have both already asked my questions for me.

#38 of 1990 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted August 16 2011 - 01:46 AM

Here is my question: When will they release a Star Wars set that I will actually buy? Until a proper release of the original trilogy is released, I will continue to watch Star Wars only on Laserdisc. As the years continue to fall away, so does my desire to revisit Star Wars. These were my favorite movies for the first 25 years of my life. Now, I doubt that any of them would crack by top 100 and they are dropping like a rock. I have not re-watched any of them for more than 5 years now.

#39 of 1990 OFFLINE   robbbb1138

robbbb1138

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted August 16 2011 - 01:58 AM

Was an extensive documentary for each of the 6 films ever considered (similar to what was done with the Alien box set)? There's certainly a ton to talk about with each movie, and the regular documentaries always focus on the original and short-change each movie increasingly more as they progress.

#40 of 1990 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,928 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted August 16 2011 - 02:10 AM

Let them know that very few people have a burning desire of owning/viewing featurettes related to toys, merchandising, people who camp out at conventions dressed like walking carpets, spoofs or anything that isn't directly related to actual making-of material. It really is a shame that Empire of Dreams (and other docs) won't be included in this set.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.