Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

No Weird Al thread? You bunch of unwashed Heathens!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,730 posts

Posted June 21 2011 - 02:39 PM

You know what's sad? When Weird Al releases a new CD and you don't recognize ANY of the songs in the polka melody.

Christ I'm getting old. . . . .

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted June 21 2011 - 02:56 PM

That's the problem.  Somewhere along the line, he started to parody songs I didn't want to hear in any form.  He's still brilliant, but his sources . . . not so much.  Last I heard were his free internet tracks, and they were good.  One was a style parody of the Doors, which is more my language.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,069 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 21 2011 - 02:57 PM

Alpocalypse for $4 today: http://www.amazon.co..._rd_i=163856011

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,894 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted June 22 2011 - 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Greg_S_H 

That's the problem.  Somewhere along the line, he started to parody songs I didn't want to hear in any form.  He's still brilliant, but his sources . . . not so much.  Last I heard were his free internet tracks, and they were good.  One was a style parody of the Doors, which is more my language.

I agree.  I loved his Doors parody and the video was great too.  He is great though

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,730 posts

Posted June 22 2011 - 07:12 PM

Well after a couple of listens, I think I'm much like Greg. My insulation from todays modern music leaves me scratching my head at the parodies on the disc. That said, the original stuff (like the one done in the Jim Steinman/Meatloaf style) is pretty strong. Al really is a creative dude.

So, not nearly as good as his early albums, but that's more my fault than Al's fault.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 23 2011 - 05:52 AM

Any comments on the DVD in the Deluxe edition? The videos included with the last album were terrible. I'm wondering if this one's worth getting.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 23 2011 - 06:21 AM

I know he gets his fame from Parodies, but I've always loved his originals.   This album is no exception.  Of course, the issue is many of these were available on "Internet Leaks" but it's OK, I'd grab it again.

As far as I'm concerned "Skipper Dan" is one of the better flat out dark songs he's put out in years.   It's one of those great songs about "well, I thought my life would be X.. boy, it didn't work out..." 

It's a brilliant folk / early rock song.     Love it   "What have I done with my life"   "I should have listened to my grandfather, and majored in Business instead.."

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,730 posts

Posted June 23 2011 - 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman 

Any comments on the DVD in the Deluxe edition? The videos included with the last album were terrible. I'm wondering if this one's worth getting.

The one from JibJab was pretty cool (they did CNR), but I really dig their animation style. Please Don't Foward that Crap to Me is weird with just a hint of lame (It's the lyrics to the song flying about on the screen), so it's the weak link of the DVD. There was one by Bill Plimpton that it looked good enough, but I don't like his art style - so that one was a miss for me. The one for the song done in the Doors style was a freaky/trippy 60's pastiche and was probably the best one of the bunch.

All in all, a mixed bag. Some were well done, some not so much. But I figure for 3 bucks more, I'm willing to splurge.