What's new

LG Optimus 2X - Really seriously considering this one! (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Wonder when's the Verizon LTE version of this coming. I'm also waiting for the Motorola Droid Bionic at this point...

_Man_

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Crazy enough, the Optimus 2X specs are already being outclassed by the Galaxy S2 and the Evo 3D. And with the 3D version of the Optimus coming soon, it seems like the Optimus 2X is already looking long in the tooth. And it hasn't even been released yet! Well, at least not in the US.

davesmith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Smith
Hanson, you seem to know what youre talking about, what are your thoughts on the Sony Ericsson Arc?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
To be honest, the Xperia Arc hasn't even been on my radar. Right off the bat, the lack of a dual core processor pegs it as last generation for many people, and the Sony brand, while still popular in the public consciousness, holds little luster in the smartphone world.

I did take a look at a review of the Arc and noted a few things:

First off, the biggest draw for the Arc is how thin and light it is. Yet the Galaxy S2 matches it on both fronts even with a slightly larger screen. If form factor is a key driver in your purchase, the S2 is clearly the superior phone, dual core processor and all. And if video playback is important to you, the Arc's lack of native codecs means you will need to convert everything to mp4 files before playback. Samsung has been outstanding in its native support of multiple codecs, including avi and mkv. Having had first hand experience with the Galaxy Tab, this codec support is substantial.

I was also put off by Sony's baffling decision to drop the search button. If the Arc is your first Android phone, you may not notice that it's missing. But veteran Android users like me utilize it all the time, and while it is in and of itself not a dealbreaker, it's exclusion is just another reason to pass on this phone.

Also note that the Arc only records up to 720p video. The S2 handles 1080p. While the difference between the two resolutions may not matter to some, it is another clear indicator of the generational difference between the Arc and the S2. In, fact the Arc specs are more in line with the Galaxy S than the S2.

Now it may turn out that the S2 is right crap as it hasn't been reviewed yet. But I would definitely wait for the S2 reviews to come out before taking the plunge with the Arc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks