Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Lincoln Lawyer...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,684 posts

Posted March 18 2011 - 03:28 PM

Saw this today. Really liked it. Not a big fan of Matthew McConaughey, but he's effective in these types of roles. The trailers give away a pretty big piece of info but still maintains an edgy, suspenseful nature. Ryan Phillippe was also excellent and truthfully deserved more screen time. I was reminded of the excellent and underrated "Fracture" film. Different films no doubt but showcases personal and professional attorney issues.

To nitpick I thought the film was a bit too quick with who's the bad guy but I understand why. We need that info to see the conflict Matthew M (Mick Haller) has & how he juggles it all.

William H. Macy always great and has a small role. As does the hot Marisa Tomei.

Well done & worth your time and money. Would like to see it again.

Solid 8.5/10.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,078 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 19 2011 - 05:52 AM

I agree with it being a fine film.  Almost didn't recognize Michael Pare in that small role.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted March 19 2011 - 12:10 PM

Matthew McConaughey plays Mick Haller, a defense lawyer whose nickname "The Lincoln Lawyer" comes from the black Lincoln that carts him around town.  Haller gets involved in a case involving a rich momma's boy Louis Roulet (played by Ryan Phillippe) arrested for sexual assault.  What appears to be a standard crminal defense case soon spirals into something bigger, and Haller finds himself in a dangerous and legal quandry, and it's quite fun to watch him try to wrangle free from the situations he finds himself in without risking disbarment or worse, bodily harm.

The supporting cast is solid, and the film's tone harkens back the 1970s for such a legal thriller.  The final act has quite a few surprising LOL moments as Haller puts on a show, and it's quite entertaining and fun to watch.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,244 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 04 2011 - 07:53 AM

Watched on cable last night. Enjoyed it enough but it was almost just an episode of a cop/detective show from the 70's, that's not a bad thing. Also I had a strong sense of deja vu the entire time I was watching and after reading the first post I now realize why. It was the trailer that ran for this movie probably nearly two years ago now. The trailer is practically the entire movie in three minutes. I haven't gone back to look at the trailer again but I'm sure that must be why I felt like I had seen this movie before while I was watching it. Btw imdb says this is n the same "universe" as Blood Work, I couldn't figure that out anyone know why?
facebook.com/whotony