What's new

Need recommendation for remote/signal boost (1 Viewer)

taterchips

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith
Hi,

New to the forums and a bit of a HT noob, so please be nice

I'm changing my home theater to clear some space and tidy the room. I've built a media closet outside the room where I plan to relocate my hardware (receiver, TiVo, DVD player, media PC, etc). All of my speaker connections terminate to this closet already, as well as all audio/video cabling.

I'm not using a universal remote at this time. Although this is something I plan to look at, I'm wondering what my best option is to be able to control my components in this remote location. My hardware will be sitting about 20 feet away with one wall to go through in terms of getting a signal from a remote.

I'm not looking to spend $$$$$, but am looking for an efficient, hassle-free way to accomplish this. Thanks in advance for suggestions/help.

K

Smokecloud

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Since my solid wood cabinet was at the back of the room I had the same problem. Not wanting glass in my cabinet doors and to have to point the remotes over my shoulder to get stuff to work, I knew I needed a RF remote system. I didnt want to break the bank on one, so I got Logitech large touch screen remote and the RF extender kit. You plug in the RF (radio frequency) kit and run little wires that have a IR emitter on the end, you stick them to the front of the devices in your closet and the remote will work through the walls from the other room. I have my pool table in the other room, when we are in there playing, I use the speaker system from my theater for a little ambience, the remote works fine from the other room. prices vary, so it pays to shop, I had a friend that worked at an electronics store and was able to get me the pair at cost. Even giving him a few bucks for his time, mine still came in under $300, but I have seen the remote sell by itself for $500 and the IR extender for another $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks