What's new

Any Receivers that handle multi-zone hdmi video output? (1 Viewer)

wadams

Auditioning
Real Name
Wayne Adams
I'm looking to be able to watch my HDMI video sources in multiple rooms. I know a number of the higher end A/V receivers have multiple (usually 2) hdmi outputs, but when I look at the various manuals, it seems that these outputs are not part of the multi-zone functionality of the receivers. I guess the 2 hdmi outputs always output the same signal?

Does anybody know of any receivers that have the multiple hdmi outputs as part of the multi-zone functionality? Ideally, I'd like the functionality to be able to have either the same input to both hdmi outputs or separate inputs to each hdmi output.

Thanks!

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Strangely enough, the answer is no as the cost would be prohibitive in entry to mid-level receivers where price-point is key.

The best way around this is using a 4x2 matrix HDMI switch. Cheers, JB

Amplemann

Auditioning
Real Name
Gerry
I hope you don't mind that I jumped in on this question. What would be a good source for a 4x2 matrix HDMI switch, as I had the same question.

VinceS

Grip
I am currently using the same Monoprice matrix switcher for my Zone 2 HDMI needs and it is working fairly well though I still wish I could find a receiver/processor that will handle the matrix internally.

As a bit of a rant this whole adding of a second HDMI output but not including a matrix switcher is really starting to tick me off... There is not a single receiver or processor that will handle this and the commonly used reason people give is because of cost. Really?? The Monoprice switcher is $56. The Denon AVR-4810CI retails for around $3000. It can't do it. The mack daddy Denon AVP-A1HDCI with an MSRP of $7500. It can't do it either. Anthem Statement D2v? Nope. How much does one of these need to cost to include the tech that's in that $56 Monoprice box???

Additionally, the Zone 2 outputs on pretty much every receiver/processor out there will not handle any HDMI input sources even if you are running your Zone 2 from Component or Composite outputs. IE... hooked up your sat box, cable, PS3, DVD, whatever via HDMI? Nope, won't work. Have to hook them up via an analog connection to get them to work over the Zone 2 analog outputs as the HDCP protocol won't even allow the receiver to down-rez to 1080i to pass it along. So with everything getting hooked up via HDMI these days the Zone 2 basically becomes useless!

The Sony STR-DAx600ES series receivers advertised they would be able to do Zone 2 HDMI out when the press release came out last summer but once they were released that feature was removed. Again, these aren't budget units. I just don't get it.

I'll end my rant there. Hopefully somebody will sort this soon. I'm off on my flying pig to go hunt unicorns...

jhedlind

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy Hedlind
I am trying accomplish the same thing. I want to only purchase 1 hdmi or one of any source and be able to serve that to all four zones in my home. I see no need for 4 blu-ray players, 4 SACD players, etc. It's terribly crappy but the most capable unit is the Denon AVP-A1HDCI @ $7500 but it cannot do this at all. It's limited to component at best.

The solution you are looking for does not involve an expensive Home Theater receiver unfortunately. The solution is to get a media server for around $300 and stream all the material you want over the CAT-5. You can send to almost unlimited destinations with one device (the size of one subnet, around 250 depending on implementation(provided you create the network for it.)). However, most people don't need more than an 8 port switch will provide them with. Even the cheaper devices are capable of encoding from hdmi, coax digital, optical digital, component, and s-video. If you want to deliver multiple streams from different sources at the same time you can buy multiple cheap media servers and deliver an unlimited number of streams by connecting one server to each device. The beauty of this is that the end-point device can pick from any number of concurrent streams similar to the way you switch channels on a television. A standard full duplex gigabit network would not saturate until five streams were running concurrently. Or, you can buy a multi-streaming device for around $1,000 and connect all your sources to it and it will create and stream two streams at a time. I have not seen one media server that could encode more than two sources at the same time yet. I am sure these devices will become more readily available in the future as more and more companies are building receivers with ethernet ports and the capability to receive streamed media. Onkyo, Integra, and Denon all offer this now.

I think you will find this solution much more flexible and much more palatable for expansion than trying to chase ridiculously expensive home theater receivers for multi-zone.

The problem with multiple source multiple destination hdmi is that it is clocked parallel data which by it's nature makes the job harder.

bercaw

Auditioning
Real Name
christy
Thanks for the great post Jhedlind!
We're building a home & I want to automate the hell out of it, including multi-zone home theater & audio zones. Can you elaborate on how I would stream audio & video to different locations independently. I'm confused as to the configuration & necessary devices.
Thanks in advance!

quesdilla

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Su
Multi Zone HD Video matrix.
Here is a way to distribute HD video source to 8 displays over CAT6 cables.
You can place the matrix in central equipment rack and distribute the video to 8 displays.
The matrix is controlled by IR which can be sent from the HDTV end back to the matrix over the CAT cables.

e4777c87_HDMI-over-Cat-Matrix_4X8_ap.gif

IntegritySound

Auditioning
Real Name
Benny Carino
Christy,
I've had really good success using Crestron's DigitalMedia matrix switcher. They have an 8x8, a 16x16 and a 32x32 option. I'll use the 8x8 as an example. From a centralized location, you share up to 8 audio/video sources and distribute them independently to up to 8 rooms/locations. If you have more sources/rooms, then you'll need to upgrade to the DigitalMedia 16x16.
For each room that you're going to distribute audio/video, you'll need a room controller to receive the signals from the DigitalMedia matrix switcher. This will suffice if you're going to use the television speakers. However, if you want to amplify the sound, you'll need to add an audio distribution amplifier as well as speakers.
If you're interested, I can draw up an equipment schematics sheet so you can get a general idea of all the components involved.
Benny

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I'm all for distributed video (that's why I use a Media Center PC with a cable card tuner as my whole house DVR), but I don't understand the insistence on putting devices that require physical media like DVD or Blu-ray in a central location. I'd rather walk across the room to put in a DVD or Blu-ray than walk across the house. I'm not knocking the Digital Media matrix switcher that Benny is proposing (I have an extensive Crestron system at home), but you could buy a Blu-ray player for every room of your house and probably every house on your cul-d-sac and still have money left over for what it would cost.

I know someone at CEDIA this year was showing an AVR that allowed a second HDMI output for a second zone, I just can't remember who.

ajay458

Auditioning
Real Name
Ajay Patel
Benny, I am in the process of setting up a home theater system. Based on the 4 zones I have created, I would at least need a 4x4 matrix switch. I would be highly interested in your diagram and things that I would need to purchase as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks