What's new

What does this mean on a DVD package ? (1 Viewer)

stevenHa

Second Unit
What does this mean on a dvd package and does it have any bearing on the quality ?"Ws Dub Sub Dol Ecoa Rpkg"

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Ws = Widescreen

Dub = Dubbed, i.e. Spanish or French dubs available

Sub = Subtitled, i.e English, Spanish, or other language subtitles available

Dol = Dolby Digital Sound

Ecoa ?

Rpkg = the disc has been available previously, this is just repackaging with new cover or case (usually, from snapper to one of keep cases)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Ecoa Rpkg supposedly means eco-friendly repackaging. It's big right now in the cd business too. As far as dvds go, I fear there's nothing too eco-friendly about it except the cover printed on recycled paper.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JohnMor

Ecoa Rpkg supposedly means eco-friendly repackaging. It's big right now in the cd business too. As far as dvds go, I fear there's nothing too eco-friendly about it except the cover printed on recycled paper.

Also, I think often the plastic cases have cut-outs in the front and back covers meaning that less plastic has been used in their manufacture.

My Blu-ray copy of Avatar is an example of this. It has cut-outs in the shape of the recycling logo (with the three arrows in a circular pattern) on the front cover...and cut-outs in the form of "pizza slices" on the back cover (underneath the disc).

And while I have no idea if it's true, maybe they are using recycled materials in the manufacture of the plastic cases. I'd like to think so...

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I'm really not a big fan of the eco packaging that I've seen for any of the formats that I buy. They always seem to be a lot more flimsy than standard packaging. The CD cases are usually cardboard instead of the standard jewel case so they get beat up a lot more easily and the Blu-ray and DVD cases are usually a lot thinner with holes in them so they don't protect the discs quite as well. Although I haven't gone to this extreme, I have read quite a few posts on various forums where people are buying new cases for their discs and tossing the eco friendly cases in the trash.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Douglas R

I'd much prefer those to eco cases but I always feel like I have to be really careful with the few steelbooks that I have because I'm afraid I might put dents in them or scratch them up or something.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There are any number of on-line vendors, Todd, willing to sell blu-ray cases of all sizes to customers. HERE'S a link to one of them.

From your first response, I assumed you were worried about the flimsier cases not protecting the valuable discs inside. Your second response leads me to believe you are more concerned about the packaging than the discs themselves!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks