Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

High End Touch Screen Remote - The perfect IPAD app?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,071 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted April 08 2010 - 07:06 PM

Member buggs (Scott) has a really good idea about using the iPad as a touch remote similar to a Crestron unit.

You can read about it here

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/299610/high-end-touch-screen-remote-the-perfect-ipad-app

Great idea.

Parker

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#2 of 11 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,678 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 09 2010 - 01:32 AM

You can do this with an iPhone already, I'm sure the usual suspects are coming up with iPad versions.  Not all that much interesting to me, I've never gotten into the whole home automation thing.  Seems an awful lot of headache and expense plus adding complexity to something that's pretty easy to do with physical switches.  But I get why others are into it, but to me it's kinda meh.

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#3 of 11 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,198 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted April 09 2010 - 07:11 AM

This makes more sense than "iPhone as Universal Remote", which was obviously an idea created by bachelors :)

Even so: how do you make the family's browser / game system / book reader also a dedicated remote control? "Hey! Stop that game of Plants vs Zombies so I can change channel!"

But I guess given that people already pay $500+ for a high-end remote, they'd pay $500 for an iPad dedicated to controlling the home theater.

#4 of 11 Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,864 posts

Posted April 09 2010 - 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF View Post

This makes more sense than "iPhone as Universal Remote", which was obviously an idea created by bachelors :)

Even so: how do you make the family's browser / game system / book reader also a dedicated remote control? "Hey! Stop that game of Plants vs Zombies so I can change channel!"

But I guess given that people already pay $500+ for a high-end remote, they'd pay $500 for an iPad dedicated to controlling the home theater.
Actually it works very well in our house -- my original first gen. iPhone is our HT remote (the screen sleep/lock timer is set to "never" so the remote is always there to skip the commercials)/cooking timer (no fear about getting sauce on the 3GS)/alarm clock (the much maligned low volume speaker is perfect for waking you up pleasantly).

The iPad will be a better generalized HTPC/Mac remote due to the superiority of the bigger screen for screen sharing a.k.a. remote desktop. Definitely the iPhone/iPad combo can (and should) displace the universal remote industry.

Hold on tightly, let go lightly.
My Twitter page

#5 of 11 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,198 posts

Posted April 09 2010 - 03:30 PM

So I'm thinking of where the iPhone is acutally used as a phone :) Not the situation where a family has spare, unused iPhones needing a purpose in life.

But I completely disagree that these devices can and should displace other universal remotes. I believe strongly in physical buttons. Having a volume and channel buttons I can use without looking at the remote is impossible with any wholly touch-screen device.

#6 of 11 Steven Simon

Steven Simon

Producer

• 3,261 posts

Posted April 10 2010 - 01:59 PM

There is a Control4 App that looks amazing on the Ipad...  You get your entire GUI right on the iPad...  You can download it for free and check it out in demo mode... I hear activation is $300!! Ouch....

#7 of 11 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,071 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted April 10 2010 - 02:22 PM

The cool thing about this is with the IP to IR you could pretty much do what the Control 4 and Crestron do for a lot less money.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#8 of 11 Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,864 posts

Posted April 11 2010 - 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
But I completely disagree that these devices can and should displace other universal remotes. I believe strongly in physical buttons. Having a volume and channel buttons I can use without looking at the remote is impossible with any wholly touch-screen device.
Dave, you are still waiting to get your first iPhone -- right?  Trust me, once you do you will quickly change your mind about the need for physical buttons.  The iPhone does have physical volume buttons, and certainly remote software *can* use them, but on screen ones are just better. 

My Twitter page

#9 of 11 Steven Simon

Steven Simon

Producer

• 3,261 posts

Posted April 11 2010 - 08:19 AM

You still need a control4 receiver box.... 

#10 of 11 Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,864 posts

Posted May 11 2010 - 07:39 AM

iPhone IR remote out:

http://www.businessi...terminal-2010-5

http://www.l5remote.com/

Also available:

http://www.newkinetix.com/

and

http://newpotatotech.../FLPR/flpr.html

and

(not yet out)

https://thinkflood.c...is-redeye-mini/

My Twitter page

#11 of 11 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,198 posts

Posted December 08 2010 - 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ted Todorov 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF 

Dave, you are still waiting to get your first iPhone -- right?  Trust me, once you do you will quickly change your mind about the need for physical buttons.  The iPhone does have physical volume buttons, and certainly remote software *can* use them, but on screen ones are just better.  

Got my iPhone. Still love physical buttons on special-purpose devices. Replacing my Harmony One with my iPhone would be disastrous. Even for iPod functionality, I'm so glad to have discovered the hard-button feature of the iPhone headphones. :)

But that's not why I'm here. An interesting uni-remote solution previewed at Engadget for the iPhone. But presumably an iPad version could come along.

http://www.engadget....using-a-wirele/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow