What's new

Flat Panel tv with video output? Or solution to our problem. (1 Viewer)

PFCDUDE

Auditioning
Real Name
Zak
My father is considering upgrading from his old HD CRT to a flat panel, but will only do so if I can find one with a video output, and two coax inputs. I'm having problems finding such a tv.

If you're wondering the reason is because he has a projector that he likes to watch tv on. The problem is he refuses to pay for sat or the digital cable box. ( which would allow for an HDMI/DVI hook up to the projector )
So we use just standard cable & OTA input to the tv and output it to the projector when he wants to watch it really big.

He has no problem paying for a one time fix, he just does't like monthly fees.

Is there a product that could solve his problem? Something like a receiver with coax inputs?

Thanks

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I don't believe such a beast still exists. The video output can only be standard definition composite video and there is no circuitry in a TV to convert from HD or SD digital to SD analog for such an output. His old CRT was probably an HD-Ready set without a digital tuner. Those definitely do not exist now.

That said, you could always take an old VCR and grab the video output from it's tuner. It will be the same quality as you have now.

PFCDUDE

Auditioning
Real Name
Zak
Thanks for the input, you're right the CRT is HD Ready.

He has a small lcd tv that picks up over 100 channels some in HD.
http://review.zdnet.com/product/flat-panel-tvs/insignia-ns-l26q-10a/33570748
With these tuners:
QAM, ATSC, 8-VSB

So is there not just a tuner box you can buy that can do the same? The VCR won't pick up the new digital signal that our local cable company switched to or the QAM HD channels.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Your problem is the mix of signals. (note, ATSC is 8VSB)
There is no hardware inside of a TV to convert from digital to analog, which is what the projector is receiving.
There is no need to get the locals in HD if the signal is going to be sent to the PJ in SD.
(as long as an SD signal is available)
Therefore, as long as an analog signal for the locals is available, then a VCR is all you need to feed the PJ.
(HD is irrelevant)

If your Cableco has gone all-digital, then you will need a device that can tune QAM. A DVD recorder with an internal tuner would be the easiest device available. ($250?) It will only pick up non-encrypted channels. If your Cableco has gone digital and encrypted the channels, (this is the norm) then you will absolutely have to get their cable box. You don't necessarily need an HD box. A basic cable box will pick up all of the subscribed stations and down convert them to SD composite video. (the yellow coded cable)

Since the future of cable is all-digital, all-encrypted, you will be using a cable box for all TVs in a household.
Just get the best deal that you can.
Many times a Cableco will offer several free boxes when they do a forced upgrade to all-digital.

PFCDUDE

Auditioning
Real Name
Zak
Thanks for the info Steve.

I was just hoping to find a tv like he has now that picks up all the extra channels with a DVI or HDMI output that way it could remain in HD. I guess the demand just isn't there for this to be a feature.

I tried the digital recorder option but it didn't pickup any channels. I guess it didn't have a QAM tuner inside?

Regardless we got a good deal on a " open item "LCD tv and I convinced him to just use it for normal tv viewing, and to use his projector for movies, and OTA HD broadcast.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
A DVD Recorder would need a QAM tuner. Most of the new ones do, older ones will not. That's part of the reason the new ones cost $250+ and the old ones ran $150+. Make sure it is set for Cable not Antenna. The tuner can only tune one or the other, not both.

He should keep his eyes open for his Cableco going all-digital and grab the best deal on a box possible. It will happen. It's not "if" but "when".

Locally, a letter announcing their digital change offers one cable box and two tuning adapters for free. A voluntary upgrade only offers one box and no tuning adapters. An Xfinity upgrade (HD digital, phone, internet) offers no free boxes and only a low price for a fixed time period. Our best local option will be to wait for the forced upgrade, get the 3 boxes, then pick the best deal for any other options.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks