Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Simple audio mixer (Not DJ related)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 16 2010 - 07:56 PM

Im looking for a simple audio mixer that will take two composite audio inputs and mix them into one output.

My current set-up is a bit complicated, but with the materials I have on hand, its the only way to achieve the desired effect. My PC, cable box, and PS3 are all connected to my TV. The audio is output to a Sony stereo, which has "Game Mixing", so I connect my Zune to the "Game" channel, and this way, I can play my music, whether I am on the computer or playing my PS3. I then output from the stereo to a receiver for 5.1 sound. The right audio channel on one of the inputs on the stereo is going bad. The stereo is cumbersome as is, and if there is a simpler way to mix my zune audio with everything else, problem solved.

Id rather have composite, but if I have to, I can do auxillary. Id also prefer something in the sub-$50 range.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted March 17 2010 - 12:01 PM

Composite?

That's not a term I generally associate with audio.

Anyway, something you might want to look at is, for example, the Rolls MX42 mini stereo mixer.  Amazon, B+H Photo and Video, and others have it; it's about $48 plus shipping (or not,) and is a passive mixer.  4 line-level stereo ins, one line-level stereo out, using RCA ports.  Passive, so it's unpowered.  The reviews at B+H are quite positive.  

Or look around; Radio Design Labs (RDL) and numerous other people make equipment that would do what you need at very reasonable price-points.  (I'm going into detail about the Rolls above, just as it's the first to pop up.)

Leo

#3 of 5 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 17 2010 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for the reply.

By composite I meant RCA, so I guess you suggested the right one./img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Ill check out RDL, but I really only need two input ports, do you know of anything even cheaper?

Also, when I search for it, Ive tried countless different ways of wording my search query, but 99% of the results are for thousand dollar DJ equipment. What should I be searching for?

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted March 18 2010 - 12:43 PM

I just used "stereo mixer" on Google. 

As an aside, the Radio Design Labs will probably not be cheaper!

Leo

#5 of 5 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 18 2010 - 05:12 PM

Found this: http://www.electotro...audiomixer.aspx

Dont know if youve heard anything about this one specifically. It seems to have some good reviews, and doesnt suffer from buzz at louder volumes like similar ones.

Also I guess its a steal at $30.