Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.


Photo
- - - - -

Would anyone recommend the BDP-80 Oppo region-free PAL/NTSC player?


  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

    Producer



  • 4,592 posts
  • Join Date: May 22 1999
  • Real Name:Rick

Posted March 01 2010 - 10:26 AM



#2 of 16 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Moderator



  • 26,051 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 01 2010 - 10:50 AM

I have an Oppo DVD player that I use to play back most of my SD DVDs.  The Oppo-80 is their cheaper version of the Oppo-83 Blu-ray player that costs about $500.

I'd bought the Sherwood-5004 to play back my BRD and DVDs from other regions.  Read this thread about it as it's much cheaper than the Oppo-80 player.




Crawdaddy


Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

    Screenwriter



  • 2,701 posts
  • Join Date: May 25 2003
  • Real Name:Ed
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted March 01 2010 - 11:05 AM

I have it's older brother, the BDP-83, and like it a lot.
Knowing Oppo's rep for building quality gear, yes, I'd recommend it.

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

    Producer



  • 4,592 posts
  • Join Date: May 22 1999
  • Real Name:Rick

Posted March 01 2010 - 11:57 AM

Thanks, Robert. I've done some reading up on the Sherwood since you posted. The major issue seems to be that it's quite noisy while loading and makes a "whirring" sound while playing. Have you noticed this? More importantly, did you have to enter codes to access all-regions for Blu-rays? Finally, would I have to jump through hoops to get it to convert PAL to NTSC with DVD's?

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

    Executive Producer



  • 10,996 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 16 1998
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 01 2010 - 11:49 PM

I also own an Oppo SD-DVD player (the 980H). While I do not use it for region-free playback, it is a great universal upconverting SD-DVD player -- it also plays DVD-Audio and SACD discs.  If I did not already have the combination of the Oppo 980H and a Sony BluRay player that met all my current playback needs, I would be buying an Oppo BluRay player.


#6 of 16 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Moderator



  • 26,051 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 02 2010 - 02:36 AM



Originally Posted by Dick 

Thanks, Robert. I've done some reading up on the Sherwood since you posted. The major issue seems to be that it's quite noisy while loading and makes a "whirring" sound while playing. Have you noticed this?

More importantly, did you have to enter codes to access all-regions for Blu-rays? Finally, would I have to jump through hoops to get it to convert PAL to NTSC with DVD's?
Dick,
My Oppo DVD player is more noisy than the Sherwood during loading.  I never noticed the "whirring" sound during playback on the Sherwood.

The codes are easy just read the last few posts in that thread I linked to which explains the process.  When I first played some dvds from the UK, I didn't even have to change the codes for the player as it played them automatically.


Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

    Screenwriter



  • 1,326 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 17 2009

Posted March 03 2010 - 02:23 AM

Unlike region-free DVD players, I believe that you have to enter a code to change zones on all multi-region blu-ray players. There are many discs that aren't region locked, though. And standard DVDs from any country should play just fine without the need to change codes.

As far as PAL-NTSC conversion goes, it really depends on the player. Some do it very well, some fairly poorly.

I have a Momitsu, multi-region blu-ray player that does an excellent job of converting PAL-NTSC. It's also cheaper than the Oppo. Not sure if we're allowed to post links here, but if you google "Momitsu blu" you should find it pretty easily.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#8 of 16 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Moderator



  • 26,051 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 03 2010 - 02:58 AM



Originally Posted by Worth 

Unlike region-free DVD players, I believe that you have to enter a code to change zones on all multi-region blu-ray players. There are many discs that aren't region locked, though. And standard DVDs from any country should play just fine without the need to change codes.

As far as PAL-NTSC conversion goes, it really depends on the player. Some do it very well, some fairly poorly.

I have a Momitsu, multi-region blu-ray player that does an excellent job of converting PAL-NTSC. It's also cheaper than the Oppo. Not sure if we're allowed to post links here, but if you google "Momitsu blu" you should find it pretty easily.
 
The Sherwood is the same player as the Momitsu, but with another name plate and lower price.




Crawdaddy


Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

    Producer



  • 4,592 posts
  • Join Date: May 22 1999
  • Real Name:Rick

Posted March 04 2010 - 02:26 PM

Robert, one final question regarding your Sherwood. How smooth and sharp is the image when converting from PAL to NTSC? I used to find that Academy ratio films looked fine, but anamorphic ones were jerky. I would love to own the region 2 JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN again (it is 16x9 2.35:1), but I owned this previously along with an outboard format converter and it was unwatchably jerky. There are tons of great DVD's from Spain and other countries (read: Hammer films missing in the U.S. and lots more). Would I have better luck with Sherwood's built in one? Thanks. That would answer all my concerns before I go ahead and purchase!

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Selden Ball

Selden Ball

    Second Unit



  • 412 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 01 2001
  • Real Name:Selden

Posted March 06 2010 - 02:26 AM

I'm not Robert, but...

I have my Sherwood BDP-5004 configured to output everything at 1080p/60 in order to avoid PAL/NTSC frame rate issues in the display device (I'm using it with a Mitsubishi HC3800 DLP projector). I have never noticed any jerky video. However, I also tend not to notice things like that.

Also, bear in mind that Oppo does not sell region free players any more. Although the 83 and 80 are "universal", that means they can play SACD and DVD-A formats in addition to CD, DVD and BD. They are still region locked. "Universal" does NOT mean "region free". Supposedly after-market unlocking chips are available, though.

Selden

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

    Screenwriter



  • 2,701 posts
  • Join Date: May 25 2003
  • Real Name:Ed
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted March 09 2010 - 12:49 AM

The manual for my BDP-83 says it plays BD movies from all regions, so it appears it's region free for BD movies. It's not for dvds though. That takes a mod, which kills the warranty.
See page 4 of the manual: http://download.oppo...lish_Manual.pdf

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

    Screenwriter



  • 1,326 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 17 2009

Posted March 09 2010 - 05:14 AM



Originally Posted by Ed Moxley 

The manual for my BDP-83 says it plays BD movies from all regions, so it appears it's region free for BD movies. It's not for dvds though. That takes a mod, which kills the warranty.
See page 4 of the manual: http://download.oppo...lish_Manual.pdf
Not sure where you're getting that idea from, as the manual explicitly states that the Oppo will only play back discs from region A:

Quote:
This player is designed and manufactured to respond to the region management information. If the region number of a BD-Video or DVD disc does not correspond to the region number of this player, this player cannot play the disc.
BD-Video: This player plays BD-Video with marks containing the region code A.


Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

    Screenwriter



  • 2,701 posts
  • Join Date: May 25 2003
  • Real Name:Ed
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted March 09 2010 - 10:12 AM

Ok, I misunderstood what it was showing. It shows regions A,B &C. So I guess it's saying the A must be with the B & C, for it to work. Someone else had showed me that, and said it was region free for BDs. I took their word for it, since I don't care one way or the other. I only watch region A. I don't buy foreign movies, on dvd or BD.
Sorry 'bout that. I gotta quit listening to people, and check for myself.

Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#14 of 16 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Moderator



  • 26,051 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 09 2010 - 10:38 AM



Originally Posted by Ed Moxley [url=/forum/thread/298567/would-anyone-recommend-the-bdp-80-oppo-region-free-pal-ntsc-player#post_3668771]
 
Why, I may ask?







Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 


#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

    Screenwriter



  • 2,701 posts
  • Join Date: May 25 2003
  • Real Name:Ed
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted March 09 2010 - 11:22 AM



Originally Posted by Robert Crawford 




Why, I may ask?







Crawdaddy
Sure, you can ask.......
I have no interest really. Having them shipped is usually more expensive, right? I might would buy a British movie, if it wasn't more expensive.
Plus, I despise subtitles! I can't stand having to read a movie. I tried to watch Pan's Labyrinth and Mel Gibson's Jesus movie (can't remember the name), and quit watching after a few minutes. I'd rather they be dubbed than subtitled. Plus, a couple of friends and I will trade movies with each other, just to watch, and they don't have anything to play them either. I won't even watch silent movies, because of subtitles. Did I mention that I despise subtitles?


Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#16 of 16 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Moderator



  • 26,051 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 09 2010 - 03:18 PM



Originally Posted by Ed Moxley 



Sure, you can ask.......
I have no interest really. Having them shipped is usually more expensive, right? I might would buy a British movie, if it wasn't more expensive.
Plus, I despise subtitles! I can't stand having to read a movie. I tried to watch Pan's Labyrinth and Mel Gibson's Jesus movie (can't remember the name), and quit watching after a few minutes. I'd rather they be dubbed than subtitled. Plus, a couple of friends and I will trade movies with each other, just to watch, and they don't have anything to play them either. I won't even watch silent movies, because of subtitles. Did I mention that I despise subtitles?

 
Ed,
I wasn't sure what you were talking about beforehand which is why I asked you, but I thought you meant American movies released on video in other regions, but not so here.  This is why I have such a player and sometimes, I found Blu-ray releases of American films from the UK cheaper than this region's release of the same title





Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

 





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users