What's new

*** Official COP OUT Review Thread (1 Viewer)

mike caronia

Second Unit
Went to see Kevin Smith's latest last night, and for the most part, left the theater pretty entertained. I would imagine most critics will pan this buddy cop flick based on the toilet humor...but being a KS fan, I knew what to expect...and it's right up my alley ;)

I happen to be a big fan of Tracy Morgan, and he's in full effect here. His dumb guy persona was hilarious throughout. Bruce Willis played the straight guy well. Nice to see Scarface from Half Baked finally get another role...ha. Stifler was really good too.

The theater I saw it in was close to full, and people were laughing from beginning to end...especially the scene with the car thief...I'll leave it at that..

The original title of the film was supposed to be A Couple Of Dicks, and it's a shame they didn't have the balls to call it that.

Highly recommended for fans of Smith and Morgan (I knew his name!)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Cop Out". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Discussion Thread[/COLOR].

Crawdaddy

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Besides a humorous opening segment featuring Tracy Morgan delivering homages of cop-related dialogue while shaking down a suspect in the interrogation room, "Cop Out" had a threadbare framework of a plot to provide character motivation for Jim (Bruce Willis), while Paul (Tracy Morgan) had to work through his own relationship insecurities with his old lady (Rashida Jones).

I could have overlooked the plotline if the film had more energy from the pair of leading actors, or if it was actually funny throughout the running time, and not just here and there, but in the end, the film features this lazy tone that just undercuts any comedic tension or truly entertaining plot developments, and just doesn't even feel like a finished film product, and for that deficiency, you have to lay the blame at the screenplay and the director. It's just a dull film.

I give it 1.5 stars, or a grade of D+.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought the movie was really funny but maybe I'm biased because everything Tracy Morgan does cracks me up (anyone who is a fan of Morgan will enjoy him here). It doesn't aspire to be anything more than a homage/riff on 1980's buddy cop movies but it's still alot of fun and the crowd I saw it with seemed to love it.

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ole Oleson
Went in really wanting to like it, but found it quite humorless. I like everyone in it (Scareface included) but every joke fell flat. Saw it with a full audience and they were pretty quiet throughout. The only laugh out loud scene was the little car thief, everything else wasn't even worthy of a basic cable show.

D.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
As several have pointed out, this is Kevin Smith's first attempt to direct a film he didn't write. And it appears as though the studio saw the script and thought of Smith.

The problem with this matchup is that it gave Smith a film that played too much to his weaknesses and not enough to his strengths. I've always felt he will have a better time playing against type, and this film certainly doesn't do that.
There are some funny moments, but not enough. Add to that one very long - and IMHO, not funny and over the top - explanation about coming home to use the toilet, and I just felt like "can we wrap this up?"
Tracy Morgan was funny when given the chance to be funny has some choice moments. But this is an uneven effort that I think will fade very quicklly at the box office.
C-

:star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

(ok, may not work, but people get what I mean)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I saw it with some friends last Friday. We all enjoyed it. I forgot Kevin Smith directed it. But, that would explain "My Name is Earl" guy and the dick on the interogation window scene. I was surprise I enjoyed it. Since I usually can't take too much of Tracy Morgan. But, he was good.

While not comedic. I liked the part when...Tracy Morgan held the gun on the step-father so Bruce can have his moment.
This scene reminded me of when I am dealing with my son....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks