-

Photo
- - - - -

Chinatown : is this coming out on BR?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 892 posts

Posted January 20 2010 - 05:58 AM

anyone know anything abou this

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,215 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 20 2010 - 06:35 AM

Paramount isn't exactly quick to bring out their pre-80s titles on Blu. That being said, they'll probably get around to releasing Chinatown as part of their Sapphire Series sometime before 2012,

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,659 posts

Posted January 21 2010 - 11:54 PM

Judging by what they released in the US so far one might get the impression that Paramount did not produce ANY movies in the 50s and 60s ;)

Chinatown seems to be one of these titles that gets announced and then pushed back again because the studio wants to get it right. If that is the case I am all for it.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted January 22 2010 - 02:51 AM

The Digital Bits had originally said that a Blu-ray version of the recent Centennial Edition of Chinatown would be released in early 2010, but after the Polanski arrest, Paramount pulled all of their Polanski product out of circulation.  This includes all versions of Chinatown, even the Centennial Edition that only came out a few months before the arrest.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,170 posts

Posted January 23 2010 - 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Newcomb 

The Digital Bits had originally said that a Blu-ray version of the recent Centennial Edition of Chinatown would be released in early 2010, but after the Polanski arrest, Paramount pulled all of their Polanski product out of circulation.  This includes all versions of Chinatown, even the Centennial Edition that only came out a few months before the arrest.

I should think the furor would lead to increased sales! Don't tell my Paramount is suddenly having a crisis of conscience!

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,743 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 24 2010 - 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick 

I should think the furor would lead to increased sales! Don't tell my Paramount is suddenly having a crisis of conscience!

Paramount with a conscience, more likely the continuation of a marketing department that is inept and bad decisions.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 892 posts

Posted January 28 2010 - 06:24 AM

Looks like if they did a BR ,that the Original extras are gone for good,so keep thta dvd
Again a lot of the important extras on this new 2 dvd set arent 16x9 for some reason,only letterboxed

The comentary is pretty good too

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,919 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted January 29 2010 - 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverK 

Judging by what they released in the US so far one might get the impression that Paramount did not produce ANY movies in the 50s and 60s ;)

Chinatown seems to be one of these titles that gets announced and then pushed back again because the studio wants to get it right. If that is the case I am all for it.
actually if you look at the pre 90's releases list you will see that Paramount is pretty good at bringing stuff from the 70's its the pre 70's catalog that is missing, 2 titles, 2 that's all, and one of them isn't released yet (African Queen). i know alot of there film library is at Universal , but lets see, they have a lot of John Wayne classics, Billy Wilder ( Sunset Blvd, Stalag 17), Hitchcock (To Catch A Thief), The Ten Commandments (C.B. DeMille) Audrey Hepburn classics, and just got the rights for My Fair Lady , if Chinatown has to wait these are all acceptable substitutes to fill in the time.

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,659 posts

Posted January 29 2010 - 07:50 PM

Paramount indeed has released more titles from the 70s but so has every other major studio.

There is however only one more no-show studio, which is Universal. All the other majors gave us at least a few releases from those two decades! As Paramount produced many movies in VistaVision during those years they have a substantial library of movies that have the potential to look very good on Blu-Ray so it would be nice to see some progress being made at Paramount.

I think the Ten Commandments has been rumored for a hidef release for some time now and indeed it is a very popular movie for Paramount but as we know the most popular movies often are not the ones that get released first.