Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HTF DVD REVIEW: Glee: Season 1, Volume 1 - Road to Sectionals

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,181 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 03 2010 - 02:08 PM

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,231 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 03 2010 - 03:11 PM

Matt:

Has there been any noise about releasing this series on Blu-ray?

And...forgive my ignorance...but have episodes outside of the 13 presented here aired yet?

This is a series my wife and I could probably get behind...but I hesitate to make the purchase without knowing if an HD release might be coming down the pike. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,016 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 03 2010 - 05:11 PM

Mike- Nothing has been announced, but I would be surprised if when the first season is finished they don't release it on Blu-ray.  An early press release indicated both DVD and BD, but a correction was quickly issued. Fox has a pretty good track record for TV on BD (My Name is Earl, Bones, Dollhouse, The Unit and Simpsons, but no My Name is Ted) if that helps.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,107 posts

Posted January 03 2010 - 06:26 PM

I'm guessing when the entire season is released you'll see it on both standard DVD and glorious Blu-Ray. Jane Lynch in all her high-def glory. I'm about to board the Sue Sylvester Express.

Love ya like a sista!

Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,181 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 04 2010 - 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon 

Matt:

Has there been any noise about releasing this series on Blu-ray?

And...forgive my ignorance...but have episodes outside of the 13 presented here aired yet?

This is a series my wife and I could probably get behind...but I hesitate to make the purchase without knowing if an HD release might be coming down the pike. 

As others have said, nothing official has been announced, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Fox issued the entire first season on Blu-ray after the show's back nine episodes air this spring. I would certainly love to hear these musical numbers in lossless audio.

No, nothing else other than these thirteen episodes have yet aired. They were filmed and finished last summer before the series even began airing in the fall (after the sneak preview of the pilot aired as a special after American Idol in the spring of 2009). According to co-creator Ryan Murphy, they had no idea the series would catch on and were simply hoping Fox would air all thirteen episodes (which is why certain plots were brought to their conclusions in the first thirteen rather than having a lot of dangling stories with no resolutions.)

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,822 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 04 2010 - 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by MattH. 

As others have said, nothing official has been announced, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Fox issued the entire first season on Blu-ray after the show's back nine episodes air this spring.

The Digital Bits made the same guess this morning too.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,169 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 04 2010 - 07:11 AM

My daughter is a hardcore "Gleek" and picked this up first day. She then proceeded to watch the entire run over Christmas holidays on my BDP-S350. This looks very good upscaled on my 720p display, though not true HD. Great review, Matt. You hit all the salient nails on their respective heads.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted January 04 2010 - 08:18 AM

Admittedly, I didn't like this show at first glance.  I saw the sneak preview of the pilot following 'Idol' last Spring, and I believe the exact words uttered were, "What the f**k is this??".  Anyway, after catching wind that the show had become a huge hit, I decided to give it another chance....this time keeping an open mind.  Needless to say, it grew on me and I've been watching it since.  The musical numbers are fantastic.  Some of which actually gave me goosebumps.  Watch their rendition of Queen's "Somebody to Love" and you'll know what I mean.  Anyway, I chose not to get this, as I'm holding out for the inevitable 'complete' first season release.

My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,267 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted January 05 2010 - 04:29 PM

Nice review, Matt. I agree that the pregnancy angle was the weakest part of the storyline. Finn might not be the brightest kid around, but how does anyone get to be a senior in a suburban high school without hearing about paternity tests? And I never could conjure up a plausible way that Terri could have pulled off her plan without Will eventually catching on.

Still, I love the show. Glee club is nothing like it was when I was in high school!

Rich Gallagher

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,181 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 11 2010 - 08:41 AM

Now that Fox has renewed Glee for a second season and they're planning this talent search for some new cast members for season two, I feel more than ever that Fox is very high on the show and that a Blu-ray set of the entire first season should be forthcoming in the late summer/early fall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users