Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF Blu-ray Review: NEAR DARK (with great sadness not recommended)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted November 24 2009 - 08:23 AM

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,772 posts

Posted November 24 2009 - 12:31 PM

I love this film and it's a shame to read that it's been shat on for this Blu-ray, not only with the lackluster visual presentation, but also with that awful TWILIGHT inspired "artwork". Vincent

#3 of 7 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted November 25 2009 - 04:34 AM

Yeah too bad they messed up this transfer by trying way too hard to make it look clean.

I guess it fits the cover art perfectly..... awful.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted November 25 2009 - 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Vincent_P 

that awful TWILIGHT inspired "artwork".

Funny, my first thought was True Blood, but that's probably because they've made Adrian Pasdar's Caleb look so much like Vampire Bill. I'm sure you're right, given the marketing allure of a Twilight "tie-in". (Imagine the disappointment of anyone who buys Near Dark for THAT reason!)

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#5 of 7 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,801 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 25 2009 - 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Reuben 

I'm sure you're right, given the marketing allure of a Twilight "tie-in". (Imagine the disappointment of anyone who buys Near Dark for THAT reason!)

That possibility is the only redeeming aspect of the cover.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Joseph Young

Joseph Young

Screenwriter

• 1,355 posts

Posted November 25 2009 - 06:31 AM

I rented this BD this week, and I can agree with everything Michael mentioned in his review regarding the transfer.  It's scrubbed clean to where the detail - particularly shadow detail and three dimensionality of the images - has all but disappeared.  Daylight scenes were passable but seeing as most of the film is set in a nighttime, dusky, dusty atmosphere, I had to squint to make out details on my 55" Sammy, which I've never had to do.
Also, the dialogue is mufffled and the sound mix is just generally uneven.  A real disappointment.

Keep in mind, too, that Near Dark is one of several Lionsgate horror releases including Monster Squad and Cujo (a trailer for all of them is contained on the BD).  They all have that 'scrubbed clean' look in the trailer.

It also didn't help that my wife - a huge fan of vampire films in general - hated Near Dark because of its somewhat meandering plot.  This is more of a mood/character piece.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 705 posts

Posted November 30 2009 - 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Joseph Young 

I rented this BD this week, and I can agree with everything Michael mentioned in his review regarding the transfer.  It's scrubbed clean to where the detail - particularly shadow detail and three dimensionality of the images - has all but disappeared.  Daylight scenes were passable but seeing as most of the film is set in a nighttime, dusky, dusty atmosphere, I had to squint to make out details on my 55" Sammy, which I've never had to do.
Also, the dialogue is mufffled and the sound mix is just generally uneven.  A real disappointment.

Keep in mind, too, that Near Dark is one of several Lionsgate horror releases including Monster Squad and Cujo (a trailer for all of them is contained on the BD).  They all have that 'scrubbed clean' look in the trailer.

It also didn't help that my wife - a huge fan of vampire films in general - hated Near Dark because of its somewhat meandering plot.  This is more of a mood/character piece.

I'm glad I cancelled my preorder.  The price was very low, but why pay anything just to be disappointed.

"...meandering plot..."  Hmm.  I would never think of Near Dark as meandering.  It was pretty straightorward.

Doug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users