What's new

Waterworld (1994) Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Having recently watched both Dances with Wolves (1990) and The Postman (1997), and several of his early acting projects like A Perfect World (1991 I think?) I found Costner most comfortable playing honourable characters, and I found he's quite fond of creating great American myths. How do you think his character suits him in Waterworld, I haven't seen it in ages.

Does anyone considers it part of Costner's directorial career enough to consider alongside the projects he is credited with helming? How much of the film did he actually direct? Is it true it was two weeks, and does anyone know which scenes he directed?

(Edited for clarity, with apologies)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm a little confused, I thought only admins could make a topic official, or maybe one did do that.

Ben Are you just opening discussion on Waterworld or Kevin Costner in general.
I tried to see a question in your post.

I liked Waterworld and actually saw it in the theater it's opening Weekend.
I still want to see the long version but a rental copy isn't available from netflix as afar as I can tell.

"To begin with, I'm wondering if anyone enough about Waterworld to try and place it within Costner's career as an actor/director."
This specific sentence doesn't make sense to me, can you elaborate on tis more, and it's tough to talk about Waterworld without mentioning the problems it had.

"I haven't seen Waterworld in years, and being quite fond of The Postman, despite its faults, I'm wondering if anyone considers it part of Costner's directorial career enough to consider alongside the projects he is credited with helming."
Not sure what that means either, sorry.

Well I just checked blockbuster online and it is there so I guess I'l get to see the long cut soon enough.

Sorry Admins. I wondered about that "official," my mistake.

You're right, Tony, I've put the questions I meant to ask into the OP. But yes, basically I just wanted to start a conversation on Waterworld, because I recently found out that Kevin Costner didnt' direct it, yet I'd always thought he had, so its gotten me a bit confused about it. I can't believe he's only directed three movies...

This might be the worst movie I ever saw. No kidding. Postman wasn't good either but it wasn't this bad. The long cut is edited too. I saw Dennis Hopper went to the hospital.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This is far from the worst movie I've ever seen. I'm an hour into the long cut and I'm enjoying what is added back in.

Good to hear. I don't remember ever seeing it. I just remember making jokes about it, based on the fact that everyone else was enjoying making jokes about it. It was the best movie to make fun of in 1994. I think its commonly agreed that many more people make fun of Waterworld than have actually seen it. I'm on the fence about whether I'll like it, because I loved Postman when i was like 18, and just picked it up again and really loved it again. (At 26.) But I have to keep reminding myself: was not directed by Costner, was only featuring Costner, and directed by his friend, who left two weeks before shooting finished, and was finished by Costner... Its a strange thing to have to tell yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks